1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draymond green, system player

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by digitallinh, May 1, 2016.

1. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Not upset, really just wanted to start another warriors thread noting how awesome they are even without curry.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Some people said Steve Nash was a system player under D'Antoni. Turned out that D'Antoni was a system coach under Nash.

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Green is way better than cousins or whitside and im starting to like whiteside.

Towns is the truth Gonna be the best big in the league in 2 years. Prob already top 5.

But for a team that already has a superstar guard/wing.

Green all day.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

if you had to pick one "system" player on the Warriors team there's no way you go with Green before Thompson.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

different teams can go with either or but its not unanimous that people would pick klay over green.

6. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Reporter: Drayond, Flood you win, No Flood you win, no no You No win
    Draymond: You asked me that in practice already. I want you FIRED!

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is a good player for sure, a star player.

DD

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

i'm willing to bet Green's numbers and recognition around the league drastically decreases if he was on say, The Rockets or The Kings.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Same with Curry or Klay, the point is they make each other better and Kerry makes them all better with his system, that's how you get to 73 wins.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Why would their numbers drastically decrease? A fair amount of their production relies on receiving timely, accurate passing. On the Warriors, Draymond Green provides this. However, this is not a unique skill. In fact, it's fairly common among point guard, shooting guards, and small forwards.

12. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Those guys have great chemistry, that's one of the most important facts in winning at this level. That being said, it doesn't mean they are system players.

Yes, they make each others better, the system makes them look good, but they also make the system look better.

Klay is like Ray Allen, who can create his own shots occasionally, but is a deadly shooter when open. Every team/system would try to create open for him, it's not just Kerr's system makes him better.

As for Curry, he will be the 1st open in almost every team, regardless which system he will be under. He makes the system.

Green is the biggest beneficial from Kerr's system, most on the offensive side. He will still be a good offensive player, but probably won't be able to collect that many assists.

But defensively, he is who he is, a top defender in the league, regardless what system he is under.

13. RyanB

RyanB Member

Couldn't agree more
    Great Teams like the 1996 NBA team were freaking SCARY even their bench would look like a great team, but it's the effect of playing great basketball with great Players and within a great system

Take this bench alone and they would be smacked in the first games

14. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I bet the rockets would be a top 3 seed in the west if we had Green on our team.

He would be the best player (even over Dwight), due to his IQ to roll over and help against any penetrators.

Can you imagine us being last in defensive rebounding with Dwight + Green?

We'd probably be top 10 overall on defense by adding him alone. He does so many little defensive things that never show up on the stat sheet.

Can you imagine a death lineup Rockets version with Green at the 5 (while not losing any rim protection.)?

Rockets need a leader? How about the best leader in the NBA?

I do agree that Green needs to be paired with another superstar since he can't be your primary scoring option.

15. Mr Chuck Norris

All This digital guy post about is the Warriors smh

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I've been having this debate in sports groups on Fb. I think he's a star player while others call him a role player.

They say that's he's worthy of the max (on Warriors at least), worthy of being an all star player but isn't a lead aka star player bc he can't create his own shot.

17. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Yeah sorry, I watched all our preseason, saw how bad this team was. Started betting against them for the first ten games or so then jumped on the Warriors bandwagon full time.

I've been a fan of the Rockets for 20 years and I was rooting against them in the first round. If they don't care, why should I care.

When we have a team that plays with half the heart draymond green plays with I'll be back.

18. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

It just come down to how you define star player. Some people say it's creating your shot, others think it's by wins and losses.

The analytics revolution has definitely expanded what we think is a star player but let's be serious here. No team wins 73 games without multiple elite players, just doesn't happen. Bulls had mj, lippen, Rodman and kukoc who could have started for many teams that year.

He isn't a lead player for sure, but he's definitely a second best player on a championship team, there's no doubt about that. You can replace klay but there's no replacing what green brings to them, at least with one person.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Steve Kerr thinks there is a much more fitting label than &quot;superstar&quot; for Draymond Green. <a href="https://t.co/5aEK9CCQF4">pic.twitter.com/5aEK9CCQF4</a></p>&mdash; NBA on ESPN (@ESPNNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/727234985279762434">May 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. choujie

choujie Member

Somehow Morey passed Green and draft another tweener White in 2012. Not to mention Rockets had 3 1st round picks that year.