1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight: "A lot of things were probably swept under the rug because we were winning"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Oct 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. pass_to_Hakeem

More Harden's team but I agree, Dwight should and is the leader in my books!

2. Rockie_rocker

Rockie_rocker Member

Its an another version of IT'S ON ME, but with a heart.
    Howard started this with me not getting back on defense... a true leader always talks like this.

While in the same time, McHale ...

3. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

To compare maturity you've got to note which point they are in their life.

Dwight - Money to last a lifetime. National Publicity. NBA Finals Appearence. Winning is the most important thing to him.

Harden - Is living off his first big contract. trying to grow his brand. is happy with just being number 1. eventually he'll get hungry for winning, but not there yet. He'll get to dwights lvl of "maturity" in a few years.

Parsons - Rags to riches. Just got his first contract. Thinks he is better than he probably is. Just worried about getting his touches, money, wanting to become a leader. He will be on harden level before he ever gets to dwights lvl of maturity.

Its all relative. Dwight has more yesterdays than tomorrows. Harden is the opposite and Parsons still has a lot to prove.

4. conquistador#11

that's all fine and good, but can they play harder? =)

5. baubo

baubo Member

I may be too optimistic, but I expect the Rockets to be a top 5 defense next year. Morey spent the entire offseason getting players who play D and hustle. Dwight's focus in his statements clearly echoing this sentiment of defense. I even think, or perhaps just hope, that Harden in a better environment will also play better D.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I like hearing this from the players. I would love hearing as a consistent theme during the season, even when we have a 30-12 record.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

What bench? :rolleyes:

8. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

He definitely said the right thing, as he's been doing for quite some time. His performance in the playoffs wasn't perfect, but definitely the best among Rockets, and no one even came close.

But on the other hand, most players say right things to the media, including all other Rockets. In this PC world, one inappropriate line gets media attention for weeks, especially when it's from stars.

I am not too excited about good sound bite interviews. Let's wait and see how that's unfolded in the games. In terms of holding players accountable, coach plays a big role, maybe starting from holding himself accountable.

Is the off-season over yet?

9. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Spoken like a leader. A leader is accountable for everyones actions and self assesses before pointing the finger at others.

10. deshen

deshen Member

What you said like that was pure bull****.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I think Jason Terry will play the sixth man role outside that I agree with this rotation and I believe the players on the bench will play way above the popularity rating of their names.

12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I appreciate these comments by the best player on our team. I think in short, he is calling out the players on our roster that don't care about defense.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I'm pretty sure he did

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Great to hear D12 stepping up to the plate and taking on some responsibility.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Old NBA custom of having to criticize yourself twice as much as you criticize your teammates, but I think this was really about Harden, probably his defense and shot selection.

16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Man, our bench is atrocious.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

** Our bench is unknown and may end up panning out as atrocious.

18. Hmm

Hmm Member

Essentially what he's saying is that last year... there was no accountability...

[​IMG]

At least McHale's still here...

19. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Its not sexy, thats for sure. Im hoping Troy Daniels keeps splashing threes and that Kostas really comes on as a dynamic guy off the bench. I think DMO showed he has potential to play some great basketball off the bench, but defense and foul trouble is his concern. Jeff Adrien is actually a great defensive big but doesn't offer much to the offensive game. I don't like our PG depth at all, but hopefully Canaan won't be too bad.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The thing is, when they start winning again, will the amnesia happen all over again?