1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Dragic Hopes For Return To Rockets, Wants To Be Starter"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QazQay, Jun 21, 2012.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just trade Lowry already!!! Why does it take the Rockets so long to do anything??!!!

2. JD88

JD88 Member

Where did Evans go? And Beal is not a backup.

3. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

That team is no better than last years. We would not draft Beal....

....I highly doubt we would draft Beal.

4. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

I like Dragic as well, and he seems like a good guy, but money talks.

When we trade Lowry (thus, showing that we are committed to Dragic), what happens in our negotiations? Dragic knows at that point that we really need to sign him (unlikely to get Deron), so he suddenly wields incredible bargaining power. If we don't resign him, we are left with nothing. He knows that. He could then demand a lot of money.

What's he going to get paid? And what is the likelihood he tries for more from the Rockets, once they are in this pickle?

I'm not saying they don't do it--I think the Rockets should trade Lowry and resign Dragic. But the situation (especially if Dragic won't sign without Lowry being gone) significantly hurts the Rockets' leverage.

5. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

This is good news...sign Dragic and get as much as possible for Lowry.

6. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

I think if the front office is firmly behind McHale they need to deal Lowry but only if they keep Dragic.

Somehow I don't believe McHale and Lowry can coexist. Lowry's comments in the press makes it hard to think both can stay together.

I like Lowry but if they can trade him to move up higher in the draft or to get a legit star player then I am all for it...

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the numbers, JayZ. I will point out, however, that in your respective samples:

Aaron Brooks was being backed up by Kyle Lowry.

Kyle Lowry was being backed up by Goran Dragic.

Goran Dragic was being backed up by Courtney Fortson, Earl Boykins and a sickly Kyle Lowry.

I just want Rockets fans to be forewarned when looking at Dragic's numbers. For impressive as they are, they are (at least in some part) based on the fact that, since pretty much every single start of his NBA career has been when filling in for an injured starter as the primary backup PG, his numbers will naturally be inflated since he was essentially the ONLY "rotation-worthy" PG on the roster during those starts.

Sure, Goran is a good player who I hope is retained, but his numbers are at least a little misleading.

(And I'm pretty sure that Morey will say the same thing to Goran's agent.) ;)

8. JD88

JD88 Member

Best case scenario, back door negotiations. Ask Dragic to agree to a deal with the intentions of trading Lowry.

Its a business after all.

9. AbrahamLincoln

Lowry should be traded on draft night. Dragic gets along well with the coach and there really wont be a drop off if we hand the pg position to dragic If what Morey said on 610 is even partially true he will have to be traded on draft night in order to get a higher pick.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thats great analysis Bima. Look at Goran's minutes played when Lowry was out. Also take into affect his physical style of play which could lead to injuries in the future as well.

Dont get me wrong. Its my preference for the Rockets to get good value for Lowry in a trade this summer and resign Dragic to a reasonable deal.

However Im realistic that he's probably not going to be as productive as he was at times last year for the entire season if he is carrying the load of the minutes without a solid backup.

If they decide to let Dragic walk in free agency, they probably have good reasons for doing so.

11. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
    The Houston Rockets are shopping Samuel Dalembert, according to sources. He may be packaged with one of Houston's first-round picks.

12. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

Agreed...

13. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

I wonder if this means they plan to bring back Camby?

14. gregsa

gregsa Member

Here in Slovenia , Dragic always talk about amazing organization here in Houston, he's looking forward to be a starter for Rockets, he and coach McHALE are having a great relationship, so i definetely think Gogi will sign another contract with Rockets . He's brother Zoran is already practicing individualy in LA so he will be well prepared for Summer League ! Hope he sign for Rockets too !

Houston Rockets we love you here in Slovenia !

1 person likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Slovenian women are hot too....

DD

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Rockets need to keep this simple.

Trade Lowry on draft night to Portland (our biggest threat to signing Dragic), and use that pick on Damian Lillard to back up Dragic.

Then your in the clear to re-up Dragic and make him the full time starter, while also having a young point guard to groom.

17. gregsa

gregsa Member

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Slovenia is my new favorite European country! Come back Gogi!

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I am fine (in theory) with your proposed strategy, how does it make Dragic MORE likely to sign a long-term (possibly 5-year) deal with the Rockets when they just used a high lottery pick to select a guy who plays the same position as him?

Seems to me that this approach would make him LESS likely to re-sign, since it would be more likely that Lowry would be traded later in the summer than that the team's "stud lottery pick" gets dealt after the draft.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Speaking of Slovenian hipsters... Is Mirza Begic an NBA level player?