1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. omgTHEpotential

OH, BY THE WAY

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/09qeRO6NkVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tf_FTE-4CIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:grin: :grin: :grin:

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

He should be. If not, he'll be relegated to the perimeter while Dwight turns the ball over in the post.

3. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

He never got consistent minutes. As a player your confidence is shot when you know you getting pulled after one mistake. Mchale has no choice but to play Dmo right now and can't pull him for making a few mistakes. Mchale isn't some genius because of Dmo recent play he was FORCED into this situation. There have been a few on here that have expressed the frustration over that.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is why I think sometimes the GM has to trade away steady favorites to force the development of younger players on a coach.

And this is 100% the reason I said all along that Asik was a luxury and that we were fine with DMo.

DD

#344 DaDakota, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Morey does this routinely to McHale. He also did it quite often with Adelman.

I think all coaches just have this tendency to stick with "old trusty" for as long as possible unless they're forced out of necessity to switch things up.

6. omgTHEpotential

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IFqK-YXlsHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. elainas

elainas Member

Dam, I bet with DMo "gym rat" habbits and honest will to be on the court - he become the second player on Lakers(with Swagie) which get ball from Kobe at least once per game(thats huge!) :D

8. noppeper

noppeper Member

Dmo is looking great out there and is making smart decisions consistently. If I had to compare him to another player, it would be Vlade Divac. Good passer and court vision, consistent in the post, soso shooter and rebounder, and awkwardly placed tattoos.

9. omgTHEpotential

I was thinking of a comparison for DMo and I think a Splitter/Diaw hybrid is a good one.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DMo = Sam Perkins

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Finally a non-Euro comparison. The rest of you people are so narrow-minded.

12. noppeper

noppeper Member

The Sam Perkins I remember was a deadly three point shooter, and did not have the post moves or court vision of dmo. I remember he always killing the Rockets with his outside shot.

Oh, and he is black. :p

13. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

Someone may have already said this, if so, I apologize. The good things that come from injuries to stars or starters is playing time for bench guys. Playing time is crucial for development. We are witnessing this with DMO, also with Papa and Canaan. Now we might get an extended look at Nick Johnson. Last year, Reggie Jackson became a prime time player when Westbrook went down for the Thunder, just one of many examples. When our starters return, our bench will be deeper due to these guys being able to develop with extended playing time. The fact that we keep winning at a great pace while our starters are out is very encouraging. Rockets Rule!

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Well said.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am really glad that they are feeding DMo in the post. I wanted them to do that to prove one way of another. Can he be a reliable post player?

If he couldn't perform well when he was fed regularly, then we could forget about hoping him ever be a good offensive player, because he had already shown that he was not a good jump shooter. It would also prove that not feeding him in the past was intentional because they knew he couldn't handle it.

But he did get his points. That shows that he can be effective in the low post, at least against some matchups. That means the fact that they did not feed him there in the past was a tactical mistake. It's either a coaching problem or that Dwight's ego was getting in the way, or both.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think he's better than Sam Perkins. Of course most of my memories of Sam were of him camping at the 3-point line.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Or was it just a practice time issue possibly? Last season the Rockets spent a lot of practice time working on feeding Howard. Most coaches, especially McHale, are focused on winning the next game. And from what I have read defense was the major focus in training camp. Perhaps McHale was forced into devoting incredibly valuable in season practice time learning how to properly feed D-Mo. Just speculation on my part.

18. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I am a big TJones guy, like his versatility at the $ spot. I think D-Mo should start and Jones can play 28MPG off the pine.

only concern I have is that D-Mo has the size and versatility to maybe backup the 5 spot.

So maybe start D-mo, take him out at the 6 min mark then put him back in to play with Jones when Dwight has a rest.

2nd unit of Canaan Terry Papa Jones and Dmo is solid.

Although I am sure Mchale will play Cisco... all a pipedream since we are never healthy

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I am a big D-Mo guy and I believe he should come off the bench, since he is one of the few bigs that can defend the PF and center positions very well. IMHO.

20. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

That's a terrible comparison. You're not very good at that game IMO.