1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

draft thread,

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gbritton, May 9, 2005.

Tags:
?

who could we likely draft that would help our depth and age issues

1. channing frye

11 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. sean may

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. joey graham

16 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. hakim warrick

81 vote(s)
    37.9%
  5. cj miles (high schooler from texas)

10 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. fransico garcia

16 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. ronny turiaf

23 vote(s)
    10.7%
  8. some other guy

17 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Unless you can trade for a Warrick, no way they'll draft him. If there is no upgrade or other trade, take a athletic, kind of raw 2/3 in a guy like Kennedy Winston who would no doubt be available at pick 24. Similar to Rip Hamilton/Michael Redd.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Are you saying Warrick won't be around at #24? I didn't think so at first, but the 3 UNC players push everyone back 3 spots.

I think there is a good chance that Warrick might be around, but hopefully we pick up Simien.

3. gucci888

Here is my draft order:

1. Wayne Simien- Good size, great rebounder, nice offensive game under the basket.

2. Ronny Turiaf- Big body, good rebounder, nice all around offense.

3. Franciso Garcia- Best shooter in the draft. Good size at 6'7". Could backup up TMac nicely and then eventually start at SG.

4. Hakim Warrick- Athletic beyond words. Not much of an offensive game other than dunks, too thin to play PF-not enough offense to play SG. But maybe the most athletic player in the draft.

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I totally agree. The only other teams with multiple 1sr rounder are Denver, NY, Charollette and Toronto. The only team I see us making a trade with is Toronto. They have the 16th pick and 7th.
    I thought maybe taking Jalen Rose/Raefer of thier hands = 16th and 42nd pick in exchange for expiring contracts + Juwon Howard. Considering its a deep draft we could get some value picks.

5. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

PF - Turiaf,Warrick,Simien

SG/SF - Garcia,Wright,Winston (I want quick guys who can slash and shoot in order to replace Wesley)

7. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

I see both Siemen and Warrick as tweeners in the NBA.
    Not to sound redundant, but Turiaf seems as a good compliment to Yao and allready has a NBA body.
    For peremiter athleticism I'd address matter by free agency(Gerald Wallace) or with all the non drafted coming out of college(I like Orien Greene).

ALA

8. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I started a thread earlier about this (too early I guess), basically I believe that as you get deeper into the draft you really have to look at attitude and desire to win more and college results less. Simien has some of the attitude but is too small and had injury issues in college when he was the bigger player. Turiaf has a personallity that is a lot like Yao in that he can play hard but it is work to him and not about heart and desire. Warrick has problems with size relative to position in that he played PF in college. He definitely does not have the size to play a traditional PF role in the NBA but think about what his atleticism, defense and hustle would have done for us in the series with Dallas. And what if we won that series. Who guards Amare or Marion and what if the Sonics won who guards Rashard. This is a player type that we need. We can't expect Tmac to guard every tall athletic offensive player.

I don't know where we are going to get him but this team needs a player like Warrick and don't worry about who is going to guard the big slow power forwards we haven't had problems with them.

9. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Isn't the above a bit contradictory with your sig? ;) :p

10. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

I voted for Warrick, but, we are still paying for the last time we passed on a high schooler from Texas

11. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Hakim Warrick is as tall and skinny as tmac but without the skills, lol.....he needs to get bigger if he'll play pf.....or get a handle and a shot to be a sf

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

I dont think Cj Miles is even half as good as Gerald Green.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Please add Wayne Simien to the Poll. He is very likely to be there around where the rockets pick.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

i personally know chaning frye, he is how do u say, stupid, i don't think i could respect the rockets if they drafted him...

15. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Gerald Green is going to be All-Star someday

16. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

I voted for Garcia but I would also be ok with Warrick or Simien. All of them would five us athleticism and depth.

17. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

I dont think gracia is all that fast, but he can shoot. I think the rockets need more speedy players.

18. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

yeah i agree, gerald green is going to be better than cj miles...but with our pick being 24 he wont likely be around since he is a lottery pick for sure. these players i have listed are ones we could actually get. otherwise i would slap bogut , marvin williams and chris paul up there.

i say if we can honstely pick up a good/decent pf free agent this offseason...then we need to get a quick swingman for sure. warrick would be great for that b/c he can slash into the lanes with ease and can be a contributor to tmac to help create offense for our older spot-up shooters like barry, sura, and weslley. he can also rebound with the best of them and i love his aggresivness around the hoop.

if we cannot get a decent pf in the offseason, we need to get turiaf... as of right now i think of him as a poor mans kenyon martin but without the punk attitude. he can spotup for 15 feet for sure and can finnish hard going to the rim. he has great eye hand cordination for a big man as well..which will help in the transition game since ours was terrible in the playoffs.

just my 2 cents

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

6'8 255 is not too small to play power forward in the NBA if a guy can score in the low post and rebound tenaciously. Simien does both of those things very well, not to mention he can hit a mid range jumper. The injury issues are the only holdup with Simien, and that is why he might drop into the Rockets lap. In my honest opinion he has the most polished/complete game of any power forward in this draft.

20. gucci888

If we can pickup a PF through FA or a trade (i.e. Marshall, SAR, Chandler), then we should pickup a swingman type player (i.e. Garcia or Miles).