1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't sleep on the impact that Camby and Dalembert are having on this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Someguy1229, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

In past years when Yao went down, we had the best 6'6" center in the world to take his place. However, that was the problem. Chuck Hayes was too short to really intimidate people from driving the ball to the hoop. We had 0 shot blockers and that is why we lost some games that we could have won if we had a presence in the paint.

Now with the addition of Dalembert and Camby, we have 2 guys who can do the thing that we have lacked the most on defense in the past couple of years, block shots and intimidate opponents. They can also get rebounds that Chuck wasn't able to get and even score the occasional basket to help out the offense. They both have nice jump shots and finish very well around the rim.

Now we can hang with the likes of the Thunder, Lakers, Bulls, Spurs, and other big teams on a more consistent basis.

We probably don't have enough fire power to get to the finals or anything like that but we can at least make a bigger bang in the playoffs with those 2 guys in the middle.

Dalembert stats: 8.1 points, 7.3 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks.

Camby stats: 6.7 points, 8.9 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks.

2. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

I think you're exactly right... In all honesty I believe it's the reason we're winning so much. Yes, dragic has played well, but it all starts with our defensive bigs.

If lowry was back and opted for the 6th man role, our PG combo and our C combo would be crazy.

Imagine a second unit with lowry/dally. WTF.

3. conquistador#11

our center sammymamby had 24 pts 17 boards and 3 steals with a couple of blocked shots last night!

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Cambembert is a solid duo. I'd go to war with them for sure. When Scola is hot in the post this team is very three-dimensional. If we had an all-star post player at the 4 I think we'd be championship contenders. Right now we just have to hope Scola is having an on night and at least plays like an all-star.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Don't sleep on the impact Camby has on this team.

We would actually be better if it was Camby and Hayes. Hayes is better than Dally and it isn't even close.

6. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

Hayes has been playing rather poorly for Sacramento this year. Perhaps he relaxed after getting his big contract and would have disappointed here if he re-signed.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Morey talked about how Hayes was a good first possession defender when he could set up his defense. But it was his second team defense that hurt us. He didn't get the rebound and when the other team got the rebound they had an easier time scoring. That was his problem. That's why as a starter he was one of the worst centers in the league.

I know a lot of people or enamored with Chuck because of his effort and I am not taking anything away from that effort and heart. That was always there and always admired. But it didn't take teams long to figure out late in games crash the boards on offense and you will get extra opportunites over Scola and Hayes. Unfortunately Hayes wasn't packed with enough athleticism or size. Dalembert was better at eliminating second chance opportunities than Hayes. Not great just better than Hayes. At 6'6" with shoes and no outstanding reach or hops Hayes was never going to be a rim protector and not worth MLE money. Morey knew that and I agree.

Morey was willing to spend more money for the short term on Dally because he knew Dally was a better center overall. And he is. I do agree Camby is on a different level then both of them. But signing Hayes over Dally would have kept us outside looking in.

#7 Old Man Rock, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  8. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Dalembert much better off the bench. Most teams can't afford to have a guy that big come off the bench. We are very fortunate to have that tandem, too bad it is only temporary considering Camby is 38.

9. FadeAway_Dreams

I'd still like to have Chuck on the team but in the end having all the IQ in the world didn't make him a protector of the rim. When the defense breaks down you need someone who can alter shots. Dalembert is more effective in the 5 position. I also agree that Camby goes beyond both of them. Was thrilled when the Rockets got him.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Rockets have long sought Camby and by the way he is playing I think we can get a couple of solid years out of him -- he's a young 37 yo.

11. VBG

VBG Member

Top 10 defense before all star break with Dalembert in.

Fell to 20th with Dalembert out.

Now we have Camby and Dalembert, our defense is gonna be pretty solid.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I love Camby but the Bert fruatrates me. He makes too many stupid plays.

However when Dalembert is playing smart and with effort, he is extremely effective.

13. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

Our center position is pretty good, sure we need 1 more good center or PF tall as them like the lakers then boy we be good i wish pat-pat would play like his ex-teamates...they would be so good...and etc...hes good in 2k12 LOL..hope he bring his whole skill soon...morey and us as fansa cannot wait n loose game n needa close game out n get into playoff and win championship. But team right now we got is SOLID. imagine it was REG season.....more rest,practice...we can be even better..

14. mazinger

mazinger Member

Really? The only good thing Hayes is good at is 1 on 1 defense. Dalambert is a much superior rebounder, shotblocker and scorer than Hayes. What a center is really supposed to do. It's not even close really. Teams are now afraid to drive to the hoop.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. MONON

MONON Member

I've noticed 1 thing that hasn't been mentioned. Since Dally has started games, we're winning the opening tip about 90% of the time. That means that we start the 4th quarter with the ball, which is crutial in close games. Now we have Camby starting & we're still winning the opening tip. I was really surprised that Camby won the tip against Bynum last night. I think Camby steals the tip better than Dally though.

17. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

Camby is the MAN he Rebounds better and defense but BEAR is good as well...and can be effective if they keep puttin up 12 each points that be good...but at least we have 2 Good center we need PAt-pat get REBOUNDS n Luis hes a scorer he improve a bit but he was clutch yesterday hes money post up and his outside shot...its hard to talk down on him straight good player. K-Mart And Lowry back man I wanna see how all this goes K-Mart might come back like last season then we're good..could be his shoulder bother him when he was strugglin didnt and he isnt that much injury history this is his 2nd am i correct and pretty much same injury huh?

18. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

Dally and Camby Put em 2gether be tight i thought Mchale was going to do that...1 of Them as a PF...Sick..LOL but cant afford that unless defense only.

19. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Camby was a great pickup, a shame we didn't have him in recent years. The Dalembert/Camby combo is great for the reasons you mentioned, they are very similar players but can run out of gas, now we can play each for 20-25 minutes a night and not lose much when either goes out and the other comes in. I thought Camby might be too old now but he has been as good as you could hope for. Could be extremely important if we are to make a playoff upset or two.

20. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Erroneous, stop spreading lies. We were around 14-16 with Dalembert on the floor, lower than 20 without.