1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Done Deal: Nikola Mirotic to Pelicans for Omer Asik + 1st round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Vivi likes this.
  2. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

OH HOW I WISH WE COULD GET HIM.

We could use him on the court and also his salary for trades next year if he picks up his option.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I did not realize that Omer Asik is "only" guaranteed $3 million in 2019-20. If I'm not mistaken, that makes his contract worth around $12M annually in a trade but a team could get out of it in that year for around $3M. Granted, that doesn't make it too sexy until a year or so passes, but still ... I wonder if Daryl looks at that as "interesting".

don grahamleone and Nook like this.
  4. mightybosstone

This is Morey's chance. I have no idea how he pulls it off, but a Ryno for Mirotic swap no longer sounds impossible. It's still insanely unlikely, but if Chicago is willing to eat Asik's contract for one first, maybe they'll eat Ryno's contract for two future firsts and some second rounders?

5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Laughed at......

Reeko, Zboy, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

What drama. LMAO
    Mirotic refusal makes the Bulls bargaining position even weaker.
    I thought they would have done pretty good with the Asik trade but now Mirotic could possibly fetch even less in the following days.

Nook likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yep. That $3 million guaranteed number makes Asik a lot more attractive than Ryno. Next year he's basically an expiring.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't see how that can happen, the Bulls are willing to eat Asik contract cause it's basically half of Ryan contract, granted, Asik looks also done, but they won't play him anyway. Also, NOLA pick will still be way better than our own so...don't get your hopes up.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Mirotic is one of the most disliked players in the league by his own teammates.

Zboy, BigMaloe and malakas like this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

If they Rockets would somehow offer 2 firsts then Anderson would already have been traded.

I read the new list of the worst contracts in the league from realgm yesterday and surprisingly though Anderson wasnt in there.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Mirotic should take that deal! He has a chance to be a starting next to AD and with the Clippers quiting on this season, they should make the play-offs.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. mightybosstone

Maybe they just forgot him? I can't imagine any list of worst contracts in the league without Ryno's name it given how pedestrian he's been this season. I mean, there are a lot of guys doing next to nothing and making $10 million+ this season, but how many guys are below average starters at their positions and making $20 million a year?

14. justtxyank

Throw some 2nds in to sweeten the pot for the Bulls. Bulls get the Pels first and multiple seconds from us:
    [​IMG]

The Pels could even dump another contract on us if they want (one of their smaller ones or Ajinca) to give themselves more breathing room under the tax.

For us we don't really get anything worthwhile except we clear Anderson and improve our own space under the tax to pursue buyouts.

In the offseason if we could make a deal work with Cleveland for Lebron we could do it with Asik/Tucker/Troy/Onuaku plus our first round picks.

thething likes this.
  15. justtxyank

This season is basically over when evaluating worst contracts, so Ryno is basically a two year $41.5 million dollar deal. It's not a good contract but it's not long. I'd be surprised if any of the "worst contracts" on the list include someone who is actually playing serious minutes with a deal of two years or less after this season.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Nah they don't forget him. These guys are the real cap nerds.
    They really thought he has better value than other 10.
    Here's the list
    https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/248750/The-10-Least-Tradable-NBA-Contracts-Of-2018

Batum, Mahinmi, Gallinari, Mozgov, Asik, Conley, Noah, Parsons, Deng were the names of the list.

So supposedly Rhyno has better trade value than Asik according to some trade experts or whatever.

BigMaloe and Vivi like this.
  17. justtxyank

Big points on the list:
    1) Longer deals than Anderson
    OR
    2) Similar length deals but don't play

Vivi and malakas like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. malakas

malakas Member

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Interesting, thanks for posting this.

Damn it's really strange (somehow) to see Batum there...he's such a good basketball player and was playing great basketball when he got traded to Charlotte, i wonder if he should've had surgery for his elbow instead of playing on it, or he's just pulling a Turkoglu after getting paid like some people were expecting...

don grahamleone and malakas like this.