1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I never just post any blank stats without any logical thoughts to support it, I am pretty sure at least some of the below points I had posted with the stats.

So regarding the point of Dwight's FG % against Dmo that I insist Dwight still will be a better choice offensive at low post, here are my thoughts :

1. the numbers are taken from 2 pt FG only since we are talking about low post play, which Dmo is clearly a much better 3 pt shooter than Dwight, arguing on that part is meaningless.

2. Neither Dwight or Dmo will take any mid range jumpers outside the paint, I think everyone will agree on this point.

3. So most of Dwight and Dmo's shots will be make within 5 feet from the rim.

4. A large % of Dmo's shot were hook shot or push shot (whatever that's been called), Dwight took a lot of similar type of shot also.

5. However, there are certain type of shots Dwight will make and Dmo did not show in his career so far can do the same (or with the same degree of efficiency) : shots above the rim, lobs from Harden to the rim. Offensive rebounds for put back.

6. The above rim stuff (dunks, lobs) are probably the highest % of shots of all, don't think anyone will argue that.

7. So that explain the stats to me that : Dwight is a much better player to finish above the rim, but maybe just the same level or even slightly worse than Dmo in low post hook shots, hence his overall 2 pt FG% is higher.

8. Since he is better on the most efficient type of shots inside the paint, that makes his P&R with Harden is one of the top efficient plays in the whole Rockets offense.

That's why the stats are matching with what we have seen from these 2 players playing on the court, and not just this year, or even last year, but through out the course of their career also.

No doubt Dmo had improved a lots on his hook shot this season, but I doubt anyone will argue he is a better target than Dwight that Harden should play P&R with and throw the lobs to him and no one can argue he is a better O rebounder than Dwight.

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm not even arguing DMo vs. Dwight in the post. I'm not even arguing your conclusion, though I don't necessarily agree. What I'm saying is that trying to support it by using field goal percentages from a season where one guy has played 40 more games than the other is an exercise in futility because it will ALWAYS favor the guy who has only played a handful of games (and thus, has recorded fewer attempts). I'm not the only one who pointed that out to you in that thread.

You were lecturing me about using what you perceive as "empty stats" to prove your POV. I'm simply pointing out that you did exactly that w/ regard to your 2pt FG% argument. That's all.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

regarding this point : the reason of Dwight or even Asik (if you will put him in this category) being an inside presence to affect the opponents shots is this, their physical presence inside the paint, their ability to jump up vertically to make your shot more difficult to pass over them.

When your big man will fell on the floor so often on D and like to take a charge more than jumping up vertically, how in the world can you compare him with Asik and Dwight?

4. omgTHEpotential

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=261835

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Okay, so I'm not going to read through all the posts, however....

DMo seems to play well when T Jones is not around. I am not sure why. T Jones seems to play well regardless (not much info on him without DMo unfortunately). D mo also seems to only play well when he starts (this and Smith likes to be 2nd unit).

Should DMo be our starting 4 when Dwight returns for the sake of his contributions?

Will DMo be effected by Dwight's return and obviously having less touches since Dwight will be back?

Will Jones be effected if he comes off the bench instead of starting? Is he good enough to run backup 5 minutes?

Will Dorsey be end of the bench/get no minutes?

Sorry for all the bombarding questions. I just haven't seen enough consistency from DMo during a time when he's not 2nd option. T Jones seems to be fine as a 3rd/4th fiddle.

Thoughts?

*Please replace effected with affected if grammar is not proper.

6. KlutchQT

Where rim protection is concerned, Dwight >>>>>>>>>> Asik >>>>>>>> DMo -- IMO. I never said the three are directly comparable. What I said is that he was ranked inside the league's top 10 rim protectors for a good time, among such players who carry reputations as above-average rim protectors. I personally think DMo is a good positional defender -- my eyes tell me that, and the stats on opponent FG% suggest that it is true.

No offense, but whatever the falling on the floor argument you're trying to make... I... yeah, no.

ETA: I only brought Asik into the conversation because you seem to be under the impression that one cannot alter shots at the rim if he isn't an elite shot-blocker. Asik (to me) is a good example that that isn't true.

7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Amazing isn't it?

Once when you realize that if you think deeper than just look at the numbers, you will understand what stats should actually be used for.

So the Dwight's "hook shot stats" are much worse than Dmo's,

and somehow his overall 2 PT FG% is still much better than Dmo?

that tells you what? His other over the rim stuff are probably at the 70-75% efficiency range while that's the area Dmo can do very little.

And people still want Dmo to be the better option that Dwight on offense?

8. KlutchQT

LOL. Brick wall engaged.

9. omgTHEpotential

For all the condescending talk about other people needing to get the "bigger picture" about using stats, you don't seem to know how to use them either. Of course DMo's % will be worse, because his range is much greater, he's shooting threes for crying out loud. By your logic, LaMarcus Aldridge (46.6% FG%) cannot even compare to someone like Mason Plumlee (58.2%)...

You're accusing other people of pushing their agenda when you are in fact trying to tell your own hand picked narrative of the situation.

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You should try to read, and than understand what others talking about first before just attack others.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

DMo was fantastic in November, ws average Dec, and has kep regressing defensively to the point that he is now well below league average :(

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

My eyes tell me DMOs not a rim protector. He plays good positional defense at times but its absurd to call him a rim protector, he doesn't strike any fear whats so over to deter an opposing guard in attacking the rim and stats spats. Quit calling him a rim protector

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are using one game's stat to compare with a season long stat? :eek:

14. KlutchQT

I don't doubt it. I'm pretty sure the stats were posted here in mid-December.

15. KlutchQT

Or what? LOL.

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You are criticizing another poster for using a small sample size in regard to Dwight, while using old small sample size data on rim protection. As of now, opponents are shooting 49% at the rim vs. Dmo, which is middle of the pack.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

DMo is more than solid as a rim protector overall, but he's elite as a rim protector when playing PF. I think the problem that a lot of people have is that to them "rim protector" means "shot blocker" when that's not the case. Since he's had to play center a lot more, his opponent FG% at the rim has gone up considerably, but isn't terrible....but that's to be expected when you play a PF at C. The fact that his numbers are still respectable shows just how good he is at it.

18. KlutchQT

Yes, while expressly stating that I was using a small sample size. Hence the words "or was at the time the stats were posted".

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If you also believe the Dorsey's stats is so ridiculous as I did, then I suggest you read the full content first.

20. omgTHEpotential

Pretty much this. Just because DMo is 7 foot tall doesn't mean he's a C. He's not really a tweener PF/C either. His real position is PF and he's the most effective at it. Sure, he can play some C for you, but don't expect anything great out of that (same with playing TJones at the C spot).