1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Day Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, May 19, 2010.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I think what a lot of people are looking past is the fact that Chase has a VERY Rocket friendly contract for the next few years. Like was said, this is probably close to a lateral move, and we will be paying George a lot more than Chase. In my opinion that extra money is not worth taking the chance George will be better than Chase. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Chase, but no for something like this. I would think quite a few teams would be more than happy to take Chase because of his contract, potential and work ethic. Given more minutes, he is only going to improve. The only way I see him going out is in a fairly big deal for a player or pick Morey REALLY covets (Bosh or a top 3 pick are all I would think), otherwise I expect to see Chase in a Rockets uniform next year.

Pugs

Edit: I forgot to mention my prediction. Mostly likely we won't be able to move up near the top, so I see Morey trading the #14 for a lower first round pick, 20-25 or so, and a 2nd rounder, or future protected first.

#41 pugsly8422, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm not necessarily advocating this move, but....

....if you really wanted the #2 pick in this draft, I mean, REALLY wanted that pick, seems to me Philadelphia would have more interest in Aaron Brooks. Aaron's scoring at the 1 combined with his playmaking abilities (middle-of-the-road) + Iggy's defense and playmaking would be a good combination.

Not that Aaron alone would get the #2 pick. Probably have to give up Chase, too. (And make the salaries match.)

Then use the #2 pick to make a deal with Minnesota (#4 + another of their first rounders) or Jersey.

High draft picks would give so many options. #4? Cousins or Favors (I'd prefer Udoe, but he's a reach here). Top 20 picks? Draft Bledsoe to replace Aaron, and/or replace Budinger if he was traded.

Or make that deal for Bosh.

Many people would hesitate to trade Aaron, and I like the guy, but pairing him with Kevin Martin leaves us way too vulnerable on the perimeter. I'd rather trade Kevin for the #3 or the #4 when Jersey and Minnesota get all that cap room after July 1st, but I don't see them spending their money that way, even if/when they strike out in the Summer of 2010 sweepstakes.

3. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

I think it'd be great if Morey realized Pritchard's poaching habits and is trying to throw him off the trail and free Morey to do something else last minute. I doubt Morey moves up to top4, unless they really are confident the player will help this year. Otherwise, I think they draft the backup center, which they can do at #14 or trade up a few spots, if needed.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I agree that this is more likely to happen than staying pat at 14, but I don't think parceling out the 14th pick into multiple later picks or even future picks is going to be that desirable at this point given how many players are already on our roster and how many picks we already own. To trade down with a team, I feel like we'd have to recoup our value in some other manner like upgrading a rotation spot.

5. redao

redao Member

Portland know Morey's every move. Thanks to RA.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

How is Budinger for Cousins a lateral move?

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Morey did a trade for a guy like Jason Thompson.

Something like:

Houston recieves: Jason Thompson & 33rd pick overall

Sacremento recieves: David Andersen & the 14th pick

Morey could get another big @ 33 & the Kings could draft a combo guard to pair with Evans ( Avery Bradley or Eric Bledsoe). Somebody who could play off the ball on offense & on the point on defense. This woulld allow Evans to play point on O and off the point on defense.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Favors
    Whiteside
    Rubio

Get er done Morey!

:grin:

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

1st - morey will NOT move anything that will help him acquire bosh via S&T. that means ending contracts that can match a max contract (battier, jeffries) and young players (bud, hill).

2nd - trading down usually leads to added value. if morey believes he can get the best player left but 5 spots later, and receive compensation to boot, well then thats a steal. you dont usually get that kind of deal by trading for a higher pick.

morey doesn't usually go for the sexy move. i'd bet that they either make the pick at #14 or trade down.

10. soupman

soupman Member

If the Rockets could grab Ekpe Udoh (Baylor PF) at #14, I would consider this a successful draft. Udoh at present is projected to go 11-16. Either he falls to Houston or it may not cost much to move up a few picks to grab him. Thoughts on Udoh?

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Love him! But I dont think Detroit will pass on him, but No way he lasts until 14.

12. Houston_Rockets

I don't know what and how it will happen, but DM has somethings in mind.....

- Rubio
    - 4th pick / Al Jeferson

and ultimatly

BOSH

Rubio>>>AB (only question is adaptation)

Why BIG AL???
    Because whe need a joker to land BOSH

Do you think that, for example LA, gives Bynum for Bosh, even if Bosh said that he wants Houston, Toronto won't preferer LAs bid???

We need that joker to aquire Bosh, and if we can manage Al, and if Bosh changes his mind and doesn't leave, we would already have a future all-star PF, despite not having the skills Bosh has, he is still great and young

Bosh

for

Battier
    Jeffries
    AB/Hill/Budinger
    NYK picks

Do yall really think that this is going to be the best offer for Bosh???
    DO YOU REALLY???

Don't demand to draft higher, you can't have everything

And besides why do you want to draft earlier??? we need a backup C, what is the problem with Whiteside??? He is a project, like that guy, deAndre jordan from th Clips, do you remember him destroying us with those offensive boards???

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Very nice! Both of your posts in this thread are very well thought out and make excellent points. I too think that Morey believes that Rubio is going to be a truely special PG who can run a team and make everyone else better.

To me, the unknown is how much Minnesota still values Rubio. I know that they like him alot as a player but do they think that they have a realistic shot at signing him? If they believe that they can sign him, then I don't think that they'll move him.

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

A couple of points:

Sign and trade's for star players has never been about "the best offer". The star player can leave so the team is looking to get something in return. They won't take back garbage but they will only get pennies on the dollar for the star.

I'm not sure about the feasibility of trading up to #4 but Cousins vs Whiteside is no contest. Whiteside is only a shotblocker right now and has a limited offensive game and lacks the strength to play post defense. Cousins is a 270lb load who moves well, can post up, step out and shoot a jump shot from 18 feet and is a rebounding machine. Cousins could be the backup center and he could play along side Yao. Whiteside's lack of offense would allow his defender to leave him to double on Yao. Both guys have maturity issues, but talent wise it's not even close.

15. xiaoqiu

xiaoqiu Member

you just don't get it, as long as Bosh wants to come to Houston, Toronto can't force a deal with lakers because Bosh is Free Agent this year.

That's why Morey is going to convince Bosh to come here and only Bosh says yet, Morey will approach Toronto.

This has been discussed 1 million times here but still we have some rookie doesn't bother to read the past posts.

16. Houston_Rockets

You are comparing a 4th pick to a 14th???

Did you remeber the Okafor DHoward debate before the draft???

People criticised the Orlando pick, but who is better now??? Who was a better prospect???

Who was better/dominant in college Olden or Durant???

Draft propects are not linear, not easy to predict, that is why pro scouts make mystakes, like Darko

I didn't say Whiteside was a monster, or is going to be a monster, what i am saying is, i prefer a 14th pick to be a backup, then giving half roster for a more fundamental gifted athlete that will be.................. A BACKUP C JUST LIKE THE 14th PICK

I trust Whiteside, that is what i said, i didn't say he was the best

17. Houston_Rockets

So you are saying that Bosh is the guy that decides where he wants to go??? he says i want houston, and we can offer 500 milion in fake money and the deal is done.... do you really think tha bosh will only name 1 destination???

didn't understand the bad attitude against my post.. go figure

18. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think Morey is locked in on a particular player. He'll give himself three chances (at a minimum) to get the impact player he wants. First, he'll try to move up and draft Favors or Cousins (just a guess, of course). If he can't do that, he'll fall back to pursuing Bosh. If that fails, he can always wait until the deadline, like a vulture, and pick off any GM who can't keep up with the herd. :grin:

This gives him multiple chances to radically improve the team, so the odds of success are much higher.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Don't take it too hard. They get a little cranky sometimes, but they mean well, i think.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

They mean well but there's going to be ALOT of disappointed people if Morey doesn't reel in Chris Bosh. :grin: