1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Dragic Hopes For Return To Rockets, Wants To Be Starter"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QazQay, Jun 21, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Obviously they have the leverage in that they can offer more $$$$ and an additional year than any other team.

And as you know Bima, if they plan to draft a PG, and told his agent so, I am sure it would be fine.

You just know they are keeping Goran informed of their plans - that is just smart business strat.

DD

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The more money and additoonal year is very little leverage when it comes to non-max players.

3. AbrahamLincoln

I don't like the idea of drafting a pg. It has the potential to create the same problems with brooks/lowry and now lowry/dragic..Draft a big. Sign a pg to back up Dragic. Or maybe draft a PG in the 2nd rd...

4. gregsa

gregsa Member

He's very tall , but i don't think he's that good, but we have a 20 years old player Alen Omic who's going to be a great C with 215 cm that's about 7,0

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm not so worried about goran's backup if Lowry goes. We need to bring Llull over with D-Nuts to back up Dragic and all will be peachy. With Scola D-Nuts Dragic and Llull (and possibly even Pau?) we would overtake San Antonio for favorite team of foreigners (except Chinese fans who even when Yao was here tended to favor the Lakers).

All this to me still does not discount the value of Lowry. He's an all star in the making. It would kill me to see him on the Lakers but as such a natural fit, we had better ask the moon if we are considering sending him there.

6. jogo

jogo Member

I'm a little concerned about his stats translating to a full season (echoing Bima).

We've seen AB have a great year followed by problems the next year.

We've seen KL have a great year followed by problems the next year.

We've seen GD have a great 1/2 year followed by ?

However, it does seem like Kyle has made his bed by shooting off his mouth. I don't think I want him back if he's going to publicly b**** about the coach and throw balls at referees.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I prefer Dragic but haven't forgotten how Lowry can help a team. No he's not good enough to carry a team but neither is Dragic. Honestly neither player is that good. Luckily you don't need a superstar at PG to win titles and either play can produce at a high level.

The catch is - Lowry is cheap man. If Dragic is making 8mil and up, I don't know... I might prefer Lowry while we're playing the flexibility game. Honestly, I have no problem keeping both and waiting until the right trade came along.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well sure. And the sample size is smaller for Goran than it is for Lowry or Brooks, though none of the three were meaningfully established.

That said, in the stats I provided, the mpg were all very very similar:

Dragic: 36.5
    Lowry: 35.4
    Brooks: 35.6

I know it's not apples to apples because of the 2 guard lineups that might be eating up some of those minutes for Lowry/Brooks, and likely not for Dragic (given the lack of a solid second PG to run alongside him), but it gets into a little of the debate where I'd rather not see those 2 guard lineups anyways, and I don't particularly care who the backup is if as a starter your guy is putting up Dragic-esque stats for 37 mpg.

It will be an interesting negotiation for Morey, as I can't recall off the top of my head many of his own FA's where he was negotiating when said FA wasn't restricted, or an obvious max type guy. Carl Landry maybe?

My view is that DM needs to make a decision on Goran, on what he thinks he's worth, and offer him that. This is not nickle and dime time. If he gets outbid on this house, it's not like he can just bid on the next one. There is no next one.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Lowry + 16 = Toronto's #8? Portland's #6? Can't believe there's a real chance at top 5. Maybe Sac's #5 in a dream scenario.

10. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

Seems simple to me. If Lowry wants out and several teams are interested in him and Dragic wants to stay then you trade Lowry to the highest bidder and resign Dragic.

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I've been pro-Lowry since the day the Rockets season ended... I think he's a much better fit as the starting PG, and I think at the end of the day, he's going to have a better contract as well.

Still, if the Rockets know they will re-sign Dragic for a decent contract, and they can trade Lowry plus whatever to move up into the top 6 picks or so, then I certainly wouldn't be against it.

12. pass_to_Hakeem

maybe take out Evans and replace with Cousins... other than that, how is this team any better? 2 unproven rookies? + role players

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Dragic and Lowry played pretty even last year on a per minute basis and even played similar minutes. If it is one or the other, I trade Lowry for value and re-sign Dragic instead of keeping Lowry and getting nothing for Dragic.

I am hoping the Rockets trade up and get a center that can play some defense with Lowry. Drummond is my hope. The rockets could then use the 14th or 16th for a backup PG like Tyshawn Taylor. He's a guy I expect will be a nice backup, but leave room for Dragic and Lllull to feel safe signing with Rockets.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Simple solution, trade the 14th and Lowry for a higher pick and select any of these guys, Drummond, Meyers, Perry, or Barnes.

:)

15. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Could be backup center. Very good block shoter, very solid low post player and can run floor pretty well for 7'3".

16. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Lolz. Everyone is worried about who the backup PG could be, meanwhile.....we don't have a PF or C worth starting.

D-Mo might fill in that need, but that's not for sure.

If we drafted a PG at #6 to backup a PG we just signed to a brand new contract....whatever I'm not even going to address that because it's completely unrealistic.

17. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Fixed.

I'm still not even sure why anyone would address the idea that we would move up to 6 and not be picking a big man. That is not going to happen....unless a trade occurs that brings us a legit C that is capable of playing 35+ minutes.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

It will be interesting to see if Morey pushes to trade Lowry in the next week. I can definitely see it happening.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Perhaps the sequence of events is for Morey to (a) promise Dragic that he'd trade Lowry if Dragic re-signs, (b) sign Dragic, and then (c) trade Lowry sometime in July or August.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You get your wish and Lowry comes back torching us as one of those ex-players.