1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't give up on Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rizzy, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6475790

--

Texans shouldn't give up on QB Carr now

Adam Schein / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 3 hours ago

As fascinating as any dilemma in NFL circles this off-season is the David Carr debate in Houston.

Will the relationship with the former number one overall pick and once-upon-a-time franchise golden boy continue?

I'm going to take what appears to be an unpopular stance — I believe it would be crazy to kick Carr to the curb.

But signs do point to a realistic chance that it could be the end of the Carr era in Houston.

Owner Bob McNair was "noncommittal" on Carr's status when pressed by the Houston media last week. And that's a total change from an owner who fawned over Carr's talent for years and gave him $8 million to prove it at the end of last year.

We talked with Andre Johnson, Carr's go-to receiver, last Friday before the Pro Bowl. We tossed him an open-ended question about whether or not the Texans should keep Carr.

His response, after a legit pause, was telling.

"Well, I mean, that's something that's out of my control," Johnson said. "I get asked that question almost every day. If David's our quarterback, I'll be ready to roll with it. If it's not, we'll be ready to roll with it. That's what happens in this business. You just have to be prepared for whatever."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the signal caller.

And then this past week, Texans general manager Rick Smith said Carr was still the starter in Houston, but he did let the world know via the Houston Chronicle that clubs were inquiring about the quarterback.

Raise the antenas

When a general manager lets the news media know a player has been asked about, he is in essence telling the world that the ball player in question is available. That's called expanding the market.

And of course, the omnipresent rumors persist that the Texans will try to reunite Jake Plummer with his former offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, the coach entering his second year as the head man of Houston.

It's easy to cite Carr's horrible win-loss record, and a record 30 games under .500 jumps off the stat sheet.

It's easy to give you examples of wretched performances from games last year. That Oakland performance still makes Texans fans shake in the middle of the night. And it should. It was the single worst performance by and NFL quarterback all season.

But it is totally unfair to blame Carr for the follies in Houston since the NFL came back to the football hotbed city.

Even when McNair was "noncommittal" to Carr, he did go on to say that the Texans need help in other areas, mentioning the run game, defensive line, linebackers, and defensive backfield.

Other than that, the Texans are fine.

And that's the entire point.

For goodness sake, Carr has been sacked 249 times in five years! That's cruel and unusual punishment and would affect any quarterback.

While it would be impossible to state that Carr has been consistent by any stretch of the imagination, Houston's surrounding talent has been completely sub-par to this point.

In the aftermath of the inexcusable decision of bypassing Reggie Bush, and with the exception of Ron Dayne looking like Jim Brown against the Colts on Christmas Eve, there was simply no run game to speak of last year.

Once again, Carr had little help from his offensive line. While there was progress under the watchful eyes of Mike Sherman, the line play was spotty and impressive rookie Charles Spencer got hurt.

Other than Demeco Ryans, the defense didn't bring much to the field last year.

The reason Houston lost to hometown boy Vince Young and the Titans in the quarterback's first pro start in Houston was because of the defense and its inability to make a stop or two, not David Carr.

In talking to Carr in the second half of the season, he loved working for Kubiak. He enjoyed having a mentor at the position. Carr told me he loved the cadence of practice and the Saturday night conversations with Kubiak before games.

And wasn't part of the reason Kubiak was hired in the first place to tap into Carr's potential?

I don't think you can trade or cut Carr after just one season drinking the Kubiak Kool-Aid.

And let's be fair here — Carr went 3-1 last year against the top two teams in the division, the Super Bowl Champion Colts and the Jaguars.

I really think the six-win Texans are closer to eight wins than four. I think they can achieve that number and continue to make progress with continuity.

Carr has always enjoyed a charmed existence, ranging from football as a youngster to Fresno State to being the number one overall pick.

What I would do is challenge him.

Tell Carr, and the world, that you are having an open competition at the QB position. Let Sage Rosenfels compete. Bring in Plummer if you want. And he can compete, too.

But trading Carr for little or nothing in return makes no sense when you realize his talent and what the team has put into him. And I think if he played behind the great left side of the offensive line in Minnesota, he could excel. Or if he went home to Oakland, he might put up big numbers for a year keeping the seat warm for the top pick.

You could make the case Carr really needs a change of scenery.

But I'd make the case that I'd want him to compete in Houston and work for Kubiak one more year.

That's why you hired the coach, right?

Adam Schein hosts the Afternoon Blitz on Sirius NFL Radio with Solomon Wilcots and Jim Miller from 3-7 ET. Schein is the NFL insider for Sports Net New York. His "Scheintology" columns appear daily and his video NFL picks video reports appear every Friday on FOXSports.com. E-mail him at aschein@siriusradio.com

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

AJ's quote in the article -

We talked with Andre Johnson, Carr's go-to receiver, last Friday before the Pro Bowl. We tossed him an open-ended question about whether or not the Texans should keep Carr.

His response, after a legit pause, was telling.

"Well, I mean, that's something that's out of my control," Johnson said. "I get asked that question almost every day. If David's our quarterback, I'll be ready to roll with it. If it's not, we'll be ready to roll with it. That's what happens in this business. You just have to be prepared for whatever."

He doesn't seem to confident about his QB.

3. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Sisyphus, thy kinfolk require another attempt.

sure he'll roll that rock up the hill this time ... :rolleyes:

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Whoever wrote this is officially an idiot

5. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

weve given him enough time

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a small town girl, livin in a lonely world
    She took the midnight train goin anywhere
    Just a city boy, born and raised in south detroit
    He took the midnight train goin anywhere

A singer in a smokey room
    A smell of wine and cheap perfume
    For a smile they can share the night
    It goes on and on and on and on

Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard
    Their shadows searching in the night
    Streetlight people, living just to find emotion
    Hiding, somewhere in the night

Working hard to get my fill,
    Everybody wants a thrill
    Payin anything to roll the dice,
    Just one more time
    Some will win, some will lose
    Some were born to sing the blues
    Oh, the movie never ends
    It goes on and on and on and on

(chorus)

Dont stop believin
    Hold on to the feelin
    Streetlight people

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Don't trade Carr!!!! It would ruin my 2007 fall weekends.

I get my football fix watching my Longhorns on Saturdays and my comedy on Sundays watching the Texans and Carr. Getting rid of Carr would be like pulling Lawrence Olivier out of a Richard III performanace. It ruins the whole show.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Carr to the city of Houston:

I can't light no more of your darkness
    All my pictures seem to fade to black and white
    I'm growing tired and time stands still before me
    Frozen here on the ladder of my life

Too late to save myself from falling
    I took a chance and changed your way of life
    But you misread my meaning when I met you
    Closed the door and left me blinded by the light

Don't let the sun go down on me
    Although I search myself, it's always someone else I see
    I'd just allow a fragment of your life to wander free
    But losing everything is like the sun going down on me

I can't find, oh the right romantic line
    But see me once and see the way I feel
    Don't discard me just because you think I mean you harm
    But these cuts I have they need love to help them heal

9. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Ya, 5 years wasn't enough. One more year! One more year! Onemore Year! :rolleyes:

10. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Laurence Olivier...

11. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Funny post. Though I prefer to get my comedy fix from comedy central or at a night at the improv. Going to see Tommy "hey man, where's the brownies" Chong this next weekend. :D

In all seriousness, the Raiders were ludicrously hilarious to watch. Under offensive ineptitude should be a complete picture of all offensive offenders on the 2006 roster. That being said, the Texans were creative and brutal at the same time how they imploded in several games. I still can't believe how we had to beat the Raiders, don't throw the damn ball!

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for your signal caller when you have to win in spite of him. :rolleyes:

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Not the thread, one star that article.

13. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

HAHAHA YOU KIDDING ME???

We should have gotten rid of his sorry ass back in 03'

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that, and according to John McLain, he spent the weekend with VY talking about how great it would be if they could FINALLY hook up for a completion on the field.

15. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Did you see that 47 pass from VY to AJ? What could have been.

16. updawg

updawg Member

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I love it when people write articles having not seen a minute of footage. It takes me back to High School English and writing papers on books I hadn't read.

Evan

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i have a policy against watching the Pro Bowl. so, no. But McLain said that AJ and VY were inseparable all week...and were talking a bunch about how Houston would react if they connected for a TD in the Pro Bowl.

19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

It sounded like the typical "The NFL is a business" response.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you must be kidding.