1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yep many posters were saying the same. I'm starting to think that maybe Morey knows better than some of us clutchfan-ers... :)

2. baubo

baubo Member

The weird thing is, DMo looked pretty mediocre at the World Cup. And he was simply "ok" before Howard went out. It just goes to show you much confidence plays a part in success. Last year even when DMo got the ball in the post, he'd just rush up a bad shot.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am really happy for him. Guy struggled so long and never did much with the opportunities he had. Credit McHale for keeping him in the rotation for so long. Guess they believed in him.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Umm, no

If McHale "believed" in him he would have gotten a chance to guard Aldridge in the playoffs last year. I think Morey believed in him, but McHale was merely forced to give him an extended look because he had zero options left.

Many of us have been screaming for minutes and post attempts, because that was obviously what he was good at, but McHale refused. A large part of the reason he was so bad was because he was given limited minutes to do something (shoot) that he was terrible at. He was constantly paranoid about getting benched.

5. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

even the last night dmo has been forced to do something hes not good at and denied to do what hie is best at throughout the major part of the game.....luckily those couple of 3pts were good...

6. omgTHEpotential

They were flat out ignoring DMo and force feeding Dwight with post-up touches. That was ridiculously bad coaching. I don't think DMo even had one post-up opportunity in the second half (minus the overtime).

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

His jump hook is really more of a 1 handed turnaround because he almost squares up to the basket.

8. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

either bad coaching or perhaps they think more long term and want to get howard postups going because hes rusty due to his injury related absence...

9. omgTHEpotential

I think he should think about using hooks for his free-throw shooting. That might raise his FT percentage into 70s.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I know Howard isn't great at finishing on post ups, but it has a side benefit. He causes teams to foul and get into the penalty which prevents them from playing aggressive defense at end of quarters. Between Howard and Harden, we are almost always in the penalty at the end of quarters.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm really happy he's developing. He's such a special player with his height, quickness and post skills.

In the last 12 games Dmo has averaged 16 points, 7 rebounds, 1.5 assists shooting over 50%

Reminds me of someone else's 3rd year stats....
    16 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2 assist shooting over 50% - Luis Scola

12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

"Are you not entertained?! Is that not why you are heeeeerrre?!"

13. dje243

dje243 Member

Really... a lot of this is going to be DMO asserting himself and demanding the ball in the post. He knows what he can do down there, and so does the coaching staff and the rest of the team. If Dwight wants post touches, he should earn them by making his shots and FT's. I say feed Dwight a couple of times early and see if he gets anything going. If not, we go to the sure thing. The coaching staff has to sell it this way. We'll feed you the ball in the post, if you can prove that you're a better option in the post than DMO.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'm glad my belief in DMo is paying off big time. The guy always had it in him. All he needed was time on the court to play through some of his mistakes and a coach who would let him post up instead of camp in the 3 point lane.

You can clearly see that his post ups have helped his 3 point game. It all goes back to confidence. Some players need that from the coaching staff and DMo is certainly one of those. A hard worker who will continue to work hard. None of this success will get to him. The guy is a model professional.

On the offensive side beside his post ups, he sets solid screens, runs the floor, keeps the ball moving and is a very intelligent and underrated passer.

Defensively he is solid. Plays his position well, understands rotations and is beginning to box out better. The guy doesn't care for stats like rebounds. You can see that he would rather box out his man and let a smaller guy grab his boards.

15. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Nobody on this Rockets team defense Pick and Roll better than DMo. The coaching team should practice the players on that front too.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am thinking the majority of Euro players work hard when they come over.

The real issue in a nutshell is can they play the NBA game?

All of them can play the FIBA ball very well.

It sounds simple but heck very hard to do and almost impossible for the likes of Vesely, Milicic.

17. omgTHEpotential

I don't get this notion that it's just a style tranisition issue. Some of those guys just aren't that good. And same with american players. There are tons and tons of american busts (even more than international ones) each year.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, at last!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RyrYgCvxBUg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I would be interested to see D-Mo get 15 touches a game on the post.

He gets any shot that he wants.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's a valid point. But I want to see some numbers on how much the penalty benefits us and how much Howard's post up costs us (turnovers, missed shots, missed free throws, opportunity cost, etc.) and whether both sides add to to a plus or a minus.