1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draymond Green calls Hardens flails "unnatural basketball plays"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Dec 3, 2016.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The point Green is trying to make isn't about whether Harden actually intends to shoot or not. He said that the motion isn't natural. This is clearly an incorrect statement because the motion is used all the time in basketball.

2. valorita

valorita Member

When your "natural" motions have a history and consistent pattern of causing harm to other players, then punishment is necessary to discourage further action.

Hey donkey face, you can high kick all you want when u are practicing by yourself.
    If someone pulled that crap in any rec league or pickup ball, i guarantee that they would get layed out.

if i was stu jackson or any other nba official, i would investigate if green does the same thing in gsw practices.

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. joomba

joomba Member

Read basketball rules on fouls, especially how it applies to around the rim situation. It's clearly designed to favor the offensive player, not the defender. For instance, in NBA there is this thing called "No Charge Zone" where you don't get called on a charge even if the offensive player initiates the contact.

===============================================
    NBA "No Charge Zone"

http://www.livestrong.com/article/142966-rules-offensive-foul-basketball/

The NBA has an additional rule regarding offensive fouls that the high school and college level do not have. The "No Charge Zone" is a half-circle underneath the hoop where defensive players are not allowed to draw offensive fouls. If the defensive player is inside the half-circle, or has a foot on the line when the offensive player runs into him, the defensive player is called for a blocking foul, even if he establishes a position under the hoop.
    =====================================================

The purpose of this rule is simple : get out of the attackers way. Either block his shot, steal his ball, or GTFO. If you don't like this rule, that's your problem, but what Harden does most of the time is completely legal and within the bounds of rules. You're not supposed to reach in or even get too handsy when guarding your opponent. That's just the way it is, because otherwise basketball can become too defense-oriented and boring.

Also, if you don't like Harden's foul-drawing moves, you should also have problem with using pump fakes and then jumping into your airborne defender purposefully while in 'act' of shooting to get a foul call. This tactic is universally used and players like Paul Pierce and Dwayne Wade have averaged 10+ FTA in the past thanks to this kind of move. Not to mention DeRozan has completely copied Harden's moves and uses it even more frequently than Harden does.

As I've mentioned before, basketball is not just competition of making hoops. A lot of shady elements exist below the surface, and you have no idea what actual basketball coaches teach and encourage their players to do these days. You think 'flopping' is just what players have come up with by themselves? Think again.

#83 joomba, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    DonKnock likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Green is taking a page out of presidential politics and instead of directly addressing accusations, he is deflecting attention onto something else.

Even casual fans know this guys a clown nowadays. And I'm glad, a couple of years ago people would wonder why fans of rival teams hated Draymond Green.

Patience likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't enjoy the shady elements. Intentionally throwing yourself into someone to draw a foul isn't the part of the game I respect, and neither is flopping.

7. joomba

joomba Member

I get it, I don't necessarily like it either, but every sport has that element, and as long as it's legal, I have no problem exploiting them to our full advantage. Think about it, GSW basically won a championship ring off of a moving screens, Bulls had Rodman, Lakers had Shaq's elbow, Spurs had Bruce Bowen's dirty plays and master flopper in Ginobili, etc. I don't think what Harden does is any more problematic than those kinds of things.

DonKnock likes this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm beginning to hate BJ Armstrong