1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Done Deal: Nikola Mirotic to Pelicans for Omer Asik + 1st round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jan 30, 2018.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I love how every transaction in the NBA turns into here on Clutchfans as "wow looks like a deal Morey would jump on" or "this must mean Morey is in on the trade now" or "wow wonder what Morey has up his sleeve now that this trade is off."

Don't get me wrong, I love the Rockets but y'all do realize there are other teams in the NBA that make transactions that have nothing to do with us right?

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Nope

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mirotic not heading Houston?!

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

When you say "other teams in the NBA" are you referring to "Daryl Morey trade partners" or what exactly?

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  5. thething

thething Contributing Member

I could see some iteration of a Ryno for Asik deal. Asik will basically be an expiring after this season and will become an interesting trade chip, even though he provides zero value as a player.

Though the only way I see this happening is if we have something lined up in the buyout market to replace Ryno in the rotation.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Vivi and mikol13 like this.
  7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Vivi likes this.
  8. justtxyank

Right that's the catch isn't it? Ryno, despite all of his issues this year, still has games where he's helpful and he fills minutes at the 4 and 5.

Nook likes this.
  9. justtxyank

Underrated part of this story:

What does it say about the upcoming free agent market that Mirotic wants his one year $12.5 guaranteed as part of a trade? He's playing GREAT and still doesn't want to enter unrestricted free agency?

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ryno, a 1st, and a 2nd for Mirotic and Cam Payne?

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Precisely

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think we would've to add more value, Pelicans pick is way better than our own while Asik contract is less of a brick than Ryan contract, not even sure we have that kind of value to add...Troy, Nanu, Hartenstein, Zhou...eh...

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

True. Also though, I think it said he loses his Bird Rights if he opts out. I don't know how much that plays a role.

The thing I took away from it is New Orleans doesn't want that on their books. So good luck getting Ryan Anderson in that discussion.

don grahamleone and malakas like this.
  14. mightybosstone

In my defense, when I brought it up, I was only half serious. I would love Mirotic in Houston as a Ryno replacement, but I don't think there's a chance in hell that Morey actually swoops in and makes that deal. But, if anything, this gives me hope that Ryno could be dealt. If the Bulls are willing to eat Asik's contract AND deal one of their best young players just to get a first rounder, then someone out there could be willing to eat Ryno's contract for two future firsts.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. justtxyank

1) His bird rights wouldn't matter if he thought someone out there would want to pay him. He pretty clearly has concerns about being unrestricted this upcoming offseason. I think he's right to have that concern as well. I don't think dollars are going to be flying.
    2) Yeah for sure, New Orleans isn't going to take Ryno. No chance. Maybe a team like Chicago with multiple years ahead of them where they shouldn't expect to be free agent players, but that's it.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Knowing Mirotic I have the suspicion that it's equally part his agent knowing the summer market and equal part him wanting to slack off in the summer.
    If he is to be a free agent again he would have to be in top shape, work out and so on..that's really too much of a bother~

justtxyank likes this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

Everyone says that Chicago shouldn't expect free agents and so but they can be a player in RFA with their humongous capspace.
    There are rumours they are about to offer the max to Parker. Who knows if they want to go after Capela or smth too.

Their capspace is dangerous and I hope they waste it!

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

true

Would Ryno, a 1st, a 2nd, and Troy be close in value to Asik and a 1st? Payne is just a throw in.

Chicago gets rid of 2 players they don’t want for 2 mediocre picks, Troy, and 2 more years of Ryno.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think not unfortunately...obviously we don't know the details about the Pelicans pick yet, but assuming it's not protected outside of maybe top 8/10, that pick has a great chance to fall in the 12/18 range (i don't trust the Pelicans at all to be that competitive without Boogie) which would be way better than the 28/29 they would get by us, i mean, that's a lot of value right there.

Reeko likes this.
  20. justtxyank

No, that wouldn't be equal value.

The only chance (and it's slim) that I see would be us being the one that takes the Asik deal and other worthless deals in exchange for Chicago taking Ryno.

Basically we'd be paying them some picks to bite the pillow a little harder and take Ryno back instead of Asik. They'd still get the first from New Orleans.

Reeko likes this.