1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dunleavy waiting to see how Yao talks pan out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BobFinn*, Jun 8, 2002.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Thursday, June 6
    Updated: Saturday, June 8, 2:49 PM ET

Dunleavy waiting to see how Yao talks pan out
    By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CHICAGO -- Mike Dunleavy's decision on whether to stay in the NBA draft could hinge on negotiations between the Houston Rockets and Yao Ming this week in China.

Dunleavy, a 6-foot-9 Duke junior forward, said Saturday that he is keeping close tabs on what happens because it could affect his draft status. He's well aware that the Rockets could take him with the No. 1 pick if the Rockets decide against drafting Yao. The Rockets already have a point guard in Steve Francis and would likely shy away from Dunleavy's teammate, Jay Williams.

"The situation with Yao Ming in China affects my decision a bit,'' Dunleavy told ESPN.com. Dunleavy made a decision to come to Chicago on Friday for three days of NBA-sponsored physicals in case he stays in the draft. "I haven't come to a decision yet as to whether or not I go back to Duke for my senior year and go through a wonderful experience or fulfill a lifelong dream of going to the NBA.''

Dunleavy has until June 19 to decide if he's going to stay in the June 26 draft. The Rockets sent four team representatives to China on Saturday for an open-ended trip. The Rockets should know if they are going to get assurances that Yao will not be yanked back to China during the regular season when they meet with Shanghai Sharks and Chinese basketball representatives in the league and the government. But if they don't know the answer before the 19th, then Dunleavy will have an even tougher decision because negotiations could conceivably break down a few days after the deadline. The Rockets said they wouldn't wait until draft day to see if a deal with Yao can be done.

Dunleavy said he knows he won't be the top pick in 2003, which is expected to be Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary High wing LeBron James.

"Everyone says that I should come back next year and that I will go higher but that's not the case,'' Dunleavy said. "There could be high school kids and with the way they draft I could slip no matter what kind of year I have. There's no point in me deciding right now. It could all change in a week.

"If everything turns out how it is right now then I've got to sit down and do something concrete,'' Dunleavy said. "There isn't enough complete information. I just got to feel really good about it and make the call. Coach (Mike Krzyzewski of Duke) has been real helpful. Three years ago it would have been tougher (because of Duke losing players early in the draft for the first time), but coach has gone through it and he wants what is best for me.''

Dunleavy affects the draft order more than any other player outside of Yao. Kansas' Drew Gooden, Connecticut's Caron Butler, Maryland's Chris Wilcox, Memphis' Dajuan Wagner and Northeast Mississippi Community College's Qyntel Woods will have their draft position affected by Dunleavy's decision. They could all move up or stay anywhere from 3 to 8.

"Golden State (at No. 3) is interested in Dunleavy and so is Memphis (at No. 4) and so is everyone so he will affect the draft like Yao Ming will affect the draft,'' Gooden said.

But the advice from his family seems to be that he should go back to Duke.

"I told him over the weekend that I think he should go back because he's struggling with it this much,'' Mike Dunleavy Sr. told ESPN.com. "This should be something he wants to do. It's all about going back for his senior year. It's not about the teams. It's not about where he's going to go. They're all great cities. He didn't plan for it. He could have graduated and would have done it. He's looking forward to the challenge of his senior year and it being his team.''

Dunleavy Sr., the former coach of the Blazers and Lakers and a former player with the Bucks, said his son is savvy to the financial benefit of leaving early. He isn't under any financial duress but would be "giving away $15 million,'' according to Dunleavy, by not getting into the draft and starting the clock toward his second contract in four years.

"There is a draw for both sides,'' Dunleavy Sr. said. "They're both good for different reasons. If he goes back he could get his number retired and have a chance to be player of the year. I'm his father and I wouldn't put him in a position if he weren't a lock for the top five.''

Dunleavy isn't scheduled to hold any individual workouts after the Chicago draft camp. Dunleavy would be a consensus preseason all-American and one of the top candidates for player of the year if he returns to Duke.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/story?id=1391826

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Does he really want to play in Houston or does he just want the money a number 1 pick gets?

3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Well personally i really dont think houston would take Dunleavy with the #1 pick. If the thing with Yao Ming does not work out, we will trade down. Feedbacks?

4. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I personally think Dunleavy should go back to Duke for his Sr. year. He was my favorite college basketball player last year because he can play inside and outside. I dont see why players leave early to go to the NBA, they are missing out on a lot of experience. IMO, anyone else agree?

5. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Oh Good gosh, Mike Dunleavy Jr. a #1 pick. There is no way in hell a spot up jump shooter will ever be a #1 pick. What moron would select the worse of two teammates. Do you think Coach K was just saving Dunleavy when he kept giving the ball to Jay Williams. I mean he could have had Williams play a more traditional PG role.

The reason Dunleavy isn't working out is because he does not want to be exposed!

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I completely agree with you Memphis. I think Dunleavy is overhyped because he plays at Duke. There is no way he's a lottery pick this year, let alone the #1 pick overall. If you're going to draft him with a lottery pick, the Rockets better trade that #1 pick for an impact player and another high pick and then draft Dunleavy with it.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

No way he's a lottery pick? Well, anyone can argue his worth or lack thereof, but he will be drafted in the top 5...that is, unless he fears Golden State will wind up with him. Then it's back to Coach K.

Now, does the guy think Rudy wanted him? In which case, too bad we got the #1. Because how would we trade down for him?

I hope he stays in the draft. This draft has some depth. He can't screw that up. He...he just can't!

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm not sure that Dunleavy would be a solid 2nd round pick. He just seems alright to me. First pick would make me laugh and then quickly cry if the rockets had not already traded the first pick.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm gonna do a reverse isiah thomas here, and say that if mike dunleavy weren't white, no of you would see the problems you say you see with his game.

dunleavy is a hell of a player...clearly the guy is a lottery pick.

10. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

"There is no way he's a lottery pick this year"

"I'm not sure that Dunleavy would be a solid 2nd round pick. He just seems alright to me."

Yet, Kareem Rush, a black spot up jump shooter with less size, potential, and talent, will definitely be a late lottery/mid 1st round pick. I see the racial profiling.

Please, Dunleavy will be a good player in this league, much better than his father. He is a 6'9" point forward, that can shoot LIGHTS OUT from 26 feet (forget the three-point line). Many teams covet that. Personally, I hope he drops to the Knicks (very unlikely) if he stays in the draft. He showed his killer instinct against Arizona, all he needs is more consistently. Shane Battier had a pretty good rookie season, and Mike is better than Shane. Face it--Mike is good.

11. BobFinn*

Dunleavy is good enough for the #1 pick. Players with his skill don't come around often. If talks with China break down, the Rockets would be wise to draft Dunleavy.

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Bingo! Reverse discrimination rears its ugly head. Anti-Jrs please spare us...Dunleavy is NOT Jason Collier reincarnated.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is Dunleavy Jr. even doing workouts? The only news I ever hear about him is what is effecting his decision to stay in the draft or drop out. It sounds as if he is relying on his hype to sell him to the higher up picks. Guys like Caron Butler have been doing workouts and impressing teams right and left to improve their draft stock, and Mike just assumes he will be a candidate for the #1 pick if Yao drops out. I'm sure there is information he (Dunleavy) has that I don't, but it all seems rather arrogant to me.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

What about his defense? Battier is better defensively, isn't he?

I put this in the form of a question because I really dont' know all that much about anyone except the Rockets.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I believe he is scheduled for a few workouts next week or the week before the draft, and the Rockets are on his list. I forget the others and the exact dates; I wonder if he'll even bother showing up for Golden State.

16. Axeman

Axeman Member

Scoop: Looks like the Rockets will take Dunleavy if Yao falls thru

Looks like the Rockets have a back up plan, and it's not Caron Butler. This explains why the Rockets do not have a representative at the pre-draft camp in Chicago. Also, doesn't come as a surprise considering Rudy T's friendship with Dunleavy Sr....

Article from ESPN.com:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/story?id=1391826

#16 Axeman, Jun 9, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2002
  17. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Nah.... article doesn't say that really. It just says depending on what Yao does, it could make Dunleavy that much more valuable of a pick and conceivably he could go #1, but not that the Rockets <B>will</B> take him #1 if not Yao. If the Rockets and Ming can't work out a deal, but Yao stays in the draft, the Rockets would be crazy in my opinion to use the #1 pick unless they have a trade in mind already.

At worst, they should dump the #1 to GS and get something worthwhile to go with the #3 .... then see what Chicago does, but probably draft Dunleavy or Butler from there.

But that's assuming the worst case scenario, which we can't do just yet.

19. BobFinn*

LOL, dang Axe, the least you could do is read the first post of a thread.:D

20. TxCowboy96

TxCowboy96 Member

If Rox draft Yao - Dunleavy goes back to school

Dunleavy on ESPN says that he is waiting to see how things goes with the Rox and Yao before deciding if he will go back to school. Apparently, he is expecting and waiting for the Rox to tab him as the number one pick. And apparently he really wants to play for the Rox, cuz Golden State and Memphis who has the number 3 and 4 pick respectively are interested in Dunleavy.