1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Gooden pitched for the Astros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jsingles, Aug 5, 2016.

1. the shark

the shark Member

First thing that came to mind reading this thread is the young kid (Ray from "Jerry Maguire") saying to Jerry, "D'you know my next door neighbor has three rabbits"?

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Dotel started that first game.

3. jsingles

jsingles Member

Other cool info on Mathews, hit that 500th home run off hall of fame pitcher Juan Marichal and ended his career as world seres champ while only playing in 2 games during that year's playoffs.

4. Buck Turgidson

Speaking of the ********ing Mets, Tommy Agee played for the Stros for a year, a couple of years after the '69 Amazin' Mets season.

Stros had the 1st pick in the '76 draft, they took Floyd Bannister. He ended up having a solid career and all but the Astros traded him 2 years later for Craig Reynolds. Not great (other than Sciocia, nobody in that 1st round was worth a damn anyway).

Bob Aspromonte owned the first Coors distributorship in Houston.

Vinny Castilla's 1/3 of a season here was amazingly great.

5. Granville

Granville Member

Other "old" Astros who made their name elsewhere

Don Sutton
    Davey Lopes

6. Buck Turgidson

Eddie Mathews

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

8. msn

msn Member

Nolan Ryan.

/duckstomatoes

9. msn

msn Member

Rafael Ramirez (on a much smaller scale)
    Roger Clemens
    Andy Pettitte
    Nelly Fox

10. Buck Turgidson

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have any weird Astros factoids or anything, but I felt like saying this:

Remember Tony Eusebio? Heavy set, slap hitting catcher who was the backup on our team for what felt like a solid decade? I had a weird love for Tony Eusebio even though I always felt like with his size he should have been much more of a power hitter. Also, it took me a long time to figure out that when someone said something about Subes they weren't talking about Tony, but about some bench/base coach (I think he was the catcher who warmed up the pitchers or something) who I didn't know anything about.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stretch Suba. http://m.mlb.com/news/article/40129000/

Eusebio was a fan favorite. I remember his 20+ game hit streak, which was really incredible because he was platooning for most of it. Also, he was nearly the hero of the 1999 playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGZAbwvu4_o :(

From 1999-2004, Steve Finley and Luis Gonzalez played for the Diamondbacks. In that first 3 year stretch (1999-2001), they combined for 197 home runs. Gonzalez was 31 at the beginning of that period, and Finley was 34.

They also played for the Astros from 1991-1994. In the first 3 year stretch, they combined for 54 home runs.

#32 NIKEstrad, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  13. msn

msn Member

I always wondered if Gonzo roided up with the Dbacks. That was one heck of a power surge.