1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duane Brown traded to Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Oct 30, 2017.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think where they messed up was not planning for him leaving. They assumed he would hold-out and then eventually come back before the season begun. Once the season started it was too late to get a competent free agent LT.

2. csj

csj Member

He played in Houston without a new deal just like he did in Seattle. He did so because he was at risk of losing the season's salary AND credit against become a FA. Furthermore, he didn't sign a new contract in Seattle for the same reason he didn't sign one in Houston, it wasn't offered. Finally, he had no control over the trade, he did only what he could...and that was pursue the money.

Not only do you grossly misrepresent all of this, it's really clear you know you're doing it.

Exactly how he saw it, and he thought he could cash in on it. It was all about the money, and Duane Brown is a liar and a race-baiter.

Complete and total BS. He not only failed to be silent, he deliberately took the low road. Duane Brown used race baiting against the owner of the team and continued to so after the trade. You're a fool.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

#1...Brown received a new contract after the season,
    #2... The Players loved Brown in Houston. Bobby the wrong saying otherwise is BS. He was not in that locker room, so he doesn’t know.

The only people who hated Brown are Trumpers and Bob McNair.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Duane Brown actually was silent during the holdout. His comments about our racist owner came only after he reported to the team. You should get your facts in order before calling other people a "fool" -- friendly suggestion.

5. csj

csj Member

He made comments about the owner many times including before the holdout. His opinion was not news only after his holdout ended, it was held up by Brown as the reason for the holdout in the first place. We know that's not true, of course, but claiming he only commented about the owner afterward is absurd.

It's not just about the "inmates" comment, either, he had no opportunity to comment on that during the holdout. Once it occurred, though, he immediately started talking about it, being featured in the very first articles. If Brown wanted to be classy he would have kept his mouth shut but he was more interested in poisoning the well. No one here knows what Brown said or didn't say during his holdout, we only know what's been reported on and what we've actually seen.

Regardless, Duane Brown did not take the high road, he was the scumbag. Duane Brown signed a contract, made a lot of guaranteed money, complained once the guaranteed money was gone, made racism accusations when the team would not extend him early, then held out and forced a trade. His new team wouldn't extend him early either. It was all about money and damaging another man's reputation and hurting the team meant nothing to him.

Finally, Nimo is a fool for all the things he said on the issue, not just one. Thanks for the "friendly suggestion" though, I figure it's the best you can do.
    This is what's called irony. No one here "was in the locker room", but apparently making up crap is OK if you're on the right side. No doubt some liked Brown, but others didn't just like every teammate. Very likely fewer liked him once he screwed over his team.

If people would get over their absurd hatred of people they don't know, you know kinda like what racism is, then this thread could die. Duane Brown is no longer on the team and the Texans are better for it. Better to cheer for a bad team than cheer for greedy, dishonest race-baiters.

DikembeOlajuwan likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, only a complete moron would legitimately think that Bob McNair is racist. I mean, a window licking, knuckle dragging simpleton.

So yeah, unless you really are "that guy", don't make it seem like you are "that guy". Just a friendly suggestion.

7. LongTimeFan

OK @csj , this is it. Your time to shine. Are you hollow like BobbyJr or is there actual substance behind your arguments?

Can you link me to comments he made about bad about McNair during or before his holdout? I haven't seen any; the first negative I comments saw came after the "inmate" comparison leaked.

What? His holdout was about money. Please link me to comments from DB where he states he was holding out because of McNair?

From what I've read, it's pretty much a fact. If you have links to articles of what I asked for above, I am certainly open to changing my position. Are you open to changing your position?

What are you even saying? Should the "very first articles" have been about what the Cleveland Browns think about the Texans owner's comments?

DeAndre Hopkins and Donta Foreman walked out of practice when they heard the comments. Clowney dressed up as an inmate for Halloween as a shot at McNair. When Will Fuller was asked for his comments, he stated would let DB speak for him.

"There was so many other people who wanted to but that fear factor was there. But I was like '(screw it), you don't have to, I will.'"-DB.

I don't mean to paint DB a hero in this now. He knew that he would be "punished," as in he would finally get his wish and be traded. But he still provided the shield for other players who wished to speak out but were afraid of the consequences.

Duane Brown wasn't poison. He didn't disrupt the Texans chemistry. The Texans offense looked incredible with him in the lone game he played vs. Seattle. We weren't a better team that year without him. Any description like "cancer" or "poison" just reveals the person's personal feelings toward DB and is not football-related.

I have read this so many times and I still have no idea what it means. Moving on..

" scumbag " -- personal feelings, like I said. I agree he signed the contract and held out once he ran out of guaranteed money. I agree he did not take the high road and hasn't been afraid to speak his mind.

But you should also keep in mind -- Bob McNair is a liar. How crazy is it for an owner to go to his team and tell them, "I know a lot of you are happy about Obama, but it's not what a lot of us wanted." Then he denies it in same interview he says he regrets apologizing and calls Duane Brown a liar; except several former Texans player backup Duane Brown's story.

So should we be more mad at the millionaire player for speaking his mind or the billionaire owner who can get away with insensitive comments by apologizing, taking back the apology, and blatantly lying to you about another incident he was in with players? Does it have to be one or the other?

This is fake news. Please provide link to comments from DB that would show this. The first time DB made comments on race and McNair that I'm aware of was after the inmate comment.

When you can't find anything to backup your comments above, please keep this quote in mind.

DieHard Rocket and TheRealist137 like this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

There are only two people on my ignore list on here. csj is one of them. I love having intelligent discussion and debates even about hot button topics about religion and politics. I've learned a lot this way. But not when people resort to personal insults and name-calling to make up for weak arguments.

9. csj

csj Member

My basis is Brown's own assertion that McNair's racism was known among players going back to at least the 2008 election and he can't make that claim unless he talked about it with those players. That suggests that Brown would have a nearly decade-long history of talking about McNair's "racism". I don't need to waste further time on this issue because (a) Brown has made this clear himself, and (b) I don't have respect for Brown so further research doesn't help me. You are free to look into this yourself if you want, my job is to convince myself and I don't really care what you think. It's not as though the comments I responded to were supported with evidence.
    I agree, Brown's holdout was entirely about money and nothing but money. Tell that to Nimo, who's comments you decided to insert yourself into (by talking about "our racist owner" btw).

Brown, however, in an effort to make himself look good denied that it was solely about money and instead said it was about the horrible organization he wanted out of due to the racist owner. Perhaps you should (re-)watch the Brown interview with Arian Foster.
    It's not a fact because Brown himself says otherwise. You are basing your claim on having seen nothing in the press. That he's not quoted in the press isn't proof that he never discussed it. The press, in fact, made it a point that DB didn't talk during the holdout and they also made a point that McNair didn't support DB in ways he felt entitled to. The press supported DB's narrative in the articles at the time because they desired to publish McNair/NFL flamebait.

If DB never talked about his reasons for the holdout until it was over, then would you claim that no one talked about DB's reasons until afterward? How would they know? DB said he talked frequently with players during the holdout and his reasons seemed pretty well known. It's clear then that he did talk during the holdout, just without press coverage.
    Look who's talking. I've never argued that DB can't play the game, take that complaint up with BTG. I said that DB wanted to "poison the well", that is to further damage his relationship with the organization. As for your other comments, you don't know any of that and it's just "personal feelings".
    DB signed a contract after he felt the owner was racist and then he violated that contract. I see no reason to keep anything in mind regarding McNair, it's all about what DB did. I agree, though, that McNair is a liar. So is DB.
    False choice. The issue is DB's violation of his contract, his lying about his motivations for it, and his race-baiting. It is also not being "mad a player for speaking his mind" to dislike what that player has to say. Note that none of this has to do with McNair, and the entire McNair discussion is really just a smokescreen to cover for DB's character issues. It's possible to dislike McNair's comments without taking DB's side, although not apparently for anyone here.
    Apparently your argument comes down to a demand that I produce a specific press account of a specific comment before a specific date, yet lack of such a reference is not proof it doesn't exist or that an event didn't occur. I suggest you listen to DB's own account in the Foster podcast, starting around minute 40.

If you want to engage in objective conversation, don't engage in Trump-eque trolling. I don't respect anyone who uses the term "fake news", particularly those who demonstrate vulnerability to it themselves.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The fact this thread is still open and active proves to me this is by far the worst sub on cf.net and you morons don't like football you like drama.

mario_v likes this.
  11. LongTimeFan

My argument came down to you producing ANY evidence that backed up your affirmative statements.

I am sorry @csj, but you have proven to be another BobbyJr. A ton of assertions and assumptions with zero evidence to back it up. I tried to give you a fair shot to backup your claims and change my mind, but you have failed.

I do find funny your angst against "trump-esque trolling" right after you launched into a anti-media tirade.

You are hereby deemed incapable of having a reasonable discussion with on this topic. Good day, sir.

...I said GOOD DAY!

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Somebody left their csj running. Could you please turn it off. It's flooding up the garm.

13. csj

csj Member

What a surprise! Would never have guessed this response ;)

I referenced the Brown/Foster podcast starting at minute 40. Better evidence than anything you, or Nimo, provided, and your description of my post as an "anti-media tirade" is ridiculous. Stop pretending you're objective or trying to give anyone a "fair shot". Your "mind" about "our racist owner" isn't up for change nor was I under any delusion that it was. When you lead with BTG insults you show your hand.

All anyone needs to do is listen to Brown talk about the situation himself. Better information than anyone's racist garbage being spewed in this thread.

14. csj

csj Member

Oh, is this the GARM? I didn't realize it was reserved for you!

15. Papa John

Papa John Member

How is that mcnair statue working out for you? BAWAHAHA
    HA

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Every time his name comes up it reminds me how happy I am that he's gone.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

We already know you are not very smart.

Fulgore and TheRealist137 like this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The trade for Brown cannot be judged until the draft picks play out. The 5th round pick was traded to move up to get G Rankin. Interesting enough, Shaquem Griffin was taken with that 5th round pick. We will see what the 2nd round pick brings....

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, I'd be offended if you were someone that mattered or had an intelligent opinion to offer. As it is, thanks for the laugh.