1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Dilemma

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verynice, Mar 19, 2006.

1. verynice

verynice Member

We need a JJ Reddick kind of outside shooter, but he probably can`t play good enough defense on opposing 2-guards! And the ones that can in the draft (play defense good enough to satisfy JVG) are not "automatic enough" to help YAO and hopefully a healthy T-MAC from the constant double-teams. Either we play zone to cover our defensive liabilities (fire JVG), or get a defensive stud who can shoot 'average' with the hope of improving his shooting with more experience in the NBA. This is going to be an important summer....of making solid aquisitions (not sure we have the talent evaluaters in the organization)...we can`t afford another Boki, Griffan`s, Ward, Piakowski (sp)...I think we need to have an outside, independant analysis/analyst...to give some objectivity to our future decisions!

2. University Blue

Houston may have a dilemma in the upcoming draft, but it won't be because of JJ Redick. :)

I am looking forward to this summer. Outside of YM, McGrady, Sura, (Wesley), Lampe, Mutombo, and Bogans; Houston can potentially begin next season w/ 7 new players.

There is a market for Alston and Swift. The question is: does Houston want to buy what other teams are selling?

Players like Murphy are available. Harpring, Mohammed, and Tim Thomas are free agents.

From the projected draft position, it's not unreasonable to expect a guard who can dribble and hit the open shot or a forward who can play defense or rebound.

Personally, I don't think this team goes anywhere w/o solid PG play...and I don't think Alston is that guard.

My primary offseason target would be: Hinrich

3. University Blue

My secondary offseason target would be: Jason Williams........for Howard and Head

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

And I assume you got some compromising photos of Bulls GM to get it done? :D

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I agree w/ Hinrich but you have to be joking about JH/Head for JWill.

6. University Blue

[Cue my Simon Cowell voice.] IMHO, Jason Williams can potentially be the starting PG on a championship team.

7. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Both Hinrich and JWill have talent. So does Ridnour and Watson. I think we really should upgrade our backcourt.

The backcourt problem is more important than our PF problem.

UPGRADE THE BACKCOURT!

8. 523744

523744 Member

Jason Terry..

9. Ra Ooh La La

Ra Ooh La La Contributing Member

And, ladies & gentlemen, we have a winner. I wonder if Sura and Terry are fairly close from their time together in the NBA wasteland known as Atlanta. JTMoney would be perfect if we could just find some cash for him somewhere . . . I don't know where . . . Anywhere.

I just have visions of him sticking it to the Mavs every time we play them. He'd be the intense and competitive dead-eye floor leader for which we've all been desperately pining.

10. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

He is not taking a paycut to come play for the Rockets. He makes 7.5 million right now; correct me if I'm wrong but i believe the Rockets have only the MLE to offer.

11. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

agreed he is making more than the MLE now and you know Cuban is not going to let him walk.

I really dont know who is available and why they would want to come to the Rox.

J

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Draft dilemma? Too early to worry about the draft because we have no idea where we will pick and how the available talent will line up after evaluations. I'll guess right now if our pick is 10-12 we will find a better NBA player than Reddick.

Outside analyst? You mean, Jonathan Niednagel (the Brain-typing guy)?

Free agency and trades will be key. Another total mess up means we clean house starting with the coach & GM.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I say we draft guards with size and athleticism who'll definitely improve our perimeter defense as a priority. Ball-handling skills and good decision-making is a plus.

Players can learn to shoot better, but if they don't have the quickness to defend well coming out of college they probably never will.

14. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

I say Adam Morrison out of Gonzaga would be an ideal JVG player.. Hes on of those players that is gonna draw the double off of T-Mac. He can play the SG spot and is stong defensevly.

15. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

adam morrison is NOT strong defensively. and the more i watch him play, the more i realize he isn't going to be a good team player. it's all about him when he's out there. even if he is missing in the face of triple teams, he still throws up shots. doesn't know how to play team ball. i do NOT want adam morrison.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

well we better go on a hella loosing streak if we want that guy, or maybe move up in the draft.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. Not sure how anyone who has seen Morrison play can say he is strong defensively. The guy has very little athleticism on the court. And like you said, it's all about him on the court. He is absolutely sensational on the college court because he is easily the best player on the team and does what he likes, but I haven't seen the ability or willingness to play a team game in this kid.

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I would like to get Qyntel Woods, he's playing for the minimum right now and has kept his nose clean in NY. We can afford him and he is long and athletic, terrific finisher and is putting up pretty good numbers for NY. Would be good role player for the team.

33 5 18.8 .509 .395 .618 .8 2.6 3.4 .8 .61 .15 1.03 2.00 6.5

#18 tiger0330, Mar 19, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  19. verynice

verynice Member

I think b/c of Duke`s great college player (system makes the star) reputation, and Hurley, dunleavy (so far), laietner(sp), Ferry, jason williams (injury), (small 2 -g went to new jersey), but grant hill, elton brand, chicago`s point guard, have done allright. But look at how much he improved (jj reddick) from last year to this year. He can pass, he`s smart, and he can drive a little, but he now can shoot with 2 guys contesting his shots, which he couldn`t do a couple years ago. With the rockets he could just sit there and bury 3 pointers till they stop doubling, and he could definately make teams pay for that rotating double team. But the shooing in the nba is pretty bad currently, and I`m tired of seeing another inconsistent outside shooter, we need a marksman, who they can`t afford to give an open look or it is 3 points. Jason Terry is inconsistent from the outside, morrisson doesn`t have nba range and is slower than reddick. I think if there is one team that reddick`s talents would fit best with, it would be the rockets. Because we have two studs that are double teamed we have an enormous amount of open looks, more than any other team in the nba by far! so reddick doesn`t even have to get his own shot, he can really spread the defense with his range, (if he hits 4 in a row)...and even tracy is a sub par 3 point shooter, we need someone who can shoot 45% consistently for the entire season. And there are very few of these guys around right now. Another odd fact, is when players get wide open shots they can`t bury them b/c of the pressure of being wide open, they just haven`t learned to shoot that way, and it can be unnerving for a lot of so-called adequate outside shooters. Think of all the great players who have played in the acc, and he holds the record for scoring. I actually think he will be gone before 10-12 pick depending on the team needs...but if he is there at 10-12 range I would take him. I know we need another point guard, power forward...but a Q. Woods will not hit over 34% from 3-point range, they would be jammed in the paint. Furthermore, Yao is going to draw even more triple teams in the future so we will have even more open shooters. I think everybody underestimates the difference between a great shooter, and even a good shooter. The rockets need an automatic shooter, if you leave them open it`s 3 points, and the other team knows it! I think we need to play some sort of zone anyway, as yao should not be coming out covering on the stupid pick and roles, M. malone, said that it is crazy for yao to be running around chasing steve nash, tony parker...jvg is too stubborn/egocentric to adjust to the fact that the rockets need to change defensive schemes that better suit yao`s strengths weaknesses. A zone would help yao and a player like reddick who will have problems with more athletic players. I think reddick is unique as a player, i think he is the best shooter who has played in the nba so far, once he is drafted that is, and his talents should not be dismissed so easily b/c of the duke reputation. ;)

20. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Dude.....paragraphs are your friends.