1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

A starting PF can back up the C position as well. Otis Thorpe backed up Hakeem.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Jones is, to put it politely, not a plus defender. At either position.

3. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I don't disagree. Think D-Mo can get more touches in the post with the 2nd Unit as well and he should abuse most backup bigs with that impressive footwork he has.

Either way I think he needs an increase in minutes, and Jones should still play around that 28MPG mark.

can erase Black and Dorsey and play D-Mo Jones and Dwight exclusively when we're healthy if that ever happens

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Yeah, I never said he was. You just had said you wanted D-Mo coming off the bench b/c he can back up the 5 as well. Well, having D-Mo start at the 4 and back up the 5 is an option as well.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Probably, but I just cannot get my head around the logistics right now.

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Until we get the PF of the future...

D-Mo and jones should start according to the match up...

With taller PF such as LMA, D-mo should start... With quicker PF Jones should start...

The same as the 94-95 season with Brown, Horry and Herrera...

T_Man

7. onreego

onreego Member

My only issue with DMo in the second unit is that the only person that has consistently looked for him is James. When James has not been on the floor I've rarely seen the ball go into DMo.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We only have one PnR passer on the team and that is Harden.

DD

9. bongman

bongman Member

It probably has something to do with double teams. James get that quite a bit and the DMo's man is the one doubling. Other players don't get that kind of attention.

10. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Kostas does a good job of getting the ball into DMo as well. I like the idea of Kostas getting most of the minutes that Harden and Ariza sit, and Donatas getting almost all the minutes behind Howard and Jones...if Jones is ever healthy again of course.

But I think DMo, against back up bigs in the post, could be a great 2nd unit scoring option for this team -- which, without a 2nd penetrater when Harden sits, desperately needs a reliable scoring method. I am damn tired of players just hoisting contested 3's when Harden sits (especially Garcia).

11. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Yeah I admit it. D-Mo is a much better player when Dwight is not playing.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is the Asik - Howard conundrum. If Howard is in then D-Mo must move outside, where he is much less effective.

13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

But, he is still considerably more effective/adept to the role of "stretch 4" than Asik ever was...even in the twin towers configuration that doesn't require the 4 to step behind the 3 point line.

DMO has proven he can play solid D and is a threat to post up and score + hit the occasional 3. That should be enough to get a man away from the paint to guard him when he goes beyond 10 ft, thereby freeing up the lane. This scenario almost never happened when Asik was in with Dwight...opposing teams would leave Asik unguarded and double up dwight/thereby clogging the lanes because his offensive game was almost null outside of the paint. DMO adds that dimension and thus I think could be quite effective playing with Dwight.

Having said all that, I like him with the second unit getting more post up touches (his obvious strength) and backing up the C and F with starter minutes at the F position depending on match-ups (and who cares if he actually starts or not--just play the man!)

14. HTM

HTM Member

I really enjoy watching D-mo work in the post... hope he gets a lot of touches there with the 2nd unit when dwight comes back

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I could not agree more.

16. radcan61

radcan61 Contributing Member

I agree but to me the fact that Dmo will shoot the three makes people have to guard him out there, the thing about Dmo is he can put the ball on the floor and create.

17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

yea--I agree...but Asik was never a threat to shoot behind the 3, DMO at least is and can hit..makes a huge difference for how we play the game.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is a good point. DMo doesn't have Jones's handle. But he has superior court vision to do a kick out or internal dump pass. His handle is good enough to threaten to drive from midrange, although if I were the defender, I'd just stay back and wait to block him at the rim. He needs to be able to finish better and get consistent with a pull up midrange like Scola so that the defense can't cheat.

19. radcan61

radcan61 Contributing Member

I think your right, the point i wanted to make is he works better on offense than Asik because he can leave the middle open and still play his game. I think his game is basic move your body and move the ball.

20. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

If we run on a fast break, I really think DMo should try to post up and shimmy when he catches the ball. Watching him do that in summer league was really effective even though it was against inferior competition. His shimmy is quick, so I have no doubt that whoever is guarding him will be a less ready for the direction that DMo chooses to go. DMo needs to be quicker with his motions.