1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft intel from fairly reliable sources...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As long as the fairy is reliable....

2. Summer Song Giver

Blake Bortles, just screams Texan doesn't it. They'll spin it of course, "We were able to move down and still get the guy we wanted", blah blah blah.

But at the end of the day you'll still be just the mediocre Texans who sniff the playoffs once or twice every five to seven years never making any noise because they don't run it like winning is the only acceptable outcome. Never daring to do anything exceptional.

I poop on this team.

1 person likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I expected to not even think much about the draft until it got here. Sadly, the Rockets give me no choice...

Just draft Clowney and get it over with.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Khalil Mack and Teddy Bridgewater, here we come!!!!

5. Raven

Raven Member

If the Texans trade away the right to draft either Manziel or Clowney, it only confirms what I have long suspected about Uncle Bob, that he has no balls.

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

This is what I worry about and have my doubts about BOB being the guy at this point. I think they have 0 interest b/c they want the QB with the prototypical size.

7. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

The "ulitmate individual" that will do what ever he can to get a win for the team. I think your are way off base on this one. If they don't pick Manziel or have 0 interest it is b/c BOB want's a prototypical QB. At least that is how I see it.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't want any NFL owner making a decision that's as important as this draft is to this team.

Manziel isn't the second coming of anybody... there's more evidence to say he won't make it in the NFL than he will (let alone succeed/be a franchise player). Clowney is great... but there's also a good chance that he's not the next Lawrence Taylor (just like the last 10 guys who were supposed to be the next LT weren't).

You get multiple first-day picks/future picks, along with a top 5-7 pick for him, you make the deal.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

At 1-6 we could likely get Bortles or an O-lineman. Then take a pass rusher at 2-33 and a QB/o-lineman if we didn't grab them at 2-39

I still prefer Clowney at 1-1.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

that's the texans. you nailed it.

Never do anything to win.. never do anything to lose.

JUST. GET. THROUGH. ANOTHER.SEASON. should be the slogan.

It's like a bad sexless relationship that gives you a token blow job every x period just to hold you over till next month. When is your period over baby?

The entire philosophy is predicated on giving enough hope to dangle the carrot.

Status quo and just get through another season so folks can get slightly excited enough about 'next year' Their specialty is selling everyone on 'potential' hook line and sinker fan base.

Funny part is people make fun of rockets at 14th seed wallow in mediocre and texans are the epitome of half ass just barely but never enough.

Les alexander is a freaking god next to these tomato cans texan organization and now we will ride the new england train for as long as they can stretch it.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You don't waste time on "sexy" or "risky" picks on a team with this many needs. Wait till the team has an established foundation, then go after boom or bust-type players (mainly referring to Manziel... not Clowney, who likely will be good, but unless he's got for-sure "HOF" type potential, they need more than him).

Hell, the Rockets blew it with the "sexy" signing of Jeremy Lin. And the NBA is a league where just one player can turn your fortunes around.

Lastly, not sure why there's all this "and/or" when it comes to supporting the Houston teams... like somebody is incapable of supporting all 3 (or if you support one way of team-building, you have to apply that same ideology to all the teams you support).

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

he won't be there at 6. he's probably the 2nd best player in the draft. If he gets past Jax, we might have a shot, but Oakland and Cleveland could also grab him. There's also a chance another team moves up to grab him ahead of #6.

I think that if Houston decides to trade back, they have another player besides Mack that they are expecting to take. Does look more and more like it could be Bortles.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Clowney, Manziel, or Mack are the guys i'd like to see us end up with. I honestly think we need to be blown away to give up the right to draft Clowney, and it's doubtful Mack will be on the board if we move back later than #3.

I would be disappointed to give up a chance to draft a once in a lifetime player, just to pick up a late 1st rounder next year, and a 2nd rounder this year.

So basically, if we can trade back and still grab one of those 3 players ...DO IT. But if not, they better get a crap-load of picks (like franchise changing; like Dallas Cowboys Hersal Walker type picks).

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WHo's this once in a lifetime player?

All of the guys in the draft have been WAY over hyped / rated.

I just can't wait to get this draft over with....

15. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Man, if we end up with Bortles out of all this because he's got all the "measureables" to be an NFL quarterback, I'm going to be disappointed. I've never been terribly high on him, and it hasn't changed in the past few months. Nothing about him screams, "I'm going to be a star in the NFL and will lead you to the Promised Land!" to me. Just very vanilla, which seems to fall right in line with what McNair has wanted his team to be. Inoffensive, plain, and boring.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bortles may very well end up as plain/boring as you suggest.... but basically you're discounting him because he's doesn't have the "hype" and isn't the "sexy" pick.

Looking at the history of great/superstar/HOF NFL QB's... more of them were under hyped or just not thought that highly of, than were picked as franchise saviors.

17. Raven

Raven Member

And pass on Clowney? Any player can be a bust, but to pass on Clowney because pundits question his motor is crazy. Maybe Clowney will win underachiever of the year. Maybe he shows up to training camp over weight and out of shape. But you can play the maybe game all day long. He's a stud with lightning speed, and he has the "potential" to be a force of nature. Even if you don't buy the Manziel hype, there is still Clowney, waiting to be drafted, waiting to see which team hires him to terrorize QBs for the next ten years.

Boom or bust, you have to take that chance on one of these two players.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Wasn't everyone saying this same **** whenever we drafted Watt?

Do I need to repost some of those reactions from that draft thread?

19. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

If they do take a trade say with Atlanta, they may wait until Atlanta is actually on the clock to accept - that way there will be no further shenanigans on their #6.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If this trade goes down you could use the extra picks to move back into the first t0 get one of the QBs.

Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel all could slide to the end of the first. Just need to jump ahead of the Browns second first rounder to ensure one.