1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doris Burke

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Nov 23, 2019.

1. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

She's given the reputation for being a leveled and measured analyst of basketball play. Her tone is what makes her opinions sound legitimate. Breene changed his tone to match hers, and stylistically that annoyed me as if she's to be that highly regarded.

However, her analysis of the close-ups were obviously staged. After the 3rd or 4th high-definition close-up of Harden drawing a foul, I'm thinking... they planned to make this part of their analysis. From that standpoint, it's biased. Especially with Burke calling the game, they wanted it to appear that the "objective" and highly revered Doris Burke sees through Harden's trickery. "Wow he's fooling the ref. He's a wizard. Such a master at fooling the ref. There's a level of skill required to do that in such a quick play." Almost all of her comments were more insult than praise aka backhanded compliments. Don't trust her.

Speaking of "high horse", listening to her made me think she needs to get off hers.

D-rock, Reeko, Deuce and 13 others like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Burke

[Doris married Gregg Burke in 1989 and divorced in 1990. The couple remarried in 1991 and divorced again the same year.[3][4] She and her husband subsequently divorced.]

lol sounds about right, can't nobody tolerate boris for any duration

Tfor3, Jake Tower, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Member

They were barely showing replays on anything, on top of the swaying nosebleed cameras. But then they were breaking down Harden fouls like the JFK footage

Reeko, Tfor3, D-rock and 9 others like this.
  4. psaman17

psaman17 Member

I actually think she's one of the better commentators out there. She's professional, does her homework(looking at you Drex) and is mostly neutral.

And guess what guys, what she said was completely true. Harden HOOKs his defenders for FTs. We know it, you know it and the NBA knows it too. In the playoffs when everything is more scrutinized and the opposing team start sending tapes to the NBA, thats not gonna fly.

Harden HAS to STOP hooking people. Its good for a FT here and there but it has no long term value. The NBA is gonna start calling those as offensive fouls eventually.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't agree with all of Harden's antics, but can recognize most of his fouls are legit.

If Doris only speaks on the questionable calls while ignoring the credible ones she's being very unprofessional and, frankly, it's borderline defamation of character.

It's also highly unprofessional for her to ignore other players' antics while only calling-out James.

Audio wasn't available to me last night.

Tfor3, jcf, fckbandwagons and 5 others like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's exactly what she did. It's as if she intentionally scrutinized Harden's plays with several close-up slow-mo replays intended to "expose" how Harden tricked the officiating. Even if what they showed was correct, it was highly selective. The whole thing reeked agenda-drivenness. Why Harden only? There are other tricks other players use. Why didn't they show how Kawhi subtly pushes off with his off hand every time he drives?

Reeko, Tfor3, Deckard and 9 others like this.
  7. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

The level of hate for harden is at ridiculous levels.

Reeko, AroundTheWorld, Tfor3 and 4 others like this.
  8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I am ok with him keep hooking Leonard. Something makes me happy when he gets screwed over.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

To be fair, it's not all on Doris. It's mostly all on ESPN and The Crooked Media and their crooked agendas. Drain the swamp, 2020.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What Harden is doing with his "tricks" is putting up numbers unseen since Wilt, and his individual offense numbers put him off on island when you plot them against other players in the league. Maybe that's why.

Deckard and Easy like this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Tfor3, Air Yordan and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

When Steph Curry was putting up historic shooting a few years ago, he wasn't scrutinized on how the moving screens helped him.

I get it. Harden's tricks don't look as sexy. TBH, I don't like seeing him shooting free throws all the times if he wasn't winning for my team. But that's from the fans perspective. I can totally understand (and have been telling this board for a long time) why fans of other teams don't like Harden. For the sports journalists/commentators, that's unprofessional.

Houstunna likes this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Commentators are allowed to have opinions about the game and allow that to color how they commentate. Do you find JVG's complaints unprofessional?

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Stop being a b****.

Jk:p

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Then why is he making her gender the center of his rebuke?

I'm really disappointed in clutchfans here. You guys are better than this.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

True. But my issue is, Doris didn't talk both sides of the narrative.

Fouls that were obvious should've been stated as such and not ignored.

Other players who used similar tactics should've also been called-out.

It doesn't matter if a guy averaging 39 points or 9 points. Talk everything if you're gonna talk anything.

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because the guys don't find her attractive or more accurately they think she looks like a dude. It maybe mean but its a message board

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

simple and easy.

19. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Idk what she said. I had the game on mute. I assume she's no longer slobbering all over Westbrook the entire game b/c he plays for Houston now.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

With his tricks?

The Clippers, despite having some of the best perimeter defenders on their team, werent double teaming Harden as soon as he crossed the half court line because of his tricks.

They did it because he has become a lethal half court player on offense.

His ability to rise up for a 3 pointer 5+ feet from the 3 point line, his ability to create space for the step back or side step 3, his dead eye floater, or his ability to consistently finish of the glass...

...all those have more to do with him getting his offensive numbers than his "tricks". If it was the "tricks" others would be replicating it lol.

But of course the "tricks" are more of a talking point with regards to Harden.

Do yoiu seriously think if Curry was doing what Harden is doing and generating the kind of numbers he is, they would be talking about his "tricks"?

If you do, you are lying to yourself and us.

Houstunna likes this.