1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Day Trade?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rocketsfan, May 14, 2001.

1. rocketsfan

rocketsfan Member

Are trades made by both or more ball clubs on draft day or before? I.e., if the Rockets were to make a trade with Vancover/Memphis for their high lottery pick in exchange for a package would Stern say we have a trade an the Rockets are on the clock or will Vancover/Memphis pick and then later the trade will be announced?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    take it one day at a time

2. MManal

MManal Member

Usually the teams pick for each other then trade later on. If the deal fits on the cap, they'll usually close it immediately ie. last yr with the Rockets, Magic, etc. If the deal hinges on cap room, then it will be completed after the FA period opens.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

3. rocketsfan

rocketsfan Member

MManal, thanks for the info..
    Hopefully a team in the top 8 picks will be picking for us in the draft. [​IMG]

------------------
    take it one day at a time

4. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

actually this is pure speculation but i wouldnt be shocked to this trade go down

detroit #9 pick- battier

for houstons #13- joe johnson plus the owed pick is payed plus say... i don know an ok player to throw in

------------------
    --TEX

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

That one won't be happening. Detroit's going to have a late pick sometime before they pick they owe is due and won't just trade down for no particular reason.

Besides, if they chose Battier (local kid who has worked for the team as a towel boy) they wouldn't turn around and trade him.

Johnson's not likely to last until 13 anyway.

------------------

6. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hobbs,

Do you believe Detroit would be interested in the #13, #22, and the pick they owe the rocks.

That would get the rocks to the #9 and guarantee a shot atleast of one of the following:

Curry
    Brown
    Chandler
    Battier
    Richardson
    Diop
    Woods
    White
    Griffin

All who could help the front court. I wouldn't mind any of these guys, but I'd rather have Battier, White, Richardson, Brown, or Chandler. I see these gus as having low bust and low attitude problem potentials.

------------------

8. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, Memphis owes Detroit (I think by next year?) and might trade its pick for lower picks so that the one it sends Detroit won't

a) be a lottery pick, let alone an awesome one, and

b) deprive the fledgling-Memphis franchise a number one pick of any kind.

Maybe we can be that team. Wishful thinking, but possible.

Of course, there are provisions placed on the pick we owe Memphis and the pick Memphis owes Detroit. And we all know those are needed. Otherwise, you can't really complain too much when a team h

ands you the #28 pick in the first round. So, if a team has questions about trusting the Pistons (or whatever team they deal with), stipulations can be made: "if the pick is between the #12 and the #22..." etc.

But you make a good point. One team doesn't want to d!ck over another. Will we ever trade again with Toronto? Will the Jerrys wake up and realize they have to actually offer something in return when a team talks trade with the Bulls? That sort of thing.

------------------

10. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Detroit might take Cato if they were able to level out the contract a little (Jud Buechler and Mikki Moore?) in a trade down. They certainly need size of any kind.

For a straight trade down with picks, I don't think they'd do that because they know they need to get a very talented player out of this draft (Dumars has said he knows it's a long shot to attract FA's without more talent in place). I'd think they're much more likely to try and trade up (swapping with Vancouver?).

As for FA's, they're targetting local guys so they can improve their chances (as far as I can tell that's what they'll do). Obviously that includes Webber but probably more likely it means Eddie Robinson. Robinson's a young SF and the team needs a SF to team with Corliss Williamson (if re-signed).

Al Houston has been mentioned a little bit, but he's obviously not a perfect fit with Stackhouse playing the same position.

------------------

11. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I didn't mention their future, I mentioned that they'll have a late first round pick in the next couple of seasons. They are owed one by Toronto through Orlando (for the Jerome Williams trade). They are covered and will not have to give up a good pick.

I disagree with your assessment of their future, but, then again, I'm a fan of theirs.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hobbs (edited May 19, 2001).]

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I believe the pick that Detroit owes us does not have to be its own; so if the Pistons had a nice pick, I'm sure they would trade down and send us something not-so-great.

I have wondered time and again if Detroit would take on any of our players, or a player we traded for to involve Detroit in a 3-way trade, for either the #9 or future considerations. I respect a fan's love for his team but right now I don't know if free agents are knocking down the door to be there. But that could change quickly if they draft home-town Shane Battier (I don't think he'll be around at #9) or sign Mo Taylor (although the team has a great power forward playing out of position at center).

Hobbs: a couple questions. Would Detroit take on Kelvin Cato? Just a fantasy, mind you, but the team has a 3.9 million exception. Also, any rumblings in Detroit about signing Allan Houston, or is that a definite pipe dream? (Quick, answer, before someone comes along and says "wrong forum!")

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROXTXIA (edited May 19, 2001).]