1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That was a clear troll job by Bobby. Don't fall for it, and wonder why you didn't get anywhere two pages later. It is pretty obvious to see. He sees that me, you, and others posted about D-Mo, and absolutely nothing about TJones. So he swoops right in, and claims WE have an agenda. Have an agenda how??... by posting about D-Mo (that is mostly positive while being conservative with expectations).

You and I didn't say anything about Jones. He's just trying to bate you in. Just let him run his mouth, and troll himself to sleep.

2. malakas

malakas Member

the..."Setback"?? so you put the "" because you still think it's not legitimate?:grin:

No you are very happy and it shows in your posts. If you are a true Rocket fan you should be sad, because the return will not be as it would have been before.

3. malakas

malakas Member

You are right Dobro.
    I will let him boil in his own blood.

What do you think DMO will do with his contract next? QO or will he find a new contract regardless of his very serious injury that he still hasn't come back from?

4. dobro1229

To break from the Troll talk, I actually think that if Dwight does end up leaving in FA, Donatas will benefit the most. If Capela can improve enough to play with more motion in the offense (specifically thinking about alot of sets out of HORNS), I really like the potential of Donatas as the key big man offensively.

Also like to see a trade made (or signing made if a Durant/Dwight/etc. mega offseason signing doesn't happen) for a big like a Taj Gibson to pair with D-Mo & Capela.

Of course you are banking on Donatas to not just fully recover, but to also improve enough to play how he played from December to February in that stretch but for a full season. That's alot to ask of D-Mo I know, but its a gamble they might have to take.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, that's not what I said.....this is why conversations with people like you never seem to go anywhere, you don't pay attention to what is said and you just write your own narrative after the fact.

This is clearly going nowhere so feel free to go nuts with whatever nonsense you feel like posting. You have no time for rational conversation.

6. dobro1229

I think its going to come down to the wire for the Motiejunas market. I mean there is just no way to tell right now how he's going to finish the year.

Let's say he really just rehabs the rest of the year, and only plays sparingly.... What is a team willing to gamble there???

At the same time it could be the Rockets best shot at keeping him on a value contract so its a double edged sword. I think if I had to choose I'd hope that he rounds into form sooner rather than later, and make the Rockets pony up to keep him.

The trade deadline is an interesting situation though. I don't think the Rockets are scared to trade him at the same time if they feel they can really move the team forward in a huge franchise altering deal. But at the same time, I think the same concerns we have other GM's will have too so I don't think he's going to be the linchpin in any mega deal (that is not likely to happen anyways).

I can't predict the future, but if I HAD TO guess... and free agency started TODAY (which its not), I'd think offers would come in from 7 to 10 per year at the most as a starting point. Teams would probably want 3 years with a team option 4th. They want that 3 year deal at least to get his bird rights so if he comes back and really takes off they can secure him long term with the best offer. With the Rockets knowingly out there courting Durant & probably others, a smart GM that knows they are out of the market for the big fish go in on day 1 with an offer like this, and possibly overpay to get him knowing the Rockets wont want to tie up their cap holds.

But right now, the best deals he's going to get will still be from a team that is taking a gamble and wanting him to PROVE HIMSELF. Maybe D-Mo has proven himself to Bobbythenotsogreat & DD, but around the league, I think he still is viewed with question marks.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All these non-doctors making predictions - SHEESH!!!!

Let's see how he does - if he comes back and has a great last 20 games he is going to get a big offer...if he sits all year - probably not, but it only takes one team to want him to drive up his price.

He has proven himself to some of us, but players are paid by potential - and he has a ton still to go...

Guys that are as skilled as him, as fast as him, and as smart as him while being 7 feet tall do not grow on trees......not to mention he is probably the hardest worker on the Rockets team.

DD

8. dobro1229

I'm assuming you are criticizing my post. I would appreciate it if you could quote who you are criticizing so we know whose opinion you have an issue with.

This is pretty much exactly what I said. Malakas was asking for my guess, and I was open that it was a Clairvoyant prediction, but the final stretch of the season will dictate. Not sure why that has you so dumbfounded. Its a just for fun guess.

As you said, 7 footers with skill are paid based on potential alone even when they haven't proven themselves. Which is why I said that D-Mo will at least get a decent offer (whatever you consider a decent offer is subjective).

I don't there is anything controversial or offensive about that, but please let me know if you are still worked up about that.

9. DaDakota

I am not criticizing one post - nor worried about it. When I want to engage directly with someone I will - my point was aimed at several people who are making massive assumptions - as we all are.....

So, what we have here is a difference of opinion - yet a continued waste of space argument.

What we should be cheering for is our best PF DMo getting healthy sooner rather than later........and speculating on back injuries, calling a minor procedure severe or major is just balderdash.

You sir, and participating in hyperbole.....shame....shame shame.....

And who cares?

;)

DD

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Lakers also gonna make a pus

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

DD - I think everyone here is or should be pulling for D Mo to recover, not just as a Rockets fan but to support a fellow human being during some hard times.

Doc or non-doc, the science behind predictors of recovery after back surgery (even a less invasive surgery as D Mo had) is not very good, especially in athletes. At this point all you can do is wish for the best as he tries to get back to where he was by doing intensive rehab.

12. dobro1229

Actually I was trying to bring our consensus opinions to a place of mutual agreement. But good job of slicing that right down the middle with passive insults.

The fact is we are both big time D-Mo fans, but every time we engage about the guy (or really anything) you try your damnest to act on an island as if you're the only one who is right.... when I'm pretty much agreeing with you on virtually EVERYTHING. Hyperbole... about what??.. What have I exaggerated on that isn't pretty much the exact same point you are trying to make in the end (which is D-Mo is ... Good I guess & we want him to do well with the Rockets I guess??). Seriously dude?

I was only trying to get our collective heads together and to get you to stop being passive aggressive and actually reply to my posts if you want to "shame me" or make my opinions look assbackwards.

Congrats for putting more water in between the mainland and DD Island.

13. DaDakota

Oh Geez, give me a break!

I was trying to make a joke at the end, there, come on!

I am glad you like DMo, so do I - though I like him more as a SUPER role player who makes the team better.

I also, ....SHOCKER AHEAD ....Like Terrance Jones....I just happen to think Dmo is a better fit for the current team, and TJo needs to bounce the ball to be successful and as we have an UBER ball hog in Harden on our team that is not going to work.

So, I don't care whether people THINK his back is out, or whether they think he is about ready.

In the end, all that matters is what IS...and that remains to be seen.

So, glad you agree with me, and I with you - let's just ride it out and hope for the best...

DD

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This has to be the favorite card you tend to play when someone calls you out on your BS.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When someone ignores what I say and choose instead to go off on some narrative they invented after the fact, I'll call them on it. I'm glad you enjoy it.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

What the hell is a Super Role player. There you go make stuff up DD. There is no such thing as a Super role player.

And it is very clear that you care because you continue to say the same thing whenever someone says something about his status to when he might be coming back.

Oh he's the key in turning this season around. Oh he's this elite positional defender that will turn this atrocious defense around. Oh his elite post moves will take us to the promise land.

I understand you and dobro excitement for the young fella but I'm sorry I don't share that same excitement. 72 games doesn't really show me much. Now if he's been beasting for 2 or more years, well then I would say he's a difference maker. **** even Jones in his first year next to Dwight was very productive. He damn near posted the same exact numbers, Jones's numbers were slightly higher.

17. dobro1229

Objectively I see your point. There is nothing on the stat sheet that proves he's going to be a special player. And you are right that Jones actually looks like he's been the more solid player from a production standpoint (well up until this season).

Where I have been a D-Mo fan since the draft up until now kind of falls back on the "7 footer's with that much skill don't grow on trees" notion. Its the idea of having a 7 foot Scola on your team that can actually defend an NBA power forward. One that shoots three's around 40%.

Of course... again Objectively... I do realize (unlike some of the delusional D-Mo crazies not necessarily including DD because I think he is not invested in the demise of TJ) that D-Mo hasn't proven that he can be that player for a full season. Even last year towards the end of his stretch between November and February when he did realize his potential, he was starting to wear down with the physicality of playing every other day that many minutes. That's the next milestone for D-Mo. Can he produce where he did for that stretch for a full season, or closer to it?

I still believe in the guy's potential though even now after the injuries, but I realize that we NEED other guys too to man the spot. The biggest shame is really REALLY needed TJ this year to produce consistently this year since D-Mo was going to be out, and Harrell was going to be a typical rookie (even though the few TJ demisers claimed this Summer he was already good enough to start trading bigs). Hopefully next year (and maybe for a stretch to close out the season) we get some great D-Mo contributions that really help, but WE NEED TO BE REALISTIC. Players don't just come off the surgical table and have breakthrough NBA seasons. He's going to be rusty, and I'll say it now.... D-Mo will probably look like a bad NBA player for a few weeks this year.

But next year is when we really should judge D-Mo again after he's had a full off-season to get back to 100% and shake off the rust in training camp. Putting this much pressure on him to save the season or whatever is ludicrous.

#5757 dobro1229, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Agree. Dobro. Many great points, the Rockets definitely need a proven Vet PF for right now since Tjones is useless. Pipe dream is Ryan Anderson but Brandon Bass could do and I don't imagine it would be difficult to land him.

19. DaDakota

Sure there is and DMo is a Super role player.

A guy who fills a role that fits perfectly into what the team is trying to do, and because of that, it raises the entire level of the team.

There are lots of super role players out there.....

DMo is one for us.

DD

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Critical Thinking on your behalf and pretty darn creative might add. But again that's an incomplete assessment. 72 games is not enough data to constitute that type of praise. Dmo needs at least 2 years before calling him super whatever. And like I said before by your definition T. Jones would have been a Super Role player in his first season starting correct?