1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft intel from fairly reliable sources...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Apr 28, 2014.

1. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any indication if we're interested in a position player or a QB? Trading back to draft a QB seems like a terrible move to me; none of these guys are top 10 worthy. I'd only be okay with sliding back even further, and if that happens we better be picking up more than 1 first rounder.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Disappointed, but I'll deal. The thing I worry about is if they are this desperate to trade down, our haul won't be great.

3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

If it is true the Texans want to trade down I think it is obvious they are not too interested in Clowney.

I think they are more interested in Mack, just don't want to take him at 1-1. Mack after all is a much better fit for this team than Clowney.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No you don't.

"boom or bust".... what is this, their one shot at glory? And you presume you can't get a "boom" out of extra picks/players that helps this team build a foundation?

By my count, this is the THIRD time they've had the #1 pick, and neither of the previous two did much to enhance this franchise from the "boom" aspect (and one of them turned out to be the highest paid defensive player ever). And lets not rehash all the other top half of the draft picks that this team has swung for the fences, and missed on.

You let me know... is Clowney more likely to have a Mario Williams-type career, or a Lawrence Taylor-type career? And that's with full acknowledgment that he'd be worth the #1 pick if he had a Mario Williams-type career.

I just think this team needs more than that... and if this is the last time in this era they're going to have the #1 pick, they need to get as many quality players out of it as possible.

5. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Texans have been very smart in not giving too much away and the fact they have mentioned Mack less than anyone else in that top group makes me think they may actually pull the trigger on him.
    I won't be disappointed at all.

6. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I'm just saying that Bortles doesn't strike me as someone the Texans can point to and excite the fan base. I know that's not high on the list for management, but when you compare him against a former Heisman Trophy winner and one of the highest rated prospects to come out in years, Blake just comes off as....bleh.

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Here is a pretty good article that gives specific examples of how trading down is not as fruitful as one would hope.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/4...ney-for-picks-a-study-in-the-wcav-of-big-time

While you are correct that there are no guarantees about Clowney you can't assume that any additional picks will be more than "just another guy."

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Is this a fan base that needs a hyped up player to "excite" them? Last I checked, there's still a waiting list for season tickets into the thousands. There's still a ton of Texans radio talk in the midst of the NBA playoffs and the start of the baseball season (and it will only intensify after the draft... basically making them a YEAR-ROUND hot topic in this city).

Again, Bortles may very well end up having as "bleh" a career as his pre-draft hype has been... but if this front office, and more importantly if their new QB-guru coach, feels he's the best chance to get this team back to being a winner, you can't really argue against it (until he actually fails at being a starting NFL QB).

And again... if Clowney was one of the highest rated prospects to come out in "years"... then why has there been so much debate as to "who should be #1."? Why aren't teams offering their entire drafts for him (like they wanted to do with Luck, or like they did with Ricky Williams)?

1 person likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Still see more benefits of trading... especially if the guy you really want is not really worthy of the #1 pick.

If the Texans really want Mack or Bortles (or both) over Clowney, why wouldn't they make a trade, and possibly get extra picks (in addition to the player-s that they really want)?

10. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

According to Pancakes, in his mock draft 150.0 they are taking Clowney, Manziel, Bortles, Mack, or trading down. Hes bound to get it right one way or another.

11. JazzLakerHater

Lol if that tool beloved Manziel is a viable option to the Texans. I will be shocked if Maziel is even in the discussion for the Texans. I got nothing against Johnny but that's just the vibe I get from the organization.

12. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I could care less about exciting the fan base on draft day. Nick Fairley would have excited the fan base a few years ago, and we shared a collective "WTF?" when they selected some "bleh" lineman from Wisconsin.
    I liked the hire of BOB, so I'm gonna trust that he takes the players that he thinks gives us the best chance to win. Winning will get the fan base excited.

13. Summer Song Giver

The team had an established foundation and now most of them are gone or old, AJ, OD, Demeco, Winston, Barwin, Briesel, Arian, Glover and Mario; they nailed the 2006 draft and completely squandered all that potential waiting on Gary to become a suitable NFL head coach.

Now we are starting over, and looking to repeat the same song over again, slow and steady doesn't win in the NFL, you have to gamble big sometime, because otherwise guys start walking when they start hitting FA.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're saying two different things... you acknowledge that establishing a core is very important to sustained winning, yet discount it simply because this team underachieved for three years where they "should" have been better (and still eventually as able to get two successful playoff season from the core, one of which could have been a deeper run if not for injuries).

I'll gladly take an established core that needs either better coaching, more luck (or both) to become a sustained winning team. Hell, I'll take those two playoff runs again... with the possibility of better game plans (with a coach who believes in game-planning for an opponent), you could see better outcomes.

And who's saying anything about "slow and steady"? With an established core, you can start winning a lot of games in a hurry.

And there aren't any recent examples of a team "gambling big" in the draft and coming out on top "in a hurry".

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Over and over again? I don't get this. Haven't we been in existence just over 10 years now?

We just got the once in a lifetime DE with the 11th pick just 3 years ago. When guys like Von Miller, Aldon Smith, and Marcell Dareus were supposed to be that guy. He didn't wow people at the combine with his speed or athleticism but he did have motivation to become the best there ever was.

I don't feel like Clowney is the next coming of anyone just because he's a freak athlete in shorts. What counts is what you do on the field and this guy doesn't have it put together mentally to become that type of building block.

I'm all for trading down if it means skipping out on Mario Williams 2.0

16. Summer Song Giver

And this is what, the third "reboot" in ten years, at what point do you say, this franchise doesn't have a clue?

Keeping Rick Smith is further evidence that they still haven't figured it out and in four, maybe five years we'll likely be right back here arguing it all over again, sometimes you have to dare to be special, I'm firmly in the JFF corner in that regard.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

3rd reboot only if you count being an expansion team a "reboot".

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Having what I think will be the #1 and #2 pass rushers in the entire NFL has more value to me than having an extra first and second rd pick.

I think Bridgewater, Bortles could both be sitting at 2.1 pick

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Jesus, you sound traumatized. Maybe following the Texans is too much for you. "Dare to be special..." Wow.

20. NateNate

NateNate Member

Hate to say it but i think if Kubes was still here he would support Manziel