1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dream's tutoring feels like a Dwightmare

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Apr 22, 2014.

1. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

you bring up a good point, but i actually think he's done well in the first game ( i was at the game). He had couple of spin moves in the first half that didn't go in, but he actually destroyed whoever guarded him in the second. I actually see improvement in his moves and it's only his first year here. Not to mention we have McHale as a head coach. :(

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Hakeem was graceful and agile. Those two attributes are almost the opposite of what Dwight is. Dwight needs to stop trying to copy the biggest man with elite guard skills ever to play the game. He has always been a power guy. Maybe he needs a power mentor. Shaq won't teach jack to Dwight though. He hates the man.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Omer does that move better than Dwight. Omer. Asik. That big clumsy guy who looks like a ballerina on wide open layups. If he can understand and execute the most important concepts of that move (spin to get behind/ahead of defender and the shortest distance between two points is a straight line), why can't Dwight? Asik isn't more skilled or athletic than Howard.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/BvwKp-RhHKo?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/BvwKp-RhHKo?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't think he's a power guy. A power guy can back his man down and maintain position. Dwight has trouble with that. He just dunks hard.

5. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This is exactly how I feel. Jones and Dmo would benefit more for Dream's tutoring than Dwight. I feel Dmo and Jones have more natural offensive skill to work with than Dwight.

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Dwight needs to play like Omer. Set picks. Roll. Profit.

His post ups need to be limited unless he's really working over some guys.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Let's not get started on the pick 'n' roll either. :)

Feels like Dwight's last season in LA around here, with fans lately talking about Dwight and the pick and roll (or lack thereof).

WHY DOESN'T DWIGHT RUN/WANT TO RUN THE PICK 'N' ROLL!?

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-...-howard-to-run-more-pick-and-roll/2013/02/13/

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=233624 (funny thread)

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...dwight-howard-never-wanted-los-angeles-lakers

8. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Also I recall when Dwight initially left the Lakers, Kareem Abdul Jabbar expressed that Dwight had low bball IQ and pretty much implied in basketball terms that Dwight was "dumb" and still had a lot to learn. I initially felt it was a bunch of sour grapes by Jabbar but there might be some truth to it.

9. Remlap

Remlap Member

I would like to see Dwight do more pump fakes to get his man into foul trouble.
    His moves are very predictable. Just move with him, let him make his spin, and he'll throw it at the basket. Even if is he IS smothered.
    But, if he would spin, FAKE a jump, get his defender off his feet, and then draw the foul, he would be much more effective. Sure, his FT's are iffy. But at least to get your man in foul trouble will make him back off and be unsure. Too predictable IMO.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think you're underestimating what it takes to apply even the mechanics behind the skills in NBA competition. It's no coincidence that the only guy who has had any success (and I'm reaching) applying Hakeem's lessons in actual games is one Kobe Bean Bryant, a 6'6" guard with an amazing feel for the game.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Kareem is an a-hole of epic proportions and was suffering from the same rejected feeling as the rest of jerks in Lakerland.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

More like the sooner Dwight realizes it.

He would score 20ppg easy in his Orlando role of being a really good garbage man...nut he's so focused on being some offensive option that it hinders his game and the teams.

My hope is that the Rockets get a strong coach that will stop this and drill into his head that posting up just isn't his game and THAT IS ALRIGHT. Mutumbo wasn't a great post player but he was still a great player.

Even though Yao was the better Post player Dwight in his prime was seen as the much better player because he could give you 20 and 15 easily and barely off post touches. Just dominate around the him.

13. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Guy puts up 27/15/4/1/1 30 PER...................Gets trashed.......

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That's the problem that arises when he steps too far out. Dream could do the spin move or move into a hook from the same spot. Dwight is so far out, the defender knows he's going to spin, if his back is to him. If he's facing him, he's either going to take a wide step to the baseline, which again is inefficient, or he's going to drive left and throw up an off balance drive-by shot.

He needs to get closer and use his verticality, not waste time going east and west.

See my post above (#23). Omer Asik, man.

I'm not just trashing Dwight. Everyone involved needs to be held accountable. Dwight, McHale, Dream, the training staff, etc. There's wayyy too much experience, skill, and talent for Dwight to only improve a little. I don't expect a total transformation, but it should be more than what we've seen. It almost feels like he regressed from what he was showing at mid season. Too many lobs, maybe.

#34 RV6, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think we see a guy who can jump high we automatically think "amazing athlete, can do it all" but I don't think that's right. How do you quantify things like great hands, nimble feet, superb balance? Can't a guy be a great leaper and suck at everything else? Can't a who can't leap have great footwork?

I agree that Dwight should be able to properly execute a spin move that seals his man but the reality is he works hard with the best coaches and it has not happened so all that's left is to admit he doesn't have the physical gifts required. At least, that's my final answer.

1 person likes this.
  16. bmd

bmd Member

I agree with everything except the last sentence.

And it's hard to tell exactly how he's moving just from screenshots.

But from the screenshots it looks like he's dribbling too early and not pivoting enough. He should be thinking about getting behind the defender... moving past him, not moving around him.

In my opinion, he should focus on one move at a time and master it. Down to every last detail. Once he's proven he can do it, he can add another move.

It's mind-blowing how bad his post game is when he's such an athletic freak.

17. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Asik MIGHT have better and quicker footwork than Dwight. And he is a bit bigger. Dwight has the hops, the hands (by a longshot), and the reach, but Asik is literally almost as good a defender as Dwight while having almost no vertical (ala a defensive Sabonis). Asik is amazing for his size defending on the perimeter (significantly better than Dwight). Let's not sell Asik short. Assuming the Rockets keep Dwight and dump Asik, whichever team ends up with Asik the next few years will be very lucky and happy.

1 person likes this.
  18. bmd

bmd Member

Asik did it perfectly. He waited for the defender to reach in and he spun off of him.

Dwight could dominate with that move considering how often defenders reach in to knock the ball away from him.

It could also kill two birds with one stone... he starts abusing him with that move and they will stop reaching in. If they stop reaching, he commits less turnovers.

19. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Dream didn't come into the league Dream shaking, with all those post moves. He worked on them, improving every year. Howard has not done that kind of work to improve.

20. HPD

HPD Member

This^^^^^^^^^