1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't Forget How We Destroyed Iraq. No Victory There

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Dec 15, 2011.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well there is a lot of self congratulations and rewriting of history to try to pretend that the Iraq War was over all good for the Iraqis andnot the despicable disaster for both them and us. America the good triumphs after all. I have seen a series of ABC Nightly News stories trying to put a happy spin on it.

Occasionally there is a less than happy spin article on the rehab of American vets or the tribulation for their families-- the 1-2% who bore the brunt on our side from this cluster**ck. That is about as far as it goes Ocassionally a story about eye surgeons or plastic surgeons donating their time to help out an Iraqi kid victimized by our war

We need to not let the media whitewash our crime.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/12/...hanged-lives-of-6.html#storylink=omni_popular

Here is an interesting article talking about the lives of six relatively well off Iraqis and the devastation to their families. An actual real sort of human interest approach to the deaths and disruptions we caused to millions of Iraqis. Amazing as it treats at the six of them like Americans or Israelis
    would be treated.

Hannah Allam McClatchy Newspapers
    CAIRO — On June 28, 2004, the day the U.S.-led occupation authority in Iraq officially was dissolved, our Baghdad news bureau held a staff dinner to mark the beginning of the country's path to self-determination and democracy.

A photo of the modest party and our serious faces reflected our concerns that the tensions coursing through Iraqi streets didn’t match the rosy predictions for the country’s future that were coming from Washington.

Even so, Iraqi and American staff members toasted, “Long live Iraq!” and had a chocolate cake from the bakery in our hotel. After filing our reports, we piled on couches to watch TV channels replay the swearing-in of Iraq’s new interim premier, Ayad Allawi.

More than seven years later, with U.S. troops almost gone from Iraq ahead of the Dec. 31 withdrawal deadline, these are the fates of the six Iraqi staffers in that photo: One is dead, one is an amputee, one was internally displaced and the others are refugees in Sweden, Australia and the United States.

Just one still lives in Iraq, and he was forced to move to a different neighborhood after a double car bombing in January 2010 left his house in ruins. The same blasts partially demolished the hotel where the picture was taken and killed a friendly young worker in the bakery where we’d ordered the cake.

The postscripts to that photo encapsulate the ruinous aftermath of the U.S.-led invasion, which set off years of sectarian warfare and political paralysis that have touched the lives of virtually all of Iraq’s more than 30 million citizens.

The mostly tragic fates of the bright, enthusiastic Iraqis who worked for our bureau capture the story of post-invasion Iraq. Besides the staff members pictured, at least a dozen other Iraqi men and women from all ethnic and sectarian backgrounds have helped us as drivers, translators, reporters, cooks and cleaners. None has a post-invasion story with a happy ending.
    Some 2 million Iraqis have fled the country as refugees since 2003, according to international rights groups; few have returned. Those who stayed faced internal displacement, especially at the height of the civil war in 2006 and 2007, and a barrage of assassinations, bombings and sectarian clashes that continues in spurts today

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/12/...f-6.html#storylink=omni_popular#ixzz1gev3kfUT

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Would be better off with Saddam still there.

And Hitler in Germany.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

lol. A powerful rebuttal. We're better than Saddam and Hitler.

Well, that makes me feel better.

4. Mr. Clutch

Well, that was a point I wasn't even considering. I was comparing current Iraq (without an American presence) vs American occupied Iraq.

Maybe we are worse?

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Saddam wasn't a good guy, but is the country any better off. There still a bunch of suicide bombers, and corrupt ass government. When we leave what is going to stop another corrupt ass dictator taking over?

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I could understand this argument better if it wasn't for the Hitler reference. That non-sequitor reeks of a sarcastic play to compare our mess with some hypothetical "worst case".

7. Mr. Clutch

Well what's a D&D thread without a Hitler reference

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

These people are going to remember what we did to their country.
    When the balance of power eventually shifts and the Middle East becomes a reigning force, then we are ****ed beyond all measure.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why do you think that would ever happen?

10. RedRedemption

History has seen the rise and fall of empires and nations over time.
    I'd be inclined to believe that maybe we halted that trend... but I just don't want to be naive about that.
    Just a rogue possibility.

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

While i think the whitewashing is not surprising in the context you portray, I think it's also a context of respect for lives given to the cause, that there was a purpose and facilitation that had some amount of nobility and that it should be recognized that many gave their lives for that. Not so much "Yeah, you can thank us later, lucky we came when we did, America, $#!@@ yeah."

12. Mr. Clutch

It's also possible that we become good friends in the future.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The Middle East is not particularly strong economically or technologically, the level of education is far behind the Western world, not to speak of where they stand in terms of cultural development or morals. Corruption is a big problem there, as is internal conflict. Freedom of religion and freedom of the media are not really there.

If not for the oil money, they would be even further behind.

What makes you think they could possibly rule the world anytime soon?

14. Apps

Apps Member

1,000 years ago, the possibility of Europe rising to being the cultural and economical center of the world would've been a laughable notion to any empire along the Silk Road, e.g. China, India, the Middle East.

This statement of yours leads me to believe that you don't think the Middle East ever rising to a global power is at all a plausible or feasible notion.

I'm sure we all think of Western domination and Democracy/Capitalism as being the "showstopper" as it were, but the deterministic force of history is beyond our microscopic view of what our contexts and eras are driving at.

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

"The end of our empire, if end it should, does not frighten us: a rival empire like Lacedaemon, even if Lacedaemon was our real antagonist, is not so terrible to the vanquished as subjects who by themselves attack and overpower their rulers."

The countries on the outskirts of Middle East, Iran, Turkey, and Egypt in that order are the countries that will have real influence in the Middle East in the forseeable future. But it will only be regional, and to think that they will surpass the Western world is simply ridiculous.

As for the OP: Iraq was a mistake, and I'm glad it's over. But people still make the wrong mistakes about it, and so it's sad - I pity and mourn those Americans who lost their lives so a bunch of Arabs can play democracy for another 20 years before they select another thug. That is what a war for humanitarianism, for junk like waging a war to end all wars or for some neoconservative delusion about democracy gets you. War is the deadliest tool, and America should only wield it for the sake of America. Nothing else.

16. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Let's go back 70 years shall we?

I do wonder, what indeed.

17. RedRedemption

I'm not arguing with you that the idea of the Middle East rising to become a new powerhouse is improbably, it certainly is. However, it is internal ****ups in already established powerhouses that usually end up shifting the balance of power globally.

Just want to wary of all possible consequences.

18. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Sure. In a 1000 years from now the Middle East could take control. But I don't really think that the US should be making decisions based on what could or could not happen a thousands years from now. I don't care what the world looks like a thousand years from now, as long as humans are still alive. Preferably America rules the world, but it's not something to lose sleep about. And frankly, I don't really think the Middle Easterners 1000 years from now will care, anymore than Northern Europeans in 1300 gave a crap about the fact that the Romans ruled them for hundreds of years.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think we might have, but only because we got a whole hemisphere to work with and Brits learned how to bank right before we got here. And we figured out mass communication, a bunch of physics, and advertising while everyone else was learning totalitarianism.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am not saying it is never possible, but if you concern yourself with the reasons for economic success in East Asia and look at the current situation in the Middle East, you will quickly see that you are looking at two vastly different situations.