1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't forget the real Ty Lawson can play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 22, 2015.

?

Ty Lawson isn' Ty Lawson now because

1. Daryl Morey

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. James Harden

45 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. James Harden dating Khloe Kardasian

46 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. KDZ

KDZ Member

Meaningless.
    Not in rockets uniform

1 person likes this.
  2. MD_in_Training

How has he been on a steady decline? His last two years were the best of his career.
    Sure, PGs may drop off a bit in the late 20s and early 30s, but there's a big difference between a slow decline and a precipitous dropoff that we are seeing with Ty. In the right system, he can still produce at a high rate.

3. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Steady decline really? I'm pretty sure his "decline has more to do with the different system the Nuggets were running in the beginning of his career with him versus near the end. Not to mention his "off court issues" he was dealing with may have played a part (no matter how little or small).

Lawson just finished his case and plead GUILTY to his DUI charge back in Denver a few days ago. http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-pleads-guilty-charges-drunken-driving-arrest

If Lawson has any chance to improve during his time as a Rocket he's going to need to be more aggressive with the ball in attempts to create for others better. Harden needs to play off the ball more. This is how the Thunder make it work with Westbrook and Durant. Don't give me the excuse that taking the ball out of Harden's hands takes away one of his biggest talents away.

Harden's best undeniable attribute that he does exceptionally well is scoring the ball. Giving him the ball too often in hopes that he always creates for others starts this down whirl spiral of stagnant offense that the Rockets (and other teams with one great player) have been used to since the tenures of Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady.

Keep Lawson coming off the bench, especially once Beverley comes back healthy (which should be soon). Maybe Lawson coming off the bench gives him the proper motivation he needs to start playing like he's capable of. Normally when you aren't able to get good offensive production from your starting 5 players good/great teams typically turn to their bench for some help. This hasn't been the case with the Rockets this year, let alone for the past few seasons.

4. malakas

malakas Member

Shooting wise he has for years.same for defence ( not that it was good to begin with). Plus last year he was a disaster if u see beyond the raw stats to what record he lead his team in and what he caused behind the scenes.
    Some times pgs reach a point that all fall apart when their speed isnt enough and they get scared to attack. Peak early pgs.

If u make him the main guy of the team sure he will get good stats. And his team will lose.

5. malakas

malakas Member

If he keeps this perfomance by february then it can be attributed to decline and not system. Hes the right kind of pg and the right age too.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Will the real Ty Lawson please stand up?
    I repeat, WILL the real Ty Lawson please stand up?
    We're gonna have a problem here...

Yall act like you've never seen a point guard before.

1 person likes this.
  7. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

But Harden is way more versatile as an offensive weapon. He played off-ball in OKC and was elite doing it. If you want to maximize the potential of the offense, then Lawson should be bringing up the ball and Harden should be playing off-ball. Harden is far more lethal off-ball than Lawson. Besides, Lawson is borderline elite at playing on-ball.

8. tommyandrews

tommyandrews Member

I am extremely confused. Ty Lawson in Denver and Ty Lawson in Houston are both the REAL Ty Lawson. Another REAL thing is Ty Lawson does NOT fit with the Rockets system or lack thereof until the system is overhauled. Until then, he is dead weight to us. His points and assists in Denver is NOT going to help the Rockets NOW.

Any of us can start a thread of the REAL Hakeem playing in his peak days, but does that mean we should be playing him NOW? This is how stupid this thread is.

9. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

He WAS good. Guys like Gilbert Arenas and Deron Williams looked like the best point guard in the league but all of sudden they regressed significantly as well. So you never know Ty will follow similar trend considering his drinking problem. Hope I am wrong though.

10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

don't forget tinmac's threads are trash

11. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I agree with your point, but it seems not so easy to implement.

Theoretically a 100% utilized Lawson + 75% utilized Harden should be what you get if put Harden off the ball and Lawson as the primary ball handler. That's much better than vice versa which would be like a 0% utilized Lawson and 100% utilized Harden.

However this season it seems like Harden has been particularly bad off the ball. As if he completely forgot what it was like when he played at OKC or even one summer ago for team USA. It's funny because Melo also had the same problem where he was an elite catch and shoot kind of guy on team USA and then couldn't shoot with holding the ball or taking a dribble on the Knicks.

12. Handles

Handles Member

Admittedly, I didn't see TOO much of harden in okc, but when I did watch it seemed like he was mostly handling the rock when he was in. Not every play, but mostly. Pretty sure that's a big reason they had him coming off the bench.

Totally agree that Harden is more lethal off the ball, regardless. No lie, I bet even I could be more lethal than Lawson right now haha. But I'm really hoping Lawson can learn because in reality, he is never going to have the same role here that he did in Denver. He needs to learn to be effective without the rock. In my opinion, that would maximize the effectiveness of the offense, not Harden off ball. I'd rather cater to harden's talents than Lawson's.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was a huge mistake to bring him off the bench. We aren't playing much better, and we have sacrificed the time that these guys could have been on the court gaining valuable chemistry, which sometimes takes months/years to develop. Play them both 40 minutes a night until they figure it out, everything else be damned.

14. sun12

sun12 Member

The real answer:

Harden is like Jordan, Kobe, Iverson, ball dominant offensively, the perfect fit would be Ron Harper, Derek Fisher, Eric Snow type PG. Steady, defensive PG who can make the three pointer.

Why would Morey bring in Lawson? Very bad fit, he should know it. it is a very bad move. Looks like he does now know the NBA history.

15. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He played pretty good against the Thunder. He was more aggressive with James then. Lately he's been struggling, I'm not sure coming off the bench is the right thing for him and this team. Him and James have to work out their chemistry. The ball has been moving well since JB took over, I'm sure Ty can pass better than Jason Terry. Jason has shot well but his turnovers are infuriating.

16. Handles

Handles Member

Exactly. Ty's thunder game is exactly what we need from him. That game gives me hope that he'll figure it out.

17. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Why are all of us thinking about the Rockets right now? The players aren't. The coaches aren't. The only group that is still interested isn't getting paid any. Just let the guys show up for 48 minutes and collect their paychecks in peace already.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sad but true.

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

The reason Morey brought in Lawson is because we were severely lacking a second playmaker/scorer in last year's playoffs. Our offense was all Harden. Unfortunately, a second playmaker has a hard time playing without the ball next to Harden.

Harden is like you pointed out, more of the Kobe mold, who needs a superstar big man, rather than another ball-dominant guard. It's a tough situation for us because we REALLY need that extra playmaker in the playoffs.

20. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Watch the Miami game you will enjoy it.