1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drexler chimes in

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Apr 30, 2019.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's not the only example we have of Harden taking a jump shot, I'm sure there is plenty of footage out there without having to find it for you.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Seems like you need help defending Harden to others who use videos like that? Did you see that on Reddit, I suppose?

Let's start with this shot --- let me know how many other types of looks by Harden you want me to show you.

That is like Perfect Sweep and Sway mechanics....on a wide-open step-back.

The Van Pelt video shows that when Harden doesn't need to jump high, he doesn't jump much ... more like a FTA -- (although there are plenty of times he still does jump forward a foot or so, even on those, but less so for open Corner 3s, that are shorter and he's in danger of step backwards OOB.) The Van Pelt video also shows when shooters need to really avoid blocks, they maximize their jump and (because of that) many, many of them employ Sweep and Sway mechanics to relax the shoulders while getting that necessary power.
    • Sweep and Sway is used for shooting mechanics
    • Step-backs and jumping higher are used to avoid blocks.
    • James Harden and many others get extra open, with balance, by using both.
    You seem to be reading intent, which I've always heard you say you don't like ppl to do. Your theory about shooting mechanics seems to be that if a motion achieves something, then that's the reason for it. Well, an elite step-back and full jump/extension achieves the necessary unblockability. And it's best for FG% if you can do that in your normal jumping motion ... which a slow, FT-esque, short jump isn't going to achieve.

Again, let me know how many other types of looks by Harden you want me to share. I'm comfident Van Pelt is providing poor research vs my years of watching Harden, and larger collection of video.

#22 heypartner, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So you are saying that it's Harden's natural "sweep and sway" plus trying to jump higher on the shot to avoid it being blocked that leads to him tending to leap forward on his three pointers? That sounds reasonable to me. But I don't think Harden is oblivious to the fact that his shooting motion has the added benefit of making it difficult for the defense to defend him without fouling. I believe he is consciously using this to his advantage (how could he not be?). Maybe you think this is an admission that he is cheating the game somehow, or an admission that he is only trying to draw fouls and not actually hit the shot. I don't see it that way.

4. TheresTheDagger

In the pecking order of NBA superstars, Kenny knows he isn't close to the iconic players sitting on both sides of him. I think he's always had an inferiority complex because of that and he desperately wants to "fit in". Nothing discussed on the show is important enough for him to jeopardize that.

5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I have no idea of what you are talking about. We have more of Harden kicking his legs out?