1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft intel from fairly reliable sources...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

Darko was on the bench and hardly played when Detroit won the championship. So hard to say he was actually part of the team's success. Plus LeBron was the #1 overall pick and took his team to a finals appearance. All the Texans did with Mario was fight for last place in the division for a majority of his time here and he has never took a team to the playoffs... Buffalo paid him $100 million and they're drafting in the top 10.

Miami had success with Marino. Super Bowl appearance and playoff appearances and he carried them. And what did the Texans achieve with Mario...???

And I said Bush as well... Not just VY. The one thing Carr could do was check down to the running back and Bush would have took some of the defensive attention away from Dre and he could help win games on special teams.

I'm not saying what they should have done... I'm saying it's hard to say the Texans made the right decision when they didn't win anything with Mario. And there weren't many Texans fans sad to see Mario go so he didn't have a impact on the fans either.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did you seriously just call for a Carr to Bush check-down?

Jeez, this draft needs to get here ASAP...

And btw, Mario was a better player than Bush or VY. The other two got drafted to better teams.... and they didn't have much to do with that (and both were shipped off without hesitation when their play diminished).

3. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

LOL are there draft fairies? Probably so.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

Texans May Wait on a Quarterback - Until Round 3

Updated April 30, 2014
    By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Many projected the Texans to reach with the first-overall pick for a quarterback over the past few months, but the Texans are now extremely likely to take the draft's best player, South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowneym with the first-overall pick. We've heard that barring a mega trade of draft picks similar to the Robert Griffin III package two years ago, the Texans will go with Clowney.

With Clowney being evident as the first pick, many have now assumed that the Texans would take a quarterback to start off the second round. However, we've also learned from sources that the Texans are considering waiting on a quarterback until the third or fourth round.

Houston believes that a good player with a firm first-round grade will fall to pick No. 33, and the team would be better off taking that player with a quarterback coming later. The talent at 33 could be too good to pass on a player that they don't consider to be a franchise quarterback - in which they say that it is plausible they wait to nab a signal-caller until the third round.

So what could Houston do at No. 33 if it doesn't take a quarterback? Some of the talented players that could be there include Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley, Minnesota defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman, Notre Dame defensive tackle Louis Nix and defensive end Stephon Tuitt.

The Texans needed an inside linebacker in the 2013 draft and didn't land one. Mosley would be a great fit in their defense next to Brian Cushing. A front seven that includes Clowney, J.J. Watt, Cushing and Mosley could be tremendous. They also need a five-technique defensive end after losing Antonio Smith this offseason. Hageman and Tuitt could fill that role, while Nix would meet the need for a nose tackle in Romeo Crennel's defense.

Offensively, some of the candidates to fall to Round 2 and cause the Texans to wait on a quarterback include USC wide receiver Marqise Lee, Oregon State Brandin Cooks, Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde and LSU running back Jeremy Hill. Houston needs a slot receiver for O'Brien's offense. They also need a young back to pair with Arian Foster.

If the Texans wait until the third round to take a quarterback, the potential targets could be Pitt's Tom Savage and Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas. Both have plus skill sets for O'Brien to work with. Taking Savage or Thomas could provide them with a more talented roster and avoid reaching for a quarterback above their appropriate draft slot.

If Houston doesn't like the first-round prospects who fall to day two, they could decide to take a quarterback like Louisville's Teddy Bridewater or Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo. The Texans are also open to trading down in the second round and adding more picks to address the holes on their roster.

5. Remii

Remii Member

New Orleans hasn't won another super bowl without Bush and I don't believe Tennessee has been back to the playoffs without VY... But the Texans were better without Mario.

And as good as Mario was _ I don't see any Texans fans (even you) crying about how the Texans should have kept him. Lol.

But it looks like you guys will get what you want and the Texans will draft Clowney so they can try to stop Luck just like they drafted Mario so they could try to stop Manning which worked out great. Playoffs here we come...

6. Indaface

Indaface Member

Remember the Tennessee team that VY led to 10-6 that you keep harping about...well the next year they went 13-3 with Kerry Collins at QB.

And the Saints replaced Reggie with Darren Sproles who proceeded to break the all time single season total yardage record his first year with the team. The reason they haven't been back to the Superbowl has zilch to do with Reggie not being there and everything to do with the fact that their defense in 09 was a turnover creating machine and the NFC is a tough cookie to get out of.

7. Remii

Remii Member

Ok...

And the Texans battled for the bottom of the division year after year with Mario and you consider that a success. They had an offensive minded head coach and kept drafting defensive players with early round picks and now they want to do the same.

Good thing for O'Brien is that if it doesn't work out the 1st couple of years _ fans around here will blame Romeo and let O'Brien skate just like they did with Kubiak.

8. Indaface

Indaface Member

I'm not saying Mario is a success, I'm saying Mario out of those 3 players was the right choice because as a player he has been the most successful individually in his career. When it comes to the #1 pick i'll take a guy that other teams wanted over a flameout and a situational rb.

You are the one that brought team accomplishments into the discussion. I was just proving you that those guys were not as crucial to their team's success as you had originally pointed out.

9. Remii

Remii Member

I'm a fan of the team... Mario having individual success on a losing team does nothing for me. And even when he was here _ unlike with J.J. fans were lukewarm with his performance when he was here.

That's a matter of opinion on how much Bush and VY helped their teams as individuals.

But like I said _ looks like you guys are going to get your way with Clowney. I hope it works out.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Texans were great when Mario was learning the OLB position...his season was cut short because of injury, but for having 5 sacks in 4.5 games, that wasnt a bad start to his OLB career. There is no telling how a full season of Mario and Watt could have turned out...but the small sample size we did have showed that it could have been something special.

The reason Texans fans werent crying about Mario leaving was because everyone knew that it would be impossible to keep him, due to the crappy cap management. Unless Mario wanted to take a 50% pay cut, we werent getting him. Therefore, there was no reason to cry. It was an expected ending.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Are you speaking for every Texans fan...??? Only about 10 people in this city gave a darn about Mario regardless of the contract situation.

12. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I have heard that the Texans really like Logan Thomas in the later rounds, have heard that if he doesn't work out as a QB Bob and staff would attempt to get him to go to TE position. I have also heard the early targets are 1. Mack or 2.Barr in the first and that they hope Bridgewater really does fall to the second rd(hearing Bob likes the way he thinks the game). Also, they will not trade back into the first for a QB. Again this could be total BS, nobody knows until everyone puts there cards on the table draft night.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Are YOU speaking for every Texans fan...???

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I would vomit if Logan Thomas were our QB. I don't see that happening.

Bridgewater at 2-33? Maybe, although I don't think he's a fit for BO'B

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Your'e in serious revisionist denial if you think Bush or VY were the major reasons for their team's success. I will venture to say they were barely a blip on the radar.

Same goes for Mario. He did, however, have the "best" career out of the three, thus you can't really fault the Texans for drafting him above the other two. Could easily make the case that they likely would have been even worse-off with Bush (no Arian, who fit this offense much better), or VY (for obvious reasons).

In the end, you're basically just proving that one player in this league (by himself) does not make the difference between winning and losing... and I'm actually on board with TRADING the pick for multiple players, based in part on that above principle (that this team needs as many good players as possible, and that outweighs one "great" player... and none of the usual candidates may end up even being that player).

#115 Nick, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  16. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Agree with this 100% unless that "great" player is a QB

17. Remii

Remii Member

I never made that statement Nick...

But the Texans never had success with Mario... Period.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Fine... and yet he was still the "right" pick over those other two. And if you never made that statement, stop bringing up their team's results as a reason for why they were the "better" pick.

One player cannot make the difference between winning and losing in the NFL, and all three of those guys exemplify that quite well (with both the Saints and Titans having success without much contribution from those players, and the Texans having success after the departure of their player).

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

sure... and if they felt there was a "great" QB in this draft, they wouldn't be talking about trading down.

20. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm okay with Bridgewater at 2.1, and would be alright with Mack, but you better trade down for him and pick up an asset. No way do you take him 1.1 over Clowney IMO