1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DraftExpress.com] Q&A w/ Jonathan Givony (Lots of Rockets Questions)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Sooner423, Apr 23, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

#1 Sooner423, Apr 23, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  2. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

How old was this? The only reason I ask is because I thought Yi chose not to enter the draft this year?

3. Sooner423

It's from yesterday. The Yi issue is still up for debate. Some feel China pressured him into saying that. We really won't know for sure until the entry deadline.

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

ya thats what i heard. its still up in the air whether he'll come or not...

5. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

the guy says Carney not a JVG type of player at all. what 'd he mean?

6. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Take that Redick haters. ROY, you see that, ROY.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

I just gotta thank those Chinese people, we are lucky they are Rocket fans too. They asked the questions for us.

8. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I think this guy is crazy if he thinks Redick will win ROY with the Rockets. #1 is we won't take a slow-footed SG with the 8th pick. With Rafer, Luther and Redick as our top 3 guards there is no defensive ability at all. #2 is Redick has about as much chance at being voted ROY as there is of a snowstorm here in the summer.

I never heard of him before so I'm asking the question: Does Jonathan Givony have any credibility?

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yes he does, he knew about Daryl Morey, Luther Head, and Chuck Hayes before anybody.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

I wish I had an edit button:

Though I don't necessarily think we'll draft Redick, could be anyone else still. Way too early. I'd say we'll know a week before the draft.

11. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

even if Yi doesnt come out, can't a team draft him and have his rights if and when he does enter the nba?

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

As soon as he agreed that Yi should be a late 1st, he showed how little he knows. Even Yi doesn't think he is NBA ready and this guy would draft Redick at 8, guess he didn't see the LSU game. Every NBA game is going to be like the LSU game for Redick, he will get his shot blocked every he time dribble penetrates because he is that slow and unathletic. Guys like Ginoboli, Richardson and even Redd will take him off the dribble regularly. Only chance the guy has is if he is that good an outside shooter, he might be somebody's Fred Hoiberg.

13. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

lol we got dibs on greg oden and mj jr

14. Sooner423

With Duke Redick is the focus of the defense. There was pressure on him all of the time. With the Rockets he just has to hit open threes. He will be open because all of the focus of the defense will be on Yao and Tracy.

Of course he will be at a disadvantage on dribble penetration. That's not what he is supposed to do. Leave that to Tracy and Rafer.

And your right, he may get punked on by the Ginobilis and Richardsons of the world, but it's not like Wesley and Head didn't regularly. Even last year, I know Wesley got a lot of credit on D, but he still got beat often and we won 51 games that year. Plus T-Mac will probably cover those 2 with Redick on Bowen or whatever 3 GS throws out there. If, I'm crossing my fingers, he stays healthy. If he doesn't, we're screwed anyway.

All players have weaknesses and strong points. I can't name one prospect in this draft that is near flawless, except for maybe Roy. But he isn't really going to wow you ever. Redick can.

I don't know, maybe I'm way off base here, but I really think Redick would be a great fit.

I think some of you UT fans may be just a little bitter.......

http://media.putfile.com/Redick-41points

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sooners just can't resist the opportunity. Good thing there isn't anyone from Wisconsin Milwaukee this high up. :p

I agree that Redick would be a good fit, but he is still a risky player to take this high up. He's an unbelievable shooter, but that's it. We have other issues we need to consider at SG like athleticism, defense, dribble penetration.

If he's the bpa at #8 in the Rockets eys then I'll be okay with it. But at #8, I don't think he will be.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

it isn't necessarily easier switching from being the focus to role player. with duke jj has the luxury of playing to his own rhythm taking shots he's comrtable it won't be like that in houston.

speaking of dribble penetration, jj gets burnt on the dribble, rockets got burnt this season in their inabilty to guard against the dribble.

i wouldn't be surprised if yao gets into foul trouble with jj on the court.

17. Sooner423

Hey there's some solid prospects on that team. ;)

18. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

I think Reddick would be a great pick for us...and I don't think his defense would be such a liability...he's often tabbed as being slow-footed because he's white...but you saw in the tournament that he was able to get into the lane at times against some very tough defenses...sure, part of that was because he was being overplayed, but he does have some quickness to be able to stay in front of his man.

As for his offense, there is no question he could come in right away and make a HUGE impact. ROY is not out of the question...as I think he would average 15 a game just camping out on the outside feeding off Yao and Tracy. My strong hunch is that this is the guy the Rox draft with their top pick.

19. Sooner423

D against penetration would be an issue as it is now. Redick is far from a cure-all. We also need a defensive minded/3-point shooting backup 2 man (Rasual Butler, JR Smith), a shot blocking/rebounding/outside shooting 4 man (Lafrentz, Cook) and it would probably be good to get a perimeter shooting point (Fisher). :)

20. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

This is the same site that said Nachbar was the most ready to contribute of all the euro's.

Dude is an idiot.