1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not want to rain in your parade but if we are truly so consistent why did we always have hiccups..... like in the game against the Clippers.

They were having a field day... and Motiejunas had 6 points

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If DMo continues to play like he is currently playing, he will get paid. If someone like Jordan Hill can get 9 mil a season then I could see DMo get 10 if he continues scoring and playing defense at his current level.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Right on the money. :grin:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. vator

vator Contributing Member

Ok here is the deal, he will get a nice contract if he continues to produce. So will Jones. I think the talk of max is certainly premature and he'll need to show a little more and do it night in and night out. Now if he merely continues to play like he has been recently which is very solid with the occasional so-so game, 10 million is not out of the realm of possibility. Jordan Hill got paid, Pattrick Patterson got paid and freaking Marcus Morris even got paid. Before that Hayes, Landry and Scola. Even if D. Mo and TJ produce merely at current levels, they'll both be in line for sizeable raises when their contracts expire. Two guys who you can reasonably expect 14-15 points and 7-8 rebounds on a nightly basis from. I love the fact that they can both get that in completely different ways. That is a huge advantage for this team if they can both click at the same time. We'll be giving them a nickname like Scolandry in no time if they pull it off.

I hate that people always pit these guys against one another on this board when we could be celebrating the development of two exciting young prospects. There needs to be a D.Mo and TJ highlight video because both guys have delivered jaw dropping moments over the past 2 years. D. Mo is a classic back to the basic big man with ideal size and legit post moves, a crafty passer, does the little things, and is capable of defending big PFs and centers. TJ is an athletic, face up guy that is good off the dribble, good on the offensive glass, getting garbage buckets, and in a fast paced game. He is a solid defender on the perimeter because he is able to switch due to his athleticism and is a good shot blocker. Of course they both have weaknesses just like almost every other NBA player and it seems sometimes more time is spent here criticizing what they aren't instead of appreciating what they are and trying to argue either which one is better, which one should start or which one should be traded. Both of them producing is a win-win for the Rockets and I'm a Rockets fan. That's what I'm rooting for. I couldn't care less who starts, finishes, or is traded for a 3rd star to improve the team. As long as they both wear Rocket red, I want them both to play well because it makes the current team better and subsequently also increases their value as assets around the NBA for potential moves down the road.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'd do a little more research and hedge on that kind of statement until they figure out just how they are going to deal with the influx of cash the new deal will bring. It is NOT a given that they will just increase the cap for every team that year, there was an article published about it a while back talking about the different routes they are thinking of going to deal with it.

You have a tendency to talk a lot about the massive amount of cash added to the cap like it is a sure thing and it is not.

6. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Really. You might be right, but I just spent 10 minutes googleing the topic and found little indication that anything other than a massive salary boost will occur. And nothing that I did not already know. The CBA explicitly states the percentage of revenues the players will receive. There has been talk of salary "smoothing", increasing the cap in the summer of 2015 by $6M a team, but the players union was chilly to that idea. Even if that went through, it would still mean that the cap will increase by $400M in the summer of 2016.

Basically there is no chance that by the summer of 2016 the NBA cap will not increase by more than $600M. It is all best summed up right here on CF.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/7946/shifting-perspectives-2015-16-salary-cap-impact-rockets-plans/

#607 jtr, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Point remains, it is not a given yet. If I find time later I'll try to find the article I'm talking about.

I know its tough with your huge ego to admit you might not be right 100%, but this is by no means a for sure thing and as such you might want to hedge a bit when making those kinds of predictions.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Not to be ornery, but Bima (and Zach Lowe) explicitly stated that the cap will be going up by at least $600M and maybe as much as $750M in 2016. But as always, I have no crystal ball, and I might be wrong.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Wish I could be more exact on what I read, but it was last week and Ive slept since then.

Of course, the author could have been wrong or his sources wrong, but it does leave the question of just how are they going to deal with all that extra money because his arguments on how the large bulk addition to BRI was gonna effect things made sense.

I only mention it because it seems most people think the whole thing is gonna get tossed in there all at once and I just dont see that happening.

I dont pretend to be anywhere as good as Bima at figuring this stuff out, but I dont think even he knows exactly whats gonna happen and he will be the first to tell you that.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A very reasonable take. I just do not see how the NBA will get around the CBA BRI sharing contract. I look forward to reading that article. Thank you.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Haven't found it yet, but did a quick googs and found these articles. They quote Silver on wanting to "smooth" the increases in rather than have them go into effect immediately.

Just some food for thought.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

My point was more centered on how young he is and the numbers he put up last season. The win shares comment was more of an anecdote.

With Jones out probably at least another month or so, he will have a chance to take that starting PF spot alongside Howard, so we'll see. Either way, Jones is going to be out for so long it's hard for me to imagine him in the starting lineup the rest of the season. Which is a shame because he was playing so well.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I completely agree about Jones. However, it seems to me if he can make it to the court by mid January, He could be in NBA shape three or four weeks later. I wish him the best. That front line rotation, beyond D-Mo, is not optimal to say the least.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That's right. No one knows at this point whether or not any sort of cap "smoothing" will be implemented to incorporate the massive spike in BRI expected in 2016. The league seems quite intent on trying to push through some sort of smoothing prior to this summer; but (1) my guess is that their proposals are (not surprisingly) very pro-owner and (2) the players' union is apprehensive about adopting a smoothing proposal unless it is quite comfortable knowing most of its longer-term consequences.

So, UNLESS the league and the union can agree on a smoothing proposal -- an outcome that I agree makes the most logical sense from a fairness and competitive balance standpoint -- I believe the cap will automatically spike in 2016 once the (now-known) new TV revenues are baked into the league projections on which the salary cap is based. The "default" salary cap (if the league and union cannot agree on another number) is the sum of (1) the national TV money plus (2) 104.5% of the prior year's BRI (other than national TV money).

Here's hoping to both sides reaching a mutually agreeable smoothing proposal (something that, according to Zach Lowe, more and more league executives are turning pessimistic about happening by next summer). But failing that, the summer of 2016 may be the craziest (non-lockout) NBA offseason of all time.

1 person likes this.
  16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yup. Jones is the only big guy we have with perimeter skills, we'll definitely need him unless there is a trade.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I thought that the players union pretty much said no to using 2015 to smooth the salary increase. But for the life of me I cannot figure out why. And that gets back to my original point that we will be seeing some stupid contracts in 2016. Teams cannot carry over cap, so it is use it or lose it. But who knows. This is in the political arena, so I cannot forecast anything.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Thanks Bima, as always. I too wish that a smoothing agreement can be put into place. But honestly it is not looking like it will happen. If Morey states that he is not optimistic, well there you have it.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

From what I recall from Zach Lowe's podcast with new union chief Michele Roberts, I believe Roberts mentioned that the league's smoothing proposal (or at least one of them) involved only increasing the cap at the CURRENT (pre-TV deals) annual rate over the next several years. If THAT is what the league is proposing, then I don't necessarily blame Roberts for responding negatively to that proposal. While the same total dollars will still go to the players (via a huge check cut to the union at the end of each of the next several seasons, to be distributed among the players in a manner agreed to within the union's membership), that proposal would (further) artificially limit what any individual player could make on the open market. That is a fair criticism by Roberts. Again, if it is true that THIS was the league's smoothing proposal.

I haven't heard anywhere that Morey, specifically, is not optimistic about smoothing. Only what Lowe said about "several league executives." For all we know, Morey may be one of those league executives still optimistic about smoothing.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I believe I read that somewhere. I will attempt to look it up.

But if the league cannot agree with the players union about smoothing all hell is going to be turned loose in 2016. Do you know (I am sure you do) if the player max contracts increase significantly in 2016? Is the max contract tied to BRI or is it explicitly stated in the CBA. OK, I am being lazy here.

The implications of a $20M - $25M increase in the cap are mind numbing. There are few things a team can do to use the cap space wisely. They can take the players they view highly and if possible make them RFAs. While the 2016 free agent class is strong, it certainly is not $600M strong. No player in 2016 will exercise their player option. It is going to be like sitting arena side in a Roman gladiator match. I feel sure I will abhor it, but I will not be able to turn my head away.