1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draymond Green wants the supermax

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by malakas, Jun 12, 2018.

1. noppeper

noppeper Member

Spot on.

I think most people underrate Draymond because his lack of flash, and because, as you said, he is annoying as hell. But as I mentioned, take him out of the GSW and put him on the Rockets, and it's Houston the one who is probably easily marching towards a championship.

2. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

Capela has shown this last season that he can stay on the floor for many of the small possessions, and still has a ton of room for growth. Draymond is a good defensive player, probably on the level of Rodman (even with Draymond’s annoying big mouth), but I would not want to lose Capela for a stretch 4 like Draymond. If LeBron falls through and there was a way to get Draymond and keep Capela, sure although I would feel annoyed about it, but not losing Capela entirely. Capela is showing he can be a future star.

3. noppeper

noppeper Member

The hypothetical is being mentioned to prove a point; which is that Draymond could be extremely impact-full to other teams, just as he is with the GSW. JayZ's post very eloquently elaborates on this point, if you want further details and don't get too caught up on the possible lineups of this hypothetical scenario.

:rolleyes:

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

i was fully aware of jayz's post. that's not who i was responding to :rolleyes:

his impact is based a ton on the what other actual impact players are around him

5. noppeper

noppeper Member

I agree with your assessment of Capela and would be happy to keep him on the team long term. He could potentially get better and be even for of an impact player...but he could also plateau or regress. You don't really know what will happen when he gets paid. However, we know at this point how Draymond operates.

With that said, if I had to choose one max player to pair with Harden and CP3's maxes, it would be Draymond, easily, over Capela.

6. noppeper

noppeper Member

If you think his impact defensively is based a ton on what other actual impact players are around him, then ok, I disagree with you.

Moving on...

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

i guess i missed that part where that was said. but if you're going to talk about that specifically then lets say you put DG on another team that doesn't have a legit star or two to play with and he's the actual franchise player.

No, he's not going to be dpoy and hes not leading that team to winning more than not. his overall game doesn't translate to that. would he fit on the rockets? of course he would bc they have harden and cp3. his impact would translate over similar to his GS role. would he fit on the knicks? yeah he could be there stretch 4 next to kanter or even KP but his impact isn't translating to the same degree it would compared to what his role would be on GS or Hou. Are they all of a sudden going to become the top defensive team in the league bc of DG. I'd easily say no

if you think DG's impact to the degree of what it is now on GS is going to just translate to every other team the exact same, then that's where I would 100% disagree. he's a GREAT compliment to franchise players, not a franchise player you super max and then surround him with role players. and that's assuming a team's goal is to actually win

#67 YOLO, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  8. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Dude I would love to trade for him. He’s the ultimate team player and in my view the best modern defensive player in the league. The dude does everything, and even even with his antics, refs are often scared of giving him second technicals. He would fit so perectly too. Too bad we past up on him not once but twice for players who aren’t even in the league anymore...

noppeper likes this.
  9. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

I would respectfully disagree on your thoughts that Capela could regress or plateau. Of course those things could happen, but at the same time from various reports we have heard that Capela is a gym rat similar to Harden. A lot of the times those who do plateau or regress are players who do not improve their craft year to year, and Capela does not appear to be like that so far.

We also need to consider team fit/chemistry as well. Just as Draymond is a great fit for GS, Capela has been an outstanding pick and roll compliment to Harden on the offensive end, and he has been one of the better and upcoming defensive players in the league.

So I would say keeping Capela would be just as valuable then trying to go after Draymond. I don’t think the chemistry would be there with Draymond and Harden and/or CP3.

10. noppeper

noppeper Member

Do I expect Capela to regress? No. But even if he is a gym rat, this could be the best he will ever be, just based on his potential physical limitations (for example, he could work on his FT shooting non stop, and still not be a >70% FT shooter). You never know until it happens. So given the unknowns, and what we know of Draymond, I would choose the latter if given the choice.

In regards to chemistry, that is something I can't really comment on, outside from what I see on the court. And based on that, I would think DG would be a better complementary piece to our current team, that could easily make us the best defensive team in the association. We will be losing the vertical game, but I think that is easier to replace than what Draymond brings to the table.

Now, the ideal scenario would be to have both, so if that is a possibility, then yeah go for it. The same applies to getting Lebron and keeping Capela...if it can be done, and the owner is willing to pay for it, then hell yes, do it.

11. noppeper

noppeper Member

I thought you were fully aware of Jayz's post? At this point, I could copy and paste it here, but I will just repeat, once again, to please read that, as it very eloquently explains the same way I feel about Draymond.

And to your last point, no, I don't think it would translate the same to every other team. But the same can be said about pretty much every player in the association.

Also, I would not super max Draymond; that would be reserved to transcendental players such as Lebron, Harden, Curry, Durant, AD, etc, basically guys that can carry a team offensively, and at least do other stuff to help the team win. So yes, I agree Draymond is not that. But I would not hesitate to give him the max, say, alongside Harden, and then build a team around them, because I do find him to be THAT much of an impact player.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The black Bogut. California the only place where they let you do something illegal to enhance your play. They will put a stop to his diagonal jumping fingernails to the eyeballs bullcrap. Also, pushing 7 footers out the paint with 2 hands