1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

drop patrick, get sabas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Valio!, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Valio!

Valio! Member

Patrick Ewing is useless in developing Yao's game. If Yao could learn to snag more rebounds and make better, crisper (perhaps unexpected) passes to the outside, he might find himself with more opportunities inside.

The Rockets should try to lure Sabonis away from Lithuania to work with Yao. He's closer to Yao's height, has excellent passing skills, and comes to the NBA as an international player (shouldn't underestimate the value of perspective).

I dont know how good of a coach he could be, but certainly would have more impact than Ewing.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Patrick Ewing isn't here to teach Yao

he's here to coach..and visit the strip clubs

#2 KaiSeR SoZe, Mar 1, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  3. Valio!

Valio! Member

In that case, drop patrick as a coach. get sabas to work with yao.

4. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

"It's funny 'cause it's true...It's so true" Homer Simpson

5. The Ming Dynasty

Sabonis? Get Malone! No, not the mailman...Moses! He taught Akeem.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I've heard rumblings before that Kareem wants to get into the coaching scene. If this is the case, his style & teachings could influence Yao much more effectively than anything Ewing can teach him. Plus, if he's serious about coaching you have to start somewhere.

7. The Ming Dynasty

Yeah, even Roger Murdoch (Airplane) has got to be an improvement over Patrick "We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money" Ewing.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Based upon what knowledge do you know this to be true?

And Kobe disagrees with you about Patrick not helping Yao. But what does Kobe know, right... he just plays in the league.

9. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong didnt Sabonis retire because he wanted to go back home.

Why would he turn down an NBA player salary than return to coach Yao for like a .10th of what he could have made as a player?

10. Win

Win Contributing Member

Ewing is an ass. For all I know he has done at least a half decent job with Yao (though it certainly would not seem so). It just looks like mixing oil and water. Did I mention Ewing is an ass?

11. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I've read in the Chronicle a while back that Moses was drooling at the oppertunity to coach Yao. He said that he would do it in a heart beat if asked by the Rockets. Honestly, Moses can definately get Yao to the next level. He sounds sincere and truely wants to help out Yao. You can only imagine all the lessobns learned by Hakeem playing one on one against Moses at Fondey.

12. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

I always thought that Kareem would be the best coach for Yao. Kareem wasn't a stocky player. He was a finesse center with a great hook shot who coud also hit outside. And he was a great passer. Yao's game actually reminds me of Kareem's. And if Yao could learn a hook, he would be unstoppable.

13. Valio!

Valio! Member

Dr of Dunk: you're correct. I have no inside knowledge that Ewing is having no real impact. Just basing it on how I see Yao perform. And trotting out Kobe? Boy ... wouldnt want to question his judgement and analysis - especially about big men.

But in a sense you're right - Kobe is right there and has access to a better take on it than I have. That is certainly without dispute. Still, I doubt that the absence of Ewing's brilliant guidance would lead Yao to rack up even more fouls, get fewer rebounds, and get fewer assists. So I will edit my "certainly would have more of an impact than ewing" line to "it really wouldnt be any worse than with Ewing"

rocketfan83: Yes. I believe you are correct to a certain extent. He wanted to go back to Lithuania. Though I understand that he is looking now to move to Spain. It might be difficult to pry him away from there since I think he likes spain a great deal and it's only a short jaunt from Lithuania. So perhaps I am overly optimistic about how successful the rockets could be to lure him here. Still, I'd like to see them try.

Also, I like the M Malone idea as well.

;) ;)

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't think it's likely we could get Sabonis to come here, however, that's probably the best suggestion I've seen for someone to coach Yao.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thank God, it was almost March 2 and somebody had yet to unleash a Ewing bashing thread premised on something they have no information about.

16. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Ewings not going anywhere. He's a Knick.

17. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

It would be very difficult to get Sabonis here, the main reason he left the NBA was to be closer to his family in Lithuania. Though, having Sabas here would certainly improve Yao, if not for the sole reason that Yao would pay more attention since Yao idolized Sabonis.

Stuart

18. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

stop stalling and get your ass to Houston

19. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

What part of "good father" didn't you understand? I ain't Shawn Kemp, people.

Stuart