1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drinking Alcohol on Lunch Break

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sadat X, Oct 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Nice try boss... One of the managers found a beer in the office kitchen fridge and it started an investigation. They don't mess around about alcohol here. Drinking on lunch, at work or even bringing it into the office (as a gift) is grounds for termination. I completely understand the policies though. We have some pretty sensitive systems here and are regulated in both security and company policy by the government.

2. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Well, I am one of the managers, so I would only hear from the owner if it got to him. I am not worried about getting into trouble at all, I was just shocked at how some of the employees at our table looked at me.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Do it all the time where I work... Los Cucos, here we come!

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't really understand these "automatically fired/zero tolerance" companies where it's just plain old office work.

If you're allowed to operate a car after 1-3 drinks, which is what it works out for for most people, shouldn't you be allowed to operate a spreadsheet?

Seems like a southern-type teetotaling thing. On the east coast it seems it's pretty much encouraged, from Mad-Men style old schoolers who poured a dram in the office to drinks at lunch etc.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I remember when I was working as a Tech going school to school
    Me and some of the other techs met up for lunch and one ordered a beer
    I felt it was MAJORLY strange considering we were driving all day
    And just drinking on the job in general

My company now. . .sometimes has alcohol at events

I think like everyone says . .. you have to read the situation and the company

Rocket River

6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I think they are shocked that as a manager, you didn't buy a round for everyone :p

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Funny . . . .. The tolerance for Tobacco in the office is higher
    I've been in offices where some people were on smoke break seems like 20 minutes out of every hour

Rocket River

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not saying it is right or wrong, but it is easy to implement and document.

Companies that have a zero tolerance for office workers also typically have a zero tolerance for driving company vehicles.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Never been big on it. It just makes me sleepy. Completely pointless. If something major happened at work, something positive, shieettt, I'd drink something at my desk and leave for the day to celebrate.

When I was at an IT consulting company we'd drink on Friday afternoons at work, openly, then leave early or go hit balls (somewhat common). To me that's different than lunch. You put even a little alcohol in me at noon on a workday and I'm ready for a nap. I'm trying to get stuff done and go to the gym and live life, not turn into a zombie off wasted calories.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

There are some oil companies where drinking is mandatory, like Arbusto, Spectrum-7, and Harkken. You know, all the successful companies.

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Pretty much this at my job.

There is Beer in fridge

If you don't get alcohol or a margarita at lunch with the rest of management you should probably find another job.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Had a job right out of college that a couple of us would have a couple of beers at lunch on Fridays. In a later job, my department would split a 12 pack late Friday afternoons after the owner had left.

If I'm in a group, I definitely defer to the higher ups. If I'm the higher up, I don't do it. With customers, I'll let them do what they want but I'll likely still have a tea.

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Sounds like an abuse of power.

15. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

This. I'm used to drinking *a* beer or *a* glass of wine with lunch, and even though it *is* permitted to drink where I work, no one does this and I find I have to eat lunch alone if I want a beer to avoid dirty looks.

16. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

I'm a little buzzed right now.

but i work at a start up (although we just got purchased by big Pharma) and it's not frowned upon. However, we are super productive and get **** done.

We love the freedom, as long as we are productive.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think part of the rationale for our company's behavior is the safety culture. We're just office drones here, and a little alcohol won't impact our performance. But, we also have workers out in the field who face real occupational hazards that would obviously obviate any opportunity to drink at lunch. In order to reinforce the culture of safety for the guys in the field, they put a blanket policy on everyone. Otherwise, the laxness among office workers might bleed over to the technicians.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nah. Strictly CYA

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Same here. Except when s*** does go down in the field (or especially on deepwater rigs) all the 8 million HSE people in our offices and anyone in any way related to that are required to be available until further notice. So I understand and think our policy is reasonable.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So does ordering Chicken Fried Steak and a pile of mashed potatoes.