1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft intel from fairly reliable sources...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Apr 28, 2014.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's just trolling. There's no way you can argue that knowing what we know now, the Texans should've drafted Young. After hearing all of the stories about how irresponsible he was with money and fame in Nashville, how do you think he would've acted in Houston as the hometown hero? He probably would've flamed out even faster.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No. I didn't really inquire about anyone. Texas A&M was brought up but Manziel was never specifically mentioned; only implied; strongly - we all understood we were talking about him despite none us mentioning him by name. But I never asked for any details; just collected scraps here and there that, when put together, told a fairly coherent story.

And btw, if you're wondering why I think they're trading the pick, here's a hint (again, I'm purposefully being obtuse):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ThaShark316_28

4. Remii

Remii Member

McNair said from jump that the Texans were open to trading the pick and every since the owners meeting reports have been that the Texans are trying "HARD" to trade the pick. So it shouldn't be a surprise or shock if they do.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, that's hilarious. How does VY still have supporters?

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Dude! Don't do that!!!

I opened the first spoiler saw Carr and immediately got to thinking Derek Carr. Damn near gave me a stroke.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've been as hard as anyone on the problems of the Texans front office. But I will give this regime one thing. Their decision to pass on the "consensus #1 and once in a generation player aka Reggie Bush" turned out to be correct. Their decision to pass on the "consensus most exciting hometown player who took college football by storm and is a winner and has all the intangibles and has to be picked QB aka Vince Young" also turned out to be correct.

Quite frankly, a great deal stud pass rushers can be had late in the 1st rounds and mid-rounds. And the history of sub-6 foot QB, especially one that is quite suspect in a lot of other things even beyond height, are pretty bad. Logically speaking, the Texans would be making the correct decision to trade down if a good offer showed up.

But I still wouldn't bet on them nailing those extra picks though. Would be typical Texans. Make the right choice by going against public sentiment, but still fail in the grand scheme of things.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Pleased to hear Manziel is a non-issue.

I'm ok with a trade. If someone is willing to give you a King's ransom for Clowney, I say do it.

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

It's only a non-issue if Manziel doesn't perform well and/or your alternative pick is similar or better in performance.

If Mario Williams had a career similar to Courtney Brown and Vince Young performed similarly to Dante Culpepper, we still wouldn't have heard the end of that colossal mistake.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

11. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

I too hope for a trade. None of the QBs excite me--Manziel is boom or bust with a very high bust probability, Bridgewater used to be my favorite but his small hands and throwing a poor ball are huge turn-offs, and Bortles' games at UCF remind me of Gabbert- completion percentages inflated by bubble screens while his down the field bullets were often off-target. People who say Clowney's motor won't be a problem have a really short memory on how frustrating it was to watch Mario get taken care of by one blocker for 3 games before having one monster game after the local media calls him out.

Trade down to 6, grab an additional 2nd rounder +/- 3rd/4th rounder and a 1st rounder in 2015. Take Mack in the first, Jimmy G/Aaron Murray/or Tom Savage with 2.1, and RT/DE/CB with 2.5, 3.1, 3.6.

12. Remii

Remii Member

New Orleans won a Super Bowl with Bush being a big part of that... Tennessee made the playoffs with VY... But although Mario has had individual success, the Texans didn't win 5h1t with him and he's no longer here. None of those 3 players are on the original teams that drafted them.... So did the Texans make the right choice...??? Hard to answer that if you have a big picture point of view.

13. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

This is why judging a football player by wins and losses is misguided. He is part of a team.

14. Indaface

Indaface Member

Well one is out of the league (although he's still trying to get back in), one is a solid rb and the other got a 100 million dollar second contract.

In terms of as NFL players it's clear the most valuable one ended up being Mario. Although the other two had more team success (VY playoffs and Reggie a superbowl), an individual selection is just about the player and his career. Right now Mario is head and shoulders above the other two as an NFL player.

Yes Reggie played a part with the Saints but that team won a Superbowl behind Brees and a turnover causing defense that year. VY had a nice start but quickly flamed out behind his lack of maturity. I'm not the biggest Mario fan but he was definitely the right choice.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

There was once a NBA draft where Cleveland picked Lebron James and Detroit picked Darko Milicic.

Cleveland championships with Lebron - 0
    Detroit championships with Darko - 1

Darko achieved more team success than Lebron with their original teams.

That is the logic you're using.

16. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have more Super Bowl rings than Dan Marino.
    Chuck Nevitt and Mark Madsen have more championship rings than Charles Barkley.

Maybe he has a point... should have drafted VY!

17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I doubt we trade back. Would be quite the haul though.

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Do you know? I'm fairly sure he was never all pro. He made the pro bowl (not the same thing) as a backup.

In this guys defense, VY did scorch the Texans in his homecoming. With Mario's foot problems it DID look like the Texans made the wrong call but there is little denying now that Mario is the better player and was the best pick. One guy is the highest paid defensive player ever and the other can't get a job as a 3rd string backup. (Still love you Vince)

Let's remember that Manziel is NOT from Houston. He grew up in Cowboys territory so I would not be shocked if his dream is to be the Dallas Cowboys Quarter Back. I'm sure he would love to play for the Texans if it meant he was drafted in the top 5.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

No, VY was never All-Pro. Mario is a 2 time 2nd Team All-Pro which isn't quite the same as All Pro (meaning First Team), but it's a hell of a lot closer than VY got.

And VY is one of those guys who made the Pro Bowl because somebody else dropped out. In 2006 because Phillip Rivers was injured and Tom Brady declined an invitation, and in 2009 again because Rivers and Brady were injured and Carson Palmer declined (because he was injured). That was the year Schaub (who also got in due to injuries) won Pro Bowl MVP.

Mario Williams was voted in for all 3 of his Pro Bowls.

20. Remii

Remii Member

I'm not judging the football players _ I'm judging the team...

You're saying the same thing Mr Indaface said. You're judging the success of the individual player and I'm judging the success of the teams with the individual player and Tennessee and N.O. had more success with Bush and VY than the Texans had with Mario.

I don't give a d@mn that Mario is still in the league because he's not on the Texans. Him being in Buffalo does the Texans are us fans any good.