1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Driving to Los Angeles. Tips?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scarface281, Mar 22, 2015.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I-40 is excellent. Taken it many times- but it's easy for me b/c being in Lubbock, it's only about 100 minutes north. Much more scenic, too- plus, you can get to Los Angeles quickly- only major city you pass through is ABQ, and there's hardly any traffic compared to I-10.

Plus, on the way back, you can go up 2 hours to the Four Corners, drive 45 minutes east into Mancos, CO and buy weed legally, and there you go. This is what my friend did, anyway.

http://www.cortezjournal.com/article/20141225/News05/141229874&source=RSS

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd just fly. Why would you waste 2 days going there and another 2 days driving back when you can get an extra 4 days on your trip if you just flew?

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Definitely fly. If you're still really in the mood to drive 1,500 miles, rent a car from LA and drive up the coastal highway to Vancouver. Much more scenic than Houston to LA.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yes.

I40 instead of I10 if you are looking to burn. There is a west bound checkpoint in NM on I10. There is a another westbound checkpoint on the 8 near San diego but you likely would take 10 all the way to LA anyway. So still at least one checkpoint on I10 west bound.

You can get to I40 going through dallas and amarillo as mentioned, or can take a right at ft stockton off of I10 up through roswell to I40 at ABQ.

Both those routes on I40 avoid checkpoints. besides the I40 route is prettier but there are speed traps all along I40 too so keep cruise control.

but yeah flying

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Frosty tips.

You'll fit well in LA or Dallas for that matter.

6. YourSecretLover

dont listen to these guys. Ride the magic carpet to LA. takes 4 hours tops

7. dandorotik

Sometimes it's good to fly. Sometimes, it's good to drive. You can't really get a true appreciation of the beautiful landscape of the western U.S. by flying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yeah appreciate those pictures. Seeing the landscape and it change as I moved west sounded appealing. Feel like I would be okay through Kerrville, but being alone on that long of a drive could be a negative. I would get bored faster, so I would light one up after Kerrville. Then I might creep up to 83MPH in an 80 and get pulled over. Then I would get searched and taken to boondock jail. I'll just fly. Maybe I'll do the Pacific Coast thing in California if I have time. Using the money I would have used on gas for the trip for gambling, so there is that.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

tip from my 1972 drive

Don't drop the acid until you know Carlsbad Caverns is actually open. Don't just drive all night after with headphones and Rio Grande Mud on a loop, you'll get permanent ear damage.

Carlsbad Caverns, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Vegas

1 person likes this.
  10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If you do fly, consider flying into Burbank. Much less hassle than LAX

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

^^^ nevada looks beautiful.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's odd that you are basing some of your decisions on the possibility you may be stopped and searched for drugs. Simply leave the drugs at home.

13. Scarface281

It's what I do. Any road trip, I preroll a few joints for the ride. A 21 hour road trip (time spent on the freeway) would warrant more than a few imo, especially if I were alone. Don't worry though, I will be flying and acquiring the herb once I land and get my rental.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Take the free flight.

Spend the $$ you'd spend on gas and vehicle wear and tear on some fine LA hoes. Profit.

15. Scarface281

Lol yeah this is the plan. If the Rockets play the Clips that weekend, them LA bars don't wanna see us...

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i've driven back and fourth from Tucson many times..not from houston but close enough.

Why stop in Lordburg? I'd either cut your trip shorter and stay in las cruces or power through to Tucson.

I didn't have satellite radio at the time or a smart phone so having those will probably help a ton. The drive to El Paso isn't great but I did enjoy the scenery in southern NM and AZ.

Not much secret advice...it's a long haul.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've done the drive a few times and it's definitely doable. Just don't be afraid to stop and rest when you need it.

Download some audio books as well as plenty of music both old and new. Podcasts can also help. It's actually kind of fun one way. Doing it again to get back is where the tedium will set in.

Best of luck.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

is there any place along the interstate where you can't stream music?

19. dandorotik

You know, life's not all about sex.

Would you rather experience this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

OK. Fly.

#39 dandorotik, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  20. dandorotik