1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DVD vending machines?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by outlaw, Oct 7, 2004.

1. outlaw

outlaw Member

was watching the Daily Show and they showed a commercial for these new vending machines in grocery stores that rent DVDs for $1/day. You swipe your credit card and pick the movie and then return it in the same machine. anyone seen this yet or tried it? Can't imagine there's a large selection but sounds better than $4 at blockbuster.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

They have one at the Kroger on 11th and Shepherd. I was looking at it the other day. They say they have a couple thousand movies in it. Not sure how exactly unless they burn them from some giant hard drive or something.

Looks pretty damn cool to me.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

A DVD vending machine? So I guess it's pretty safe to assume it'll have a bunch of stale Peanuts in there.

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

cool thanks i'll check if my Kroger has one too

5. HootOwl

HootOwl Contributing Member

There is also one in the Randall's at Shepherd and Westheimer. It's basically $1 a day...

6. droxford

droxford Member

That's where we do our grocery shopping! I'm definitely gonna give that a shot!

-- droxford

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

They have that stuff in France. It was a Euro every 4 hours I think.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Whatever happened to those DVDs that get erased after a certain amount of time. I heard that they were thinking of doing that in airports a while back, but never heard anything after it.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

There is one of these at the HEB on Beechnut and Beltway 8
    also at the Randalls at Wesheimer and sheperd

I have not tried it
    but i have wanted too

Rocket River
    never have the time

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I think there are a number of members who shop at this Kroger. I've only met one person from the board but I've seen pictures of Jeff's bands so... Jeff If you would bring your bass guitar to kroger with you I'll say "HI" if I see you. ;)

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Ive rented some at the Randalls at Shephard and Westhimer and the HEB at Fountainview and Westhimer. They work great. Its really easy and their selection is good. They are pretty updated with new releases but for some reason last week they were late. They had Mean Girls the first day it came out, but when I wanted to rent Walking Tall and Eternal Sunshine the first day and they didnt have it Tues, Wed, or Thurs, so I gave up and rented it at Hollywood Video.

I highly recommend it, especially if you watch it the same day and return it the next day. Its basically a flat fee of $1/day. Well worth it.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

And you thought a lot of people died shaking vending machines before. Look out.

13. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Lol, that's what I was thinking....I'm just wondering if someone could put another dvd in there to replace the one they took. I'd assume they scan the box to show it's returned, so who knows what's in the box, if anything! Yeah I'm sure they thought about all this stuff, but who knows?

Pugs

14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

There is a barcode scan sticker that is on the middle ring of the DVD that it scans. It scans that then bills you when you return the DVDs. I havent had any problems but I know a friend of mine once had a problem when the DVD was stuck on the tray when it was taking the DVD back. The good thing about it is that if you have problems, there is a local number to call if you have issues.

15. outlaw

outlaw Member

do they charge sales tax?
    what constitutes a day? 24 hours from rental?

16. PhiSlammaJamma

So what happens if you order, The Three Musketeers...

17. drapg

drapg Member

There is one at the H.E.B. at Westheimer and Fountain View.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I go to that Kroger also on my way home from work.

I would usually be there between 9:10, and 9:30, monday to thursday.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

i saw one at an apartment complex in the medical area.

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is one at the HEB I shop at. I used it a couple times now and it has worked great both times. They also have game rentals in them, but I don't know why anyone would bother to rent a game for just one day. The movie rentals make a lot more sense. Anytime I got to Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, I get 3 or 4 movies for like a weekend or something. But then I don't get around to watching one or two and they all end up being late a day or two. Mega late fees out my bum. Screw that. This way, I plan my evening around watching this one movie...it's not unlike going to the theater. Then I return the next day, and I know all I have to worry about is a $1.08 (yes there is tax...and you have to use a credit card to rent). I love it.