1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dragic - Lowry, who should be starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1510 Polk St, Mar 22, 2012.

?

Dragic - Lowry, who should be starter?

1. Kyle

221 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Goran

118 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. clos4life

clos4life Member

Kyle's minutes have to drop. Goran deserves more minutes.

That being said, Kyle needs to remain a starter. (at least until he nets us a superstar we can pair with Dragic after we sign him in the offseason) :grin:

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

How much is it going to take to sign Dragic? You can't tie up NBA Superstar money in one position without superstar production. Lowry has one of the best salaries in the game.

3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Fair point. But, do you think the Rockets have been better off with Dragic running the show? I think we're okay, but I notice Dragic over-dribbling, driving the lane with 6 seconds left on the shot clock and either turning the ball over with a bad pass, or lately, traveling.

I agree that Goran is great, but if he and Lowry are healthy, I'm taking Lowry's athleticism, passing, defense, aggressiveness, shooting and more importantly, his ability to completely take over a game.

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Dragic has been terrific so far as a starter, but he also had the benefit of playing with Courtney Lee, who has outshined Martin. Martin has become a blackhole on offense, and a 0 on defense. He takes shots away from players and contributes nothing on defense. Courtney Lee is the complete opposite. He also had the benefit of playing with Parsons who has surged recently. I think we can all agree Dragic is not the reason Parsons is all of a sudden splitting defense, making free throws, making three point shots and dropping 21 points on Durant.

I wish we could keep them both, but that's unlikely. So if I had to take one at this stage, I would take Lowry. His contract being a huge factor for this. If Dragic has the same contract as Lowry however, I would probably lean towards Dragic because he has a higher ceiling. But I really would love to see how Lowry plays with this current lineup before deciding.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we let Dragic walk for nothing and he turns into Steve Nash with defense, I will be very angry. Much, much more angry than about the Jeremy Lin thing, because there was no way you could see that coming.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Lowry still is the starter but he was playing far to many minutes before he probably could place his minutes around 30-35 a game and keeping him fresh throughout the game and into the stretch run.

Dragic has shown that he can be more than a capable PG for 2 quarters plus...a luxury that the Rockets really haven't had since Kenny and Sam.

Depending on the other teams lineup they could even throw both Lowry and Dragic out there.

But right now my fear is that Dragic may start getting worn out by logging all these minutes without no real backup. I hope Lowry can return to the floor soon so there isnt any drop in the tempo between the two guards.

7. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

i said Dragic, but we have to give Lowry a chance. for the rest of this year, we should be comparing the two players and who is the better fit for this Rockets team. Lowry deserves a chance at the starting role before we write him off and give the start to Dragic.

8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I realize it's been a while since we have seen Lowry, but have we really already forgotten how good he has been this year??

I'll still take Lowry as a top 6 or 7 PG in the NBA! Dragic is awesome and I REALLY hope we can keep him as a long-term backup for Lowry.

But seriously, Dragic has been playing CRAZY minutes with numbers close to Lowry's, who gets those numbers in less minutes than Dragic has been playing. Does anybody here really think Dragic can play as hard as he does in long-term starter minutes and keep these numbers up? Dragic is the perfect packup PG and I fear that once he gets consistent starter minutes his game will take a major drop.

9. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

LOwry is more popular around the league, meaning we could generate a nice trade. we have two first round pics. if we packaged lowry and scola and a draft pick we could get something very nice in return. i'd rather do that and keep dragic starting.

10. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

you would be a horrible GM DD

1 person likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with how Dragic makes the game easier for his teamates better than Kyle.

I did like Brooks better than Kyle and when healthy I still do, but I like Dragon better than both.

I do think all 3 are really good though, i just happen to believe Dragic is the best of them and he is right sized.

DD

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mind you.... Dragon isn't Nash.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You shoot yourself in the foot everytime you tell us you still like Brooks better than Lowry. Even if it that is the way you feel, you should stop saying it. It's way in the past.

The issue at hand now is Lowry and Dragic.

14. JCole

JCole Member

Dragic > LoWry

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think it's a good idea to have Dragic start when Lowry comes back this season. That's a chemistry-killer going into the playoffs. Need everyone to be on the same page. In the offseason make every effort to get something good for Lowry & re-sign Dragic as the starter.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

With Martin basically dead weight, there's no reason Dragic can't see 25-30 minutes a game with him subbing in for both Lowry and Lee.

17. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I really like Goran's midrange fadeaways and his passing in traffic. His ceiling is higher than Kyle's.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He's the best right now this second, but when Lowry comes back dont you think he has the right to fight for his minutes back which Im under the assumption that he will just like AB had a chance to regain his role?

All I know is that when Lowry and Dragic were sharing minutes, Lowry was clearly the better PG. Dragic however, is one of those guards that the more he plays in that particular game, the better he gets as the game goes on. I think that there are alot of qualities that Goran has that Lowry doesn't but that doesnt change the fact that Lowry was the beating heart of this team when he went down with injury, and should be able to regain his minutes as starter unless Goran continues to outplay him.

Lowry was better than Goran then, and you would have to assume he would probably be able to beat out Goran for minutes when he comes back fully healthy. I see no reason why Morey wouldnt want to bring Dragic back in the summer if he can. Meaning, if Goran wants to be here, and doesn't want to go somewhere where they are offering him a team built around him as the franchise PG.

I dont think it has anything to do with "pay the man Le$." Thats ridiculous. Its about having to compete for the starting job in Houston, or going to a team that says we are going to make you our franchise PG and pay you. If no team can offer him that, then I wouldn't be shocked if Goran and the Rockets work out a way to keep him and possibly Lee.

Like I said before, alot of these decisions are going to happen on Draft day when the team makes a deal or two. I would assume that the front office is dueing their due dilligence to ensure they hold on to whoever they can, or move either Martin or Lowry if the deal makes sense for the team.

I dont think its fair, in this case, to just assume that Les is a cheap A$# and for that reason he's already as good as gone because they want to take a discount and stay with Lowry. Thats ludacris.

19. DaDakota

I understand that, but I am not shying away from what I believe, this has nothing to do with Brooks, but folks keep saying that is why I like Dragic, and honestly they are 100% wrong, it has everything to do with Goran and how he is playing - I love the way he plays the game, love his athleticism, love his energy, love his size, love his passing, love his defense.

I just think the guy is good, and is going to be REALLY good, he has more upside IMO.

DD

20. DaDakota

One more thing, Goran is left handed, another advantage for him.

DD