1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. JuckTheFazz!

JuckTheFazz! Rookie

D-Mo or Giannis in fantasy? I got D-Mo right now and would've to spend my no.1 waiver on Giannis.

2. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

i would rather have 2 easy pts than personal foul....always 24/7...his ineptnes around the rim kills our flow and momentum... and theres no stat in the world to measure momentum...the basketball is a game of momentum and streaks...

3. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

DMo is our biggest acquisition this season...i like brewer and shved a lot but DMO is huge...hes perhaps that mythical 3rd star...

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've seen a disturbing trend in the last 2 games of us once again going away from D-mo in the post while he drifts out to the perimeter. I just really don't like Dwight getting 3x the post touches D-mo does. People say D-mo doesn't command a double team, its because we don't force it. If D-mo works a guy over we should go back to it, but we rarely do.

I'm not panicking because that NO game was a tough one. A career high 42 minutes played in Denver of all places, then have to fly back to Houston and play probably the longest front court in the NBA the next evening. D-mo clearly didn't have it, and that's an extremely hard team to post up to begin with.

What happens tonight could put me completely at ease, or make me extremely concerned that D-mo in the post is gonna go back to being a little used weapon.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Dwight should swallow his pride and play the elite garbage man that he is.. Finisher at the rim, shot blocker, rebounder, and putbacks (if legal).

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Plus practice fts and set solid picks

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He's got an insecurity issue and doesn't know he's the best in the league when you compile all those other components of his game. If he would let Dmo be the primary post up player it would be great. With Dwight's knee issue he doesn't have the ability to make the quick cuts to the basket in traffic...

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Ummm, last season DMO was a complete and total foul machine and would have done the same in playoffs. Light bulb for DMO just went on a month or so ago.

9. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

I've seen it to its disturbing.One of the major reasons that power forwards always abuse us is because they never have to play defense.The strategy last night should have been to force Davis to bang with Dmo in the post repeatedly.Who cares if he misses a couple of shots.If he plays him straight up eventually Dmo will figure him out.Davis is long but Dmo is bigger and smart on the block.Tonight against Milsap the Rockets would be fools not to post up Dmo 15 to 20 times.Milsap is tiny compared to Dmo.

10. kemah

kemah Member

lol

People seem to forget this. Also he was one of the worst finishers. It was so frustrating to watch him do these beautiful post moves and then the ball never go in the basket. He was a bad defender and just a liability on the floor. He was pretty much a bust. Whatever happened to get him to finally play the way he is seems to be more of a miracle than anything else.

Also right now he can't break a double team. It really isn't his fault as it takes time and practice and other team mates to do it. If Howard is not there and he gets double teamed then we are screwed inside.

Morey not getting that top tier proven big PF means that Dmo has about 2 months to show that he can be that guy. We have some teams coming where Dmo can show us.

11. basketballholic

Light bulb went on magically when DMo got consistent playing time. DMo would not have been worse than Terrence was against Portland. Terrence was the worst player by far on the court playing for the Rox in that series.

12. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

I was really worried about this when Howard came back and mentioned it earlier in this thread that McHale better not be regress in his coaching and idiotically go back to posting up Dwight and relegating Dmo to a few touches and hanging out around the perimeter and BANG the last 2 game that is exactly what has happened... Just when I thought McHale had finally figured out how to coach he goes and supplicates to Howard's ego...

13. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Call BS. Dmo was sucking back then and should have never seen the floor as he was a detriment.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't a miracle, it was just consistent playing time. This season he's settled down with his post moves and is finishing them better and he's not getting called for some of the ridiculous ticky tack fouls he was getting called for last season. When someone starts getting a reputation for being a good defender, they get away with more. Fundamentally he's a bit less aggressive on defense this season, but there's not much of a difference between now and when he was a "foul machine".

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He was sucking this year too, and then after he got into a comfort zone he played better.

If he had been given consistent run last year he would have gotten into a comfort zone too, but he never was given that. Nor was he given a chance to do what he does best (post up) in the few minutes he did have.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

He did get minutes before you act like he was always benched

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"consistent" is the important word here. Sure he got some minutes every now and again, but they weren't consistent, he'd sometimes go weeks between games rather than just using him for say 10 minutes a game, every game. Consistency of playing time matters when you are looking to get consistent play especially when someone is trying to make the adjustment from Euro ball to NBA basketball. Anyway, it doesn't matter now.

18. basketballholic

That's no bs right there. Not to mention after all those minutes Terrence got to break out and get in a groove he was the WORST player on the floor for us in the playoffs....by far.

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

BHollic you lost all credibility saying you wouldn't even trade DMO for LaMarcus Aldridge the other day. So come on. DMO was a foul waiting to happen last season. Keep it real.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was just a really bad matchup and he's never been a defender. You can't put a tweener forward against LMA, it just doesn't work.