1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DVD Burning Help] Video_TS folder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oomp, Jan 11, 2006.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I am just getting into making DVDs. I have Nero 7 and I have a Pink Floyd movie I've had on my computer forever that I would like to burn to disc. All of the files are in a folder called Video_TS. When I dump the .VOB files into Nero, it acts like the menu files are actually movie files and then it wants me to make a new menu. I'm sure there is an easier way to do this, can anyone help?

BTW: I did a search to see if I could find an answer that way and I found this thread:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=27153&highlight=video+folder&z=1

Funny how much has changed in 4 years...

2. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Here...I wrote this guide to burning DVD for a friend in South Carolina...It was a quick type up, but he seemed to be able to use it pretty well without any complications. This is the way I have always burned DVD's

Here is the guide, I will be using Rocky as my example:

Part 1 – DVD Decrypter

1. Put the rented Rocky DVD into your DVD player on the laptop. The DVD program may load to play your DVD but cancel it and exit out.
    2. Open DVD decrypter, DO NOT change any of the default options
    3. You will see a button that looks like a directory folder on the screen, click it (its in the destination section)
    4. Click on My Computer then click on C Drive then Make New Folder
    5. This program RIPS the entire DVD onto your computer, so create a name for the directory something like RockyRIP
    6. Click OK then it will take you back to the main screen. On the bottom you will see an image that says DVD and then has a button next to it to start the Ripping. Click it
    7. This will take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes.
    8. Once it is done, close DVD Decrypter.

Part 2 – DVD Shrink

1. Once the Ripping is done, Open DVD Shrink
    2. Once the program loads, Click on the button that says Open Files
    3. Click it, and then it will ask you to browse for folder
    4. Select the directory where you ripped the DVD earlier, in this example it is RockyRIP
    5. Once you do this it will start analyzing the folder, this should only take 5 minutes max
    6. Original DVD's are almost 9 gig's, but the blank discs we buy from the store are only 4.7 gig's. The 9 gig blank discs are like 8 dollars each.
    7. Now we have two options. We can either shrink the DVD to 4.7 gig's (as per the name of the program), or we can re-author the DVD and put whatever we want on it (This is what I normally do). Shrinking the DVD will reduce the quality of the picture, sometimes significantly but it will retain the original format of the DVD like the main menu and extras.

Shrinking the DVD:

1. Once you analyze the DVD, it will show a bunch of information under the Full Disc Tab.
    2. You will see three directories named Menus, Main Movie, and Extras. If you look on the right side you will see Compression Settings for each directory and options that you can select or deselect. Under the Video tab on the right side you will see it say Automatic and then a percentage underneath it. This is how compressed the program will make each segment. If you click on the different directories on the left side, you will see the compression setting for each.
    3. Again, on the right side, you can deselect options like Audio in different languages and captions in different languages. If you unclick some of these boxes, it will reduce the size of the movie and make it look better, but still not super good. If you want to leave it like this (Some DVD's may only be 4.7 gig's) then you can just click the Backup button on the top. You will see a box that you can type in a directory name on the bottom. Make a new name like RockyDVD and then select backup. If it says that region protection has been found just click OK. This should take 30 min or so. Once it is done backing up the VD, you can exit the program. We will use ImgTool Burn to burn the DVD.

Reauthor the DVD:

• To reauthor the DVD, click on the Re-author tab on the top. Once you do that you will see the screen split up into two columns again. When you use this mode, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO KEEP THE MENUS OR EXTRAS ON THE DVD!!!! THE MAIN MOVIE WILL BE EXACT QUALITY OF THE RENTED ONE THOUGH, OR VERY CLOSE TOO IT!
    • On the right side of the screen, you will see a tab called DVD Browser. Click on it
    • You will then see three segments again called Menus, Main Movie, and Extras. Don't worry about the menus or extras section. In the Main Movie Section you may see two or three files. They are normally called Title1 Title2 and Title3. These may all be the same movie but one may be widescreen, one full screen, and the other with captions. That's why the files are sooo big.
    • Click on Title 1 first. Once you do that there is a small black window in the bottom left corner. You will see a play and stop button. Click on the play button and you can see exactly what that file is. You can see if it is full screen.....
    • Once you find the version of the movie you want, Drag the file over from the right side to the left side into the DVD Structure Window. In this example, I am using Title 1.
    • Once you do that, click on the file on the left Side (Title 1) in this example. On the right side there is a tab called Compression Settings. Click on this.
    • You will see a video section on the right side. Look at this percentage undernesth it and it will tell you how compressed this file will be in order to fit. For Rocky, it says 84.2%. That is still too low for me. I want 99 or 100.
    • Next step, I look on the right side and see the Audio section under the Video section. It has 5 options: AC3 5.2 English, 2Ch English and then a spanish, french, and german option. I dont want the last three languages, so deselct those. Now the compression under the video setting says 100%. Perfect!
    • If it is still not 100%, look at the Subpicture section on the right side. These are very small files and don't really matter, but you can de-select those if you want too. They are just captions.
    • Now click backup button on the top, Create a directory like C:\RockyDVD, and then click Backup! It may say that region protection has been found. Leave it to Region 1 and click ok, then backup
    • This will take 30 min or so. Once done, close the program.

Part 3 – ImgTool Burn

• Open ImgTool Burn.
    • Insert a blank DVD and click on the blue refresh button next to the write speed box on the top of the window. This will just refresh the max speed you can burn at. Once this is done Click on the Directory Button in the Burn DVD section.
    • Select the Folder that you just created in DVD Shrink. We used RockyDVD. Don't use the RockyRIP folder. This is wrong and will not work.
    • Once you select the folder, click on the burn button on the bottom. Then wait like 20 min and your DVD is done! Put in your DVD player and watch it!
    • If you re-authored the DVD, you will not have any menus or extras. The movie will just start from the beginning, but it will be bad ass quality.