1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Being right is more important

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Sorry if already posted. Nice mention:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Another great game for Motiejunas last night. Has to be among the leaders in the Most Improved discussion, if that discussion is happening.</p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/544147146971574273">December 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

there is more substance involved in his 'holic' talks than common basketball sense, calling jones a 'neck-romancer'.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

So funny because I have thought this many many times. Certain posters will re-categorize any success as just luck. How much luck does someone have to have before some posters realize that there might be more to DM's moves than luck.

5. basketballholic

A "neck-romancer" is a poster that is in love with Terrence's potential and thinks he can be a future All-Star.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think there is luck but Morey's so called 'success' is arriving very slowly.

Remember he was hired in 2007.

Postseason was not 'a stroke of genius'.

He is a good GM but I doubt that he is way above other GMs like some here think.

Good thing for him is that he has had a 'secure job' for a long time while he is constantly trading away 'assets' without emotions.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not. I would rather have Morey and Les go all the way to draft someone like Cousins or Davis.

A solid PF/C hybrid and save roster spots (Black/Capela/Dmo/Jones)

But given the circumstance I like TJones and the Lithuanian guy is growing on me.

I have had my issues with Euros not adapting to the NBA but I am positively surprised.

8. JesusAllen

JesusAllen Member

Complaining about Dmo''s lack of playing time last year is dumb. He isnt some grizzled veteran we benched. He was unproven 2nd year player. Young players can develop alot in a short amount of time. Good chance last year he would of been horrible with extended minutes. The DMo we see now is a mix maturity and cofinddnce. 3rd year is when players usally break out. he is right on track.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A solid PF/C hybrid? Is there a better such player out there than D-Mo?

The Euros have shipped to the NBA solid bigs such as Valincius, D-Mo, the Gasols, Dirk, and possibly Mirotic.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

This is just how McHale and most other NBA coaches treat young players. Practice, practice, practice and when they get their chance they had better show the coach something, or they go back to practice. I would do the same thing. The only excuse for any other method is on a bad team with a high lottery pick.

11. jedicro

jedicro Member

I agree. I had a good friend who was constantly riding on McHale for not playing D-Mo last year...as if he could see everything McHale sees in practice. And then when D-Mo would come in he would be extremely ineffective and he would blame McHale for not giving him more minutes. It was just a different version of the LOF argument for why Lin always struggled here.

McHale, for his part, has done a great job playing young players early when they prove themselves ready. Parsons, Papanikolaou, and even Black are great examples.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not sure if you can say the Euros are shipping in NBA Allstar caliber players on a consistent basis.

Now they are fortunate to have couple of them in the NBA.

The NBA is still based on the collegiate system and the Dleague(Farm team system).

Out of hundreds athletes every year there might be one or two Euros that be making it to the rotation or even starting position.

It takes them more time.

I am not answering the DMo question because a player has to play at least a full season or two seasons of good basketball.

The potential is there.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm trying to remember another GM that was able to completely rebuild his team with out ever experiencing a loosing season. He did it with nothing higher than a mid 1st round pick and no all-stars to trade. Maybe you don't think that's impressive, but if its so easy why it doesn't happen all the time?

BTW, I think it's happening pretty damn fast if you consider that he inherited Yao and TMac and had to ride with those guys. It certainly wasn't his fault he inherited damaged goods. Once they were off the books the Rockets turn around has come pretty damn fast.

1 person likes this.
  14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Exactly.

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

And right when he was hired, he drafted players like Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, and traded for Luis Scola. If it wasn't for injuries, he would have been more successful early on. That's especially true for 08-09, when the Rockets had a Big 3 and a deep team. He drafted and traded for young players so well the team couldn't even dip below .500 for three seasons. Then kept cap flexibility and was able to get us where we are today. Aside from a couple of moves, he has done a good job since he has been hired. I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not saying this is not impressive..

Comparable if you can trade a rubber for a house on Craigslist.

You have to trade, trade and trade up..... what are the odds tbh with you?

It would save time, resources to do it the convetional way.

Hinkie is doing it now. I guess Houston has the better resources and could attract free agents.

All you have to do it is get a cheap rookie contract with a young rising allstar.

Then follow up with players like Harden and Howard through free agency.

We have better chances to keep them than OKC.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Edit: Draft better than Philadelphi 76ers

18. jedicro

jedicro Member

That is exceptionally difficult.

That is also exceptionally difficult.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So do you think rebuilding/retooling without having one losing season below 50% is not 'exceptionally difficult'?.....

Nothing is easy.
    But at least you do not put people through that mediocre threadmill....14th draft pick or 8th playoff spot ever again.....

20. jedicro

jedicro Member

No. I was just responding to the "all you have to do is..." part of your post. I agree, nothing is easy.

Morey's brilliance has been in managing contracts, and managing expectations. The Harden trade didn't happen because he happened to be in the right place at the right time. He knew where the right place was and refused to move until the right time arrived.