1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drafting a small forward would be a huge mistake...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rocket Addict, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

In the NBA, small forwards are a dime-a-dozen. It’s a position that can always be filled. But how often do you have the chance to draft a dominating 7-foot center?

That’s what is staring the Rockets in the face right now.

And after reading the analysis of Diop’s recent Atlanta workout (see tacoma park legend’s post in “Brown and Diop’s Atlanta workout”) it appears he is more NBA ready then some scouts indicated early on – easily worth trading up for with the 13th and 18th picks.

Not only would a Diop pick make the Rockets more attractive for Webber, but it would put them in a position to dominate without him.

Imagine Dream tutoring Diop as his backup, and a resigned Taylor, who could play with both big men at times. Wow! From no interior D to one of the best in the league. That’s a double-team (Diop and Dream) that Shaq would definitely not want to face.

And with someone who could force tough shots and rebound, Francis and Mobley would finally be able to run wild on the fast break.

The Rockets could still pick up a free agent small forward or draft someone like Terrence Morris at 23. I just hope the Rockets don’t blow this opportunity.

2. Abraham

Abraham Member

I agree, Diop is very appealing from what I've read, and a dominating big man would solidify the team much more than a SF. If the Rockets do trade up, I feel that the only players worth trading for would be Brown, Griffin, JJ, White, or Diop. Unfortunately Brown and Griffin will cost too much. Diop and a SF at 23 would be very nice.

------------------

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bad NBA centers are a dime a dozen.

I haven't seen Diop, but he's top 4 from what I've heard. Curry just doesn't fight for position on both sides as well as expected, but still is good there because of size, not dominating. Brown...has body and aggressiveness to be the best center/player in the game..its a question of skill and whether if he'll stay.

Its a price thing. I can't see the rockets getting a top 3 pick, without losing Mobley or Francis. At #6 in my opinion, Woods will be the best center left, but he needs to work on defending his man...if reports are correct, he has added some muscle to help him at this. Woods versus a good SF?

I like Woods, but I'd go with Bat and Richardson(with him, I would go three guard) first. White and JJ are also supposedly good SFs that many have higher than Woods. I see Woods as an improvement for the future over Cato, but even I see he has a decent chance to bust.

------------------

4. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

Joe Joe,

I agree that bad NBA centers are also a dime-a-dozen. It's just that the chance to acquire a big-time center is rare.

Most mock drafts that I have seen have Diop going around 6, and I think the Rockets can trade up to that range with the 13th and 18th picks. Diop is far from a sure thing, but I think he is worth the risk.

If Brown, Curry, or Diop are already gone when the Rockets draft, then obviously they should take the best player available - likely a small forward.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Golden State needs a PG and a center. I'd be very surprised if Diop falls past them.

------------------