1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

D-Mo hasn't earned the right to have a big ego, but more importantly he seems like a sharp guy. If you look at it pragmatically this is really for the best. Weaker opponents, less Dwight, more touches, and just as many minutes.

2. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

Ego has nothing to do with it, he's worked hard to get in this spot and they've essentially pulled the rug out from under him by telling Smith before he gets here the job is his. A great PF, I'd say tough DMo, Smith isn't a great PF though.
    DMo will not average 30 minutes a game. Smith better become the 2nd coming of Thorpe because otherwise my guess is they just lost DMo for the long term. And no, I'm not necessarily against the move, I just hope they were smart enough to talk to him first.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

D-Mo will still get 25-35 minutes every night. If not starting damages his psyche that much then he's too mentally weak to ever be special.

I have faith in D-mo, I've been on his bandwagon since we drafted him. This is gonna work out well for him and the team, I can feel it.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-Mo will request a trade again. :eek::p

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Don't start! :p

6. cruwinas_lawona

Checked Smith stats for the season - not good:

'14-'15

28 28 32.0 5.5-14.0 .391 0.3-1.3 .243 1.9-4.0 .468 1.9 5.4 7.2 4.7 1.7 1.3 2.9 2.6 13.1

Not good good.

I f he is brought for the defensive purposes (don't know how good they are) - that's allright. Just sad to delegate DMo to bench - he was doing pretty well lately.

7. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

This assessment really isn't fair as he's not the only top GM on a top team that's actually doing this. There will be over 20 teams with cap space (most with major cap space) in the years leading up to the new salary cap, and unless it's a huge signing (max level) it may not be worth it to be locked down.

Harden and Howard will def. be playing at a very high level at that point, and if we keep our flexibility and the salary cap is favorable, we could be looking for multiple rings not just possibly 1. There's a reason really good teams are very hesitant right now to sign long term deals, even for good players.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

DMo will still have consistent PT for now. Black and/or Dorsey will either be gone or be the 12th man on the bench. What will be interesting is when Terrence Jones is back.

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

dmo wasn't getting any post looks with howard in the same lineup. at least with second unit he will get all the looks. he may also be unloaded come february if other moves are made

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

You people and your F'ing stats.....

Stats... DON'T TELL THE WHOLE STORY!!

T_Man

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

He's not going to get all the looks in the second unit. They don't play that way. And Harden is the only one who passes to him in the post. I think this is the biggest fallacy being thrown around since the Smith signing.

We shall see.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Are ginobli fans as sad as you?

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I agree with this assessment completely. D-Mo will not get 30 mins a game and anyone who thinks that is delusional. He'll be lucky to get 20.

Josh Smith better be special because we did likely just lose our potential second option for the future.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Dmo should be assertive, fight for position, and demand the ball

Shved, terry, brewer, papa are all willing passers

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

But eventually (or #SOON) J. Smith will also have to EARN his minutes. Once we sign him--even if we promised him the starting job--doesn't mean the Rockets can't also bench him for the majority of the game. Smith has to still be productive and not hurt the team chemistry. If they aren't performing as well, sit him and play DMO more--I don't see why that wouldn't happen.

In addition, with all the new assets (Brewer, DMO on bench, KPAP healthy again) we can significantly reduce Dwight, Harden and Ariza's minutes. They were playing so many minutes before because the bench was weak. Now that it is a strength, I'd be shocked to see Harden play more than 38-40 a game, Dwight 30-33 a game, and Ariza 32-35...should free up significant minutes for DMO at the 4 AND 5, and give enough burn for K-PAP, Brewer, and Terry...

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

He does get his position. Then the guard (whoever it may be) ignores him and makes some wonky play or jacks up a 3. Bev plays a lot with the second unit at the beginning of the second quarter and this happens almost exclusively.

Terry perhaps. Papa won't be getting minutes so that's a moot point. Brewer and Shved are unknowns on this team but I'd be inclined to agree with you.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dmo has taken a lighter role when Smith is playing.

I am not sure about his future. Hope he responds

18. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

lol 1 game.

19. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

There has been no practice to integrate everyone.

KMac will sort it all out and in a couple weeks he will be around 10 shots a game, which is where he should fall into.

He touched the ball and made great passes, doesn't always need to shoot.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Dmo needs to demand the ball when they have Tayshaun Prince guarding him. He should have abused him over and over.