1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Revisit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dfwrox, Feb 6, 2007.

1. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Now we all know what Shane can bring to Rockets -- he is one the reason that Rockets can get such good record with Yao out of line up.

On the other hand, we also saw Brandon Roy's performance in Portland.

My question is this: Knowing what you know now, and assume Rockets had the choice of either draft Brandon Roy or trade for Shane, which option would you take?

2. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Trade for Shane.. because Roy might be good for a rookie at the moment but Shane is a proven veteren... he has proven that he can provide offense(hit a good precentage from 3,hook shot, etc ), and has outstanding defense

WHOS YO DADDY, BATTIER

3. chiorsung

chiorsung Member

I would still take shane over over brandon roy. We may need talk about the 2005 draft. I really wish that CD could have used the 24th pick on David Lee, eventhough head is great. David lee will be a perfect fit for our 4.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I love Brandon Roy, but Shane is a proven NBA player on both ends of the floor.

I have wanted Shane Battier since the year he came out....I think we took EG that year, and I wanted Shane.....

Shane is DA MAN !

DD

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I'll take Shane over and over.

This is the year we can actually try and get a solid 2nd rounder and low 1st rounder.

6. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

we got luther head

i aint complaining

we need a "horry" type player on our team

david lee?? we have chucky hayes

7. chiorsung

chiorsung Member

IMHO, David Lee is hayes+++.

8. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

he's a good player to have if everything is going great. if t-mac wasn't performing at an mvp level we wouldn't be winning and shane's intangibles wouldn't mean anything.

9. paradox

paradox Member

I think Shane to T-Mac is like Pippen to Jordan.
    (well, maybe a poor man's version). ;)

10. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

not even a poor man's version.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

maybe in pre-season a lee for hayes trade was possible but it's now a pipedream. rockets just don't have the assets or at least what the knicks want to get lee, ie no point in bringing it up.

12. chiorsung

chiorsung Member

what i was saying is that I wish that CD could have picked up lee instead of head. this a draft revisit thread, right? No point in bringing it up? i do not think so.

13. MONON

MONON Member

Back to the original thread topic, the Shane trade was the #2 option in case Roy was gone. I would have picked Roy if available then, but now I'm glad we traded for Shane.

14. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

even though battier was a great player with memphis.. I actually believe he is improving under JVG. He get's so many open looks w/ tmac & yao in the lineup.. his defense has improved too.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I always thought Shane was a good player. I never even knew his season averages, I'd just watch some random grizzlies games and think "Man, he must be a pretty big player for them." I looked at his career stats for the first time last year and was shocked at how low they were. He made a big impression on me and I couldn't believe that his numbers screamed fifth man. Well now I know firsthand how stats cannot record his impact.

As long as Tmac and Yao are here, I can't think of a better complementary piece than Shane Battier. Roy would be nice, but I'm loving our guy.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'd take shane over any player in last years draft.

17. BlakeB

BlakeB Member

Shane is the perfect fit for our team... if we didn't have guys like Yao, Tracy, Juwan, and Bonzi we could use a guy like Roy but we have a team built to win in the next 5 years. For that reason we are much better off with Battier.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If on draft day you told me, "Pick one: Shane Battier or Brandon Roy" I would have picked Roy. Now, i'm understanding why that wouldn't have been the smartest move for the short-term. Battier is our "glue guy" that gives us all the intangibles and then some. In the long-run, Brandon Roy is going to be an All-Star and will have a much, much more glorified career when it's all said and done but Roy also wouldn't have us on the cusp of contending for a title right now the way Battier has us doing.

19. cdastros

cdastros Member

What about the second round. The rockets had a chance to get Criag Smith or Alexander Johnson instead of Steve Novak.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Battier went 6th and Griffin went 7th IIRC -- so we had no shot at him.