1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duane Brown reports back to the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Oct 23, 2017.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I agree. I think NFL players get bad advice from agents because it puts more money in the agents pockets. Trust me, players could have the power but that big upfront guaranteed money is very enticing. But that's why I said earlier, that's fine but can't have it both ways. You either want it all upfront or you don't but either way honor the damn contract.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Every fan should be happy that he's back and in shape. Dude is a pro and will be fine.

With Watt and Mercilus down, DB is much needed. Run the ball, eat up clock.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Smart NFL teams just don’t offer extended contracts with guaranteed money backloaded at the end. They just don’t do that. They may restructure, but that is almost always done to benefit the team’s cap situation and not the player.

It’s disingenuous to suggest that Brown had some sort of option to either accept a large amount of guaranteed money up front or spread it out over the length of the contract. A contract like that benefits no one in the NFL. That’s why it doesn’t exist.

And this is cool Ming from someone who thought that Brown made a horrible miscalculation by holding out.

#123 HR Dept, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. ipaman

Well duh... you factor that in and make sure the upfront money covers the non-guaranteed back end so you're not worried about injury or what not. i.e., get your 6 years worth of "guaranteed" money paid out in 4 guaranteed years for example. If the player isn't smart enough to do that and instead is gonna rely on a holdout, then the player and their agent are idiots. That's on them.

Also, let's not forget there are only 32 starting NFL LT jobs in the world. No player is forced to play or forced to sign a contract. It's all voluntary. If a player doesn't like their collectively bargained NFL style contracts and business but loves football there are plenty of other leagues around the world who might have contract styles they prefer. Now if the player wants to be resolute about contracts and how they work, talk to their union and do something about it.

#124 ipaman, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I would trade him for Sherman, maybe Rodgers-Cromartie, or a pass rusher right now. But if no one is offering that, we need him on the Oline.

6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

No I did not.
    You mean if he showed up, got hurt in the 1st preseason game and is out for the year he gets his full $9 million (or whatever it is) salary.
    If this is true then that raises much higher the probability that Duane just wanted a new, longer deal with years added on.
    And in that case I don't have much sympathy for him at all.

He (holding out) just was banking on the oline being so bad that they would worry for DW's health and cave in to his demands.
    That would be weird sitting at home watching your teamates on tv.
    Do you root for them to win or to suck so you get a new contract?

At any rate he didn't count on Deshaun's great escapability skills.
    Or remember that BOB's skill in scheming his offense to minimize the presence of one (or more) crappy players and still get decent results is on par with DW's scrambling.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You say that as if it's a reasonable demand during a contract negotiation. Why would a team ever agree to pay a player an equivalent of six year's salary during a span of four? Then guarantee it nonetheless.That's just ridiculous and doesn't even make sense.

Players get their market value at the time that the contract is signed. If their value changes either way, the only remedy is for the team to cut them or for the player to hold out. And that's exactly what happened here.

Nimo likes this.
  8. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Happy he’s back

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. ipaman

jeezus h christ... you don't tell them your freaking plan and thought process voluntarily. if you're negotiating a 4+2 year deal you don't care about the last 2 years. they should not factor in at all into negotiations if you and your agent are smart. but again don't tell them that. those last 2 years are worthless in the nfl. everyone knows it so don't even consider them from a monetary perspective. but again don't tell them that. you ask for your 6 year value and make sure it's paid in the first 4 guaranteed years. again don't tell them that. they say yes or they don't and you try and find that deal somewhere else. if everyone says no then you overstated your 6 year value. if they don't understand that then that's a bad agent and bad strategy.

look at bouye as an example to his approach did it "right." Jax gave him 5 year 67.5m, 26m fully guaranteed, last 3 years are non-guaranteed. Texans biggest offer was 5 year 60m, 22m guaranteed. Quote from Bouye "Texans' offer was the lowest on the front end of any serious suitor." His quote proves the extra 4 million was the important part and not the extra 7.5 million. He didn't care about the extra 7.5 million. The texans could have offered overall package less (they did) but matched the 26m guaranteed (they didn't, 4m less) and probably kept him. So if he was smart he will be happy with the last 3 years regardless how they work out. Paid, hurt, cut, don't matter got my extra 4m up front which is what he cared about. my complaint with brown is that he knows this too and you can't have it both ways. you can't be pissed at the end and happily accept the front end. he should have made a deal where the front end was so happy that the back end didn't matter.

last thing, i swear you guys are stupid and i wish i could make deals with you all.

csj likes this.
  10. csj

csj Member

1) Players get their market value at the time that the contract is signed IF they negotiate it.
    2) What evidence is there that Dwayne Brown's market value changed after he signed his contract?
    3) How do you know exactly what happened here?

Not factored into your comment is the team's situation. It seems quite clear that Brown's value hasn't changed, he's been quite steady, and that he held out because he perceived a negotiating advantage with the team's problems at his position. I'd say what you claim is NOT exactly what happened.

ipaman likes this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

He was graded #4 by this draft guide as a guard. Does say he has "naturally smooth kick slide", but I'm not sure if he's LT material.

4. Dorian Johnson #53 - 6-5, 300, Pittsburgh - Sp 5.25 Rating 80 Tough reliable senior guard has been a starter since late in his true freshman season, earning ACC honors his final two years. Huge 6'5” frame with decent arm length and well suited for the inside at the next level after playing in a pro-style offense. Likes playing a physical brand of football and mauling defenders inline as a run blocker is one of his stronger suits. Does not look as comfortable when asked to pull or get outside to lead a bubble screen and does not look smooth on the move in open spaces. Lacks consistency getting contact in those settings, but his big frame can still get in the way and effect defenders moving to the ball. As a pass blocker, he sets up fairly well with decent quickness. Shows good balance and awareness. Naturally smooth kick-slide and is able to use his big strong hands to lock on and control defenders, though not always consistent in that regard. Has an odd body type and looks long through the torso relative to his leg length. Appears to be a lumbering runner when blocking on the move such as getting to the 2nd level. At the NFL Combine, he came in at 6’5” 300 lbs. with 35 1/4” arms and 10 7/8” hands. He ran a 5.27 time with 21 reps, a 30” VL and a 9’6” BJ. He added a 5.08 shuttle and 8.39 three cone. Powerful versatile blocker shows consistent technique to grade out highly in pass protection. Falling prospect with potential and definite starting grade inside. Must show commitment for technique details to grade out higher as a drive blocker. Probable early round choice and a marginal top 100 prospect with a quality skill set. Overall inconsistencies label him a boom and bust prospect. Prospect needs basic work to realize his potential. His extensive experience at a high level affords him the potential to start early where high grades gives him a chance to start within a few seasons in the right setting. Solid starter with refinement of his natural talent. Draft Projection: 3rd Round

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That's correct...the moment you report to training camp, your salary for the season is protected from injury.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Only if placed on PUP or IR but no way the Texans were going to cut him in training camp for a minor injury so his salary this year was pretty much guaranteed. So regardless of the team aspect, Brown either got some really bad advice or didn't listen to the right people. He threw away $5M+ for his holdout that he won't recoup.

justtxyank likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is sort of misleading.

If he got hurt and went on IR he'd be guaranteed his pay.

If he gets hurt and it just slows him down, makes him ineffective upon return, etc. he can be cut. Furthermore, it's next year he's likely worried about. He gets hurt this year, misses a bunch of games and is rehabbing in the offseason he can be cut ahead of next year.

It's extremely common for a player with non-guaranteed years left to want to get taken care of. We also have no idea what went on here. We are just making assumptions. What if Rick Smith told him they'd take care of him and now has changed his mind? Duane wouldn't be the first player to say that Rick was a snake.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Wont be the last either.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

And with their first pick in the 2018 NFL draft... the Houston Texans select.... <insert name here>, Tackle, <school>

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Getting something out of Davenport and/or Dorian Johnson next season would be absolutely huge for the franchise. Otherwise, we're going to have some major holes with Clark, Breno, XSF, Mancz, and Lamm all being FAs. Wouldn't mind resigning Mancz but the rest can all hit the road.

But I'd say go after Solder and hope he doesn't want to take the Belichick discount. He's not elite but still pretty good and relatively young. Otherwise, I'm not sure the Texans can wait until the 3rd to get our OT, hate giving up more picks but I'd package one of our 3rds + a future pick to move up if we have to.

18. csj

csj Member

It's also extremely common for players, and posters in forums, to immediately forget about the guaranteed money already paid that was part of "taking care of the player" to begin with. Contracts must be viewed in their entirety, not just on what is remaining. Brown is playing out a very good contract yet held out for something. We know this as a fact.

Yes, we have no idea what went on here. What reason is there to believe that representatives of the team have gone back on their word to Brown, especially considering what we do know? This "what have you done for me lately" argument is tired and unconvincing. Perhaps Brown was promised ownership of the team, after all "we have no idea what went on here". It's possible, but unlikely, just like your suggestion that Rick Smith is to blame.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wasn't making the suggestion like I believe it's what happened. I'm just saying we should avoid bashing either side here. We have no idea what all is going on between them. This has devolved into ridiculousness.

20. csj

csj Member

It's always been ridiculousness and suggesting that Rick Smith is to blame, whether you believe it or not, contributes to it. Sure, some people understand it's only a hypothetical but keep in mind the readership. At least some are likely to interpret that as insider knowledge.

Sure, posters should avoid commenting on things they do not know, but 90+% of everything posted would disappear include 100% of some of the most prolific "contributors" who might well post exactly what you just said in all seriousness. For them, you just confirmed it. Sad but true.