1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DT - What's the solution?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Plowman, May 8, 2024.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's 34 for those of you in Rio Linda.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Like every position, it is never settled due to injuries and under performance or off field distractions. But we have strengthened both our starting group and particularly our 2nd group. If a starter goes down, the backups don't scare me and more importantly, I don't think it would necessarily require a change to game plans because of the backups.

For instance if Schultz goes down, Stover is the same type of player, unlike adjusting to a Brevin Jordan who has a different skill-set. Same with Collins, he is big, fast and strong and Noah Brown is the same type of lplayer to get downfield and fight for YAC. Though diggs is WR2, he matches up with Dell as a type as Dell also splits time at the slot.

While this is the Receiver group, you will see the same thing throughout the team. Caserio is doubling up skill-sets as well as positions.

Just an observation from afar.

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

While not "settled", I believe the second starter is lightly penciled in as Khalil Davis. I also believe Demeco likes the Nascar Line-up with smaller, faster and disruptive interior DL. But he also believes in a heavy rotation which means starting won't mean as much as usual.

dholi_1 likes this.
  4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NFL execs apparently disagree with you on the DE vs DT value because DEs get paid more, on average, than DTs. Which makes sense since the offensive tackles make a lot more than interior offensive lineman, on average.

Marshall Bryant and houstonstime like this.
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Chris Jones' effect on the Chiefs winning Super Bowls and his new contract has narrowed that gap for DTs that can also rush the passer. This off-season was a major breakthrough for the position.

The shift in leverage between Jones and the team in one year was crazy. Several other DTs got more in free agency this year than they could have dreamed of last year.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The D Line will be:

Anderson-Watt-Autrey-Hunter

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It was better than what we have this yr.

8. raining threes

Autry is every bit as good as Rankin's, go check him out. Davis played as well as Collins towards the latter part of last year. Then they have upgraded the backups with Fukasi and Settle. In fact Nook has said Settle is.very underrated and hasn't had injury issues. Fukasi if healthy is a top tier run stopper, but staying healthy has been an issue.

Overall I think they're better and have more depth.

houstonstime likes this.
  9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Ok, for DT maybe.. but would you rather have last year’s DLine or this years?

raining threes likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I must point out that NFL Executives are a copy cat or reactive league as a whole while a very few are innovators whose success others copy.

raining threes likes this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think it’s more related to the shift to a passing rather than running one.. getting to the qb is more important than stopping the run. Therefore, you spend more on the DE than the DT.

Chris Jones and Aaron Donald are able to get to the QB from up the middle which is rare. So they got a bunch of other DT’s paid, but in reality, those other DTs aren’t AD or Jones so it will end up biting those teams in the ass. (read: I’m glad we got Hunter over Wilkins)

12. raining threes

I wanted Hunter and Wilkins but the money got to be too much for Wilkins, so plan B, they spent money on two guys that can get to the QB for basically what they would've paid Wilkins. Plan B will give them what will probably be the best pass rush in the league and fans are still complaining. SMH

houstonstime likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The "copycat" league is why 'they got a bunch of other DT's PAID'.

I like Caserio because he finds value where others don't. I hope that continues in tandem with our coaching staffs being able to get the most from most of the players.

houstonstime and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It’s pretty crazy.. a year ago we are just trying to get better, have the new coaching turn Stingley loose (hopefully), get a QB that can do something with our 3rd round WR, get a few 1 yr contracts on the books and see what sticks. and hope that WAJ isn’t Clowney 2.0…

now, we add Hunter, Azeez, mixon, Diggs, Autry, Okudah.. even go after depth adding Skowronek, Fisher, ford… draft for need with Lassiter and Bullock…
    We have pro bowl level players at every single position group. But hey, we don’t have pro bowl players at all 22 spots so what are we even doing?!?!?!

15. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

I liked Kris Jenkins out of Michigan but apparently management either didn't or felt that Lassiter was the more prudent selection. We'll see.