1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft 06': Bush or Draft picks?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Luckyazn, Jan 1, 2006.

?

What do you want?

1. Draft Reggie Bush

148 vote(s)
    83.6%
  2. Trade #1 pick for extra picks

29 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I really hope you're joking...

Pro bowl linemen are worth tons.. TONS more than a guy like DD.. I love him, but DD's trade value is quite mediocre.. the best we can hope for is maybe a decent linebacker and hopefully a 3rd rounder..

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Didn't the Seahawks and Colts try to trade Shaun Alexander and Edgerin James last season. I believe all they could get for them were 3rd round picks.

3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I can't believe this is even being discussed.....You take Reggie & use the rest of the picks in the later rounds for lineman help.

4. xlr817

xlr817 Member

We ALL need to write, stage rallies,e-mail to McNair that WE WANT BUSH in '06!!!!!!!! If that doesn't work, then we need to stage a protest in McNair's office & front lawn!!

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The Texans have to take Reggie Bush. His upside is just too great to pass up.

A friend of mine and I talked Texans football yesterday during the Bush Bowl. He said "wouldn't it be great if we lost this game, got this years #1 pick, drafted Reggie Bush, and we sucked just as bad next year, got next years #1 pick, drafted Vince Young, and got rid of David Carr? We'd win five Super Bowls in a row from 2010-2015!"

I loved it!

:eek: :D

6. updawg

updawg Member

I voted to trade it, but if casserly is still around they have to take bush. Can't let casserly waste the extra picks

7. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

This is because nobody wanted to pay them

8. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Vince Young will never be the starting QB in a super bowl

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My comment was based on the Travis Henry situation. The Bills nearly traded Henry for Leonard Davis from Arizona. They ended up getting a 3rd rounder. I'd probably be happy with either.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Travis Henry's value at the time he was being shopped > DD's trade value right now

In fact Travis Henry > DD

DD is a nice back but is injury prone and not really a stud type of back

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm in the take Bush camp, but they've got to, got to, got to, got to improve that line. They will have 1st pick in 2nd round and 1st and 2nd in 3rd round, correct? They have to take a OL on day 1 of draft.

What type of round 2-4 OL are available? What FA lineman are available? We really need 1 stud exprienced lineman as well to anchor the line.

How about Steve Hutchinson?

6. Steve Hutchinson, G, Seattle Seahawks
    Rarely would a guard rate this high on a free-agent list that includes so many talented players. But Hutchinson isn't just any guard. He'll be voted to his third straight Pro Bowl after this season and may be the premiere player at his position. Along with Walter Jones, he's a huge reason why Alexander has been so productive.

The Seahawks would love to keep him, but that's not likely to be possible once Alexander is signed, already adding to the big contracts given to Jones and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck. Seattle has to pony up some dough to defensive tackle Rocky Bernard this offseason, too. That should translate into Hutchinson going to the highest bidder, and there should be quite a few.

EDIT: Here are some others, sorry I'm not familiar with top NFL offensive lineman, so thought some others may be interested in knowing what's out there. But it sounds like Hutchinson is the true real deal OL FA this year, and if Seattle decides they'd rather keep Alexander than Hutchinson, then he should be available.

LeCharles Bentley, center, Saints

No one has noticed because, well, he's playing for the Saints, but LeCharles Bentley has had an excellent season. Bentley has a rare combination of power when taking on huge nose tackles and quickness when he needs to get up to the next level to block a middle linebacker. The Saints are 17th in Football Outsiders' adjusted line yards stat, which attempts to separate running backs from the offensive line. But they rank much higher, eighth to be exact, on runs up the middle.

There has been some talk that the league could allow the Saints to spend more money in 2006 to help make up for their status as the NFL's nomads. If that happens, they'd be wise to use as much of that money as necessary to keep Bentley around. New Orleans will most likely groom a new quarterback of the future next season, and if it does, the best protection that new quarterback could have would be Bentley keeping the up-the-gut pass rush away from him.

Kevin Shaffer, offensive tackle, Falcons

Shaffer weighs only 290 pounds, and he plays for Atlanta offensive line coach Alex Gibbs, who has a reputation for being able to teach superior (and, some say, dirty) techniques to undersized players. But that doesn't mean Shaffer thrives only because Atlanta is the right place for him. Pay close attention to Shaffer the next time you watch the Falcons and you'll notice how quickly he gets out of his stance and to the man he needs to block. Any offensive line coach who would rather have a 340-pound mauler than Shaffer is making a serious mistake. The team that signs him will have made a major addition to its offense.

#51 JayZ750, Jan 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Could you please not come in and spam every single thread that mentions the name Vince Young? It got old 20 threads ago. Your obsession is reaching bigtexxx proportions.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Think of it like this. It's like trying to trade a good SG for an all-center center in the NBA. Along the lines of Rip Hamilton for Yao. Not happening in a million years.

Evan

14. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

McClain has been saying this for a few weeks on SportsRadio 610.

This is one guy I trust when I listen for what is going on around the league. So, not sure why we are arguing since he has already reported that:

A) Bush will declare for draft after Rose Bowl
    B) Bush has already said he has no problem going to the Texans
    C) Texans will practically say they are drafting him as soon as he declares.

Plus, scouts that McClain REALLY trusts opinions on, said that Bush could be the greatest prospect to EVER come into the league.

You take Bush. Period. Get one or two OT prospects in the 2-5 rounds, sign a nice veteran lineman, actually spend the money to get a GOOD O-line coach, and you're good to go. If Bush is all he is made out to be, that O-line (as well as everyone else on the offense) will instantly be better.

15. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will say this about John McClain, he's got some very good connections across a lot of sports. I remembered John said in December 2003 that Roger Clemens was definately signing with the Astros. He was the first and only guy I remembered making a 100% positive proclamation about Clemens. He's close to a lot of influential people.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don't forget that DD's big extension makes him that much harder to trade for a good player.

17. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Excellent. So once Bush declares, we can stop debating about this. No way we should trade this pick, no way we should draft an Olineman #1 overall and no way should we even be debating this. Thank god some of you bbs posters aren't in the front office of the Texans.

Even if Bush doesn't make us a playoff team next year, we will have direction, we will have someone to build around, a focal point. AND we will sell more tickets and that is part of it from a business standpoint. Its a win win situation.

18. twoface723

twoface723 Member

Agreed. This is, to most, the best college football player ever. How can you go wrong drafting him?

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ask Tim Couch or K. Carter and see what they say.