1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas unsure he'll be ready

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 11, 2015.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My point is that I'm and fan and You're a fan.

You don't know s#$% and I don't know S#$%. Even Morey has admitted that he is unsure if D-Mo will be ready to start the season. Even D-Mo has said publicly just the other day that he's unsure.

Morey's unsure, D-Mo's unsure, but BobbytheGreat is completely confident because DWIGHT came back in a year and was productive (albeit obviously hobbled and he admitted publicly he came back too soon)....

Paint me as unsure because again... I don't know S#$%. I'm just a f-Ing fan, and I'll wait to hear it from Morey and see it from D-mo first before acting like the Albert freaking Einstein of back injuries. The fact that you are arguing against that just shows how little you and some fans can comprehend when it comes to comparing the size of your....errr... basketball knowledge. I admit you and me both don't know jack = you taking it as me saying I know more than you... which is ridiculous. Let the real experts be real experts, and realize that you are a fan, and not the almighty basketball and basketball injury god.

#101 dobro1229, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Right lol. And the notion that there was some significant "TJ will be an All-Star" faction is RIDICULOUS, given that 99% of posters here have spent the last 2-3 seasons clamoring for an upgrade at the 4 spot. Like, constantly. What I quoted from Dobro above is my point -- you can't even say anything remotely positive about TJ these days (or anything about him at ALL, really) without The Usual Suspects swooping in to shat on him. I'm one who thinks DMo should start and that TJ can and should be dealt in the right circumstances -- but the complete overreaching to constantly dump all over someone who is still on this team to push an agenda that doesn't even need pushing because anyone with two eyes can see that DMo is a very good player... it's so so so so so tired.

3. malakas

malakas Member

and rookie Jones could also have developed in a good defender, and might still do. Capella can't create his own shot or shoot the long ball either and he's not Drummond or TT in rebounding either. (elite level skill). If we are going to compare rookies let's compare rookies. And see how ridiculous that hope/belief was about jones.

If you think there's plenty of reason to think that Capella can be an ALL STAR then ok. Don't be surprised if someone finds it equally ridiculous as you did when people said it about rookie Jones.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

What is the point of this comment? It adds nothing to the discussion and further proves you have little to back up your initial claim.

Once again:

You're claiming that "not crapping on TJ at every opportunity means you have an anti-DMo agenda?"

No one (not just me) should be convinced this has any merit whatsoever because you're unable (or again unwilling) to provide evidence that this is some growing sentiment among a significant amount (a seemingly necessary criterion of your claim) of posters on this bbs.

Then you go on to say
    So the notion above is ridiculous to you (99% is a vast exaggeration) but yet the notion that there's a significant (which again has to be a criterion for your initial claim) faction who think "not crapping on TJ at every opportunity means you have an anti-DMo agenda" exists is a valid point to you?

That's interesting.

Both ideas require the same logic to arrive to and yet one is ridiculous while the other is not.

5. KlutchQT

DudeWah, read this slowly. I. Don't. Care. Whether. You. Agree. With. Me.

IIRC, we went through this in another thread months ago, where you just couldn't seem to accept that I don't care. I'm sorry, but you'll just have to deal somehow.

2 people like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thanks, and you can't be more right about the agenda thing, but we will leave that one at bay.

TBH, it seems like all your questions above point to something I find very prevalent around here. We are still NOT segmenting 2012 individual player roster value from 2015 individual player roster value. Basically we are still stuck in 2012 as fans.

Biggest point I've tried to make is to look at the situation last year. Morey gave up FOUR 2nd round picks for two rental players (at the time) on one-year deals because they played at a position of need.

So when looking at the Jones situation look at it in two key ways-

A. Look at him as a one year contract at 2 mil per year & option to match next year
    and
    B. Look at the position?.... is it currently a position of need.

Then you need to look at question C which is-

... With the "assets" you acquire in a Jones trade, would you be able to flip those assets for a better player at that position of need?

IMO, unfortunately until I see D-Mo healthy, and Harrell playing at a high level, I'm going to feel that (B.) the 4/5 spot is a position of need.

Then with the assets we would theoretically get back right now for Jones, I do NOT feel confident that it could easily result in an upgrade at PF/C seeing as those Pablo Prigioni cost two second rounders last year and he's not what I'd call a hot commodity.

Sorry... I know that doesn't directly answer your questions, but I think before answering your questions, its important to understand how I'm viewing Terrence, Donatas etc. because its not about asset collection at this point.

And if that isn't clear enough then YES, I'd be more than willing to risk Jones hitting free agency at the same time as Donatas knowing well that if he gets offered more than we can afford, i would let him walk knowing that this 2015/16 season we still got more positive net value as a real player in a contending year than we would have otherwise if we would have had to give up potentially MORE assets to get a player of equal value when we got ourselves into trouble not having adequate depth at a position of need.

2016 Summer is a long time from now, and we still have a full season to try and go deep again in the playoffs. We NEED to really focus on this season first and weight the value of a one-year contract player differently than we would have back in 2012.

Here's the direct answers to your questions. If you want further clarification, shoot-

Yes... I think its possible, but unlikely unless the market floods with more available bigs

No. Not sure where there would be benefit to the other team

Morey and Les were apparently willing to pay Parsons if they landed Bosh first two years ago... so who knows if they land a big fish, and they are capped out regardless.

I guess, but it has to do more with weighing his on-the-court value for 2015 vs. theoretical trade asset value

Both matter, but "Now Assets" have a much higher weight in 2015 than they did in 2012.

#106 dobro1229, Sep 14, 2015
  7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Another meaningless statement. It's not about me agreeing. Or you caring what I think. It's that no one should believe your claim. You should probably avoid posting things that are obviously false and you cannot prove to the contrary, then further getting into a tizzy in which your best line of reasoning is "I don't care what you think!"

On every side:

There's probably hardly any posters here, if any, who think "not crapping on Jones every chance you get means you have an anti-D-Mo agenda."

There's probably hardly any posters here, if any, who think there is still a significant active faction of people who think Jones has all-star potential.

There's probably hardly any "fans" here, if any, who are actively rooting for Jones to fail.

Well...except maybe cheke. But he's probably rooting for everyone to fail.

8. KlutchQT

LOLLLLLLLLLL. I hope you feel better now!

9. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

I'm not guessing.

$20 tip jar bet?

10. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

It's true. It's so true it's caused intellectual flight from the conversation. I like many I think are fatigued by the LOF-esque, troll tactics of the TJ haters. My ignore list has grown biggger, but I can't help but see when the usual suspects get quoted. I mean seriously, you can't even come to a Rockets fanbase message board and simply notify other Rocket's fans that Terrence Jones is on TV in a charity game without the usual suspects swooping in like seagulls to make a bunch of noise & shat on everything. It's beyond annoying. What's the harm in rooting for the best in all of our players? And if they get traded, what's the harm in bolstering to the national fandom how valuable all our players are?

And the fact that every thread, no matter what the subject, gets hijacked the soonest moment someone says something positive about Terrence Jones in some indirect context....it's reducing the GARM to that of YouTube comments.

Back to D-Mo's readiness...I got lots of things to say about D-Mo and his back but I'll separate that to another post. I love the guy. I got high hopes for him, and because so, I'm super worried about him.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Damn, that's a good reply to use around here. Gotta write that one down.

[​IMG]

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Anyone who has to resort to that mentality over a simple question should probably refrain from posting their opinions on a forum. Or perhaps refrain from having opinions at all; that might be more suitable.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

My comment has nothing to do with y'alls back and forth.

2 people like this.
  14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

This is a make it or break it season for him... Would be a huge addition to the playoff roster.

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Mine still applies. :p:grin:

16. KlutchQT

Haha! Feel free. :cool:

17. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Jones does have allstar potential

18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Well, from what we've read and heard, it's not likely that DMo will be ready to go come October 28th. He's a young PF and you can't rush back from any sort of back injury. For those of us who have suffered with back pain or surgeries, it's understandable. DMo is a large man, which in turn, can cause longer recovery times due to his weight and body structure. Shoot, the cracks in my thoracic 'braes have been a chronic dose of hell. :) I'm sure DMo has incredible pain, and I wish the best for him as a person because back injuries are no joke.

The good thing going for him is being young. It's plausible that he'll heal faster than Dwight, but I understand that their injuries were completely different. Still, science suggests that youth speeds up the healing process. Fingers crossed.

We have a legitimate starter in TJones, in my opinion, which, on this board, seems to becoming TJ vs. DMo lol. Donuts has numerous flaws, but we've witnessed how he can influence games in a variety of ways. He's one of those PFs that can do a bit of everything, maybe not at an elite level, but his stats do show him to be a sort of unique tweener.

I don't agree with that one idiotic poster who claims that TJones doesn't have "drive" and has no interest in winning. I think TJ has shown how effective he can be, and that he is learning to be more consistent. Yes, he was bullied throughout the post-season, but every young player experiences that. Some of you expected him to be the second coming of Barkley or something, which is totally unfair. Remember how instrumental he was in Game 6 against the Flopper---errr Clippers. His ability to spread the floor to nail a few 3s, as well as put the ball on the floor shows his diverse skill set.

Look, I'm not claiming that TJ is an all star or on the same level of ,say, David West, but he's not the scrub that some of you believe. He's far from it.

I think the issue is that we haven't had a power forward who can nail jumpers, post up, rebound (double-double), defend and take over games in awhile. Luis Scola could actually take over in the post, and before he made a poor decision to join Doc, JSmoove was able to take over in a variety of ways. It's probably because we're die hard fans, but you can't expect TJ to be the PFs that we adored because of their consistency. TJ plays just as hard as everyone else, but he's young and he's still learning. And, if you've followed him this summer, he's busting his ass trying to improve. IMO, that shows his commitment to becoming a better player.

With that said, some of you should be more grateful that we have TJ as, quite possibly, our starting PF while DMo heals.

I'm always nervous that Dwight is going to get injured, probably subconsciously after the sad moments of disappointment with Yao, and it appears that Morey will be looking for a guy/s/ to help out in case something happens. Morey is great at finding guys that help you get through those weeks of recovery. See: MThornton, a tweener that can run point if necessary and put up big numbers in a hurry, much like Ty.

So as deep as we are in the back court (Have you seen PatBev?! This is going to be a great year for him if Kevin figures out how to play/sub him with Ty/James/MT/Jet), we have some injury-related issues down in the paint.

And, just like MT, Morey seems to like guys that have direct and indirect ties to good ol' Coach RA. (see: Chuck Hayes :(, though it didn't work out), like MT does, but only through the golden years of Ricky coaching the Kings, before MT was a name we recognized. Now, Rick, as we all know, could make average players into semi-household names for die hard fans like you and me. With the West solidifying rosters and making it a damn nightmare in terms of depth, the East can't compete.

The guys that some fans call "washed up" can be the pieces that put any given team over the top. See: Andre Iguodala. That's the key to the 4 spot. One team's "trash" or misjudgment becomes another team's subtle answer.

It might take some talking near Obama's crib or a view from the 6, or an examination of the overstock on Bourbon St., which seems to be an option each year, but I'd be surprised if DM doesn't make a slight adjustment to add to our age. Youth and Wisdom are a great mix for championship contenders.

As usual, I'm just a lucky ear to various discussions related to college and NBA ball. I've got a few friends in higher places, just like we all do. Nothing more, nothing less. Hate or like if you prefer. I'm a fan of Doc, Clutch, BimaThug, Popeye, Oeilpere,Cyber,etc...but again, I've never claimed to be a genius like Woj. I just work in the hoops realm with amazing young men and some pretty cool coaches and agents.

I'm thankful that we're no longer struggling to be elite. The Moochie years were fun (those buzzer beaters!!!), but man, missing the postseason was a terrible feeling. Same with the contracts. See: Kelvin Cato, Mo Taylor, Shandon "I'll show up some nights" Anderson ;).

This year will be fun, and on paper, with one more front court adjustment, we may have the best team we've seen since a healthy Yao, TMac, RonRon, Scola etc...

Just over a month and early Christmas for Rockets fans begins. I'm pumped!

#118 Codman, Sep 14, 2015
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nene
    Taj Gibson
    Ryan Anderson

All good targets.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

My god , I just wanted to quote this for the epic ness and how spot on it is. Most people don't fully appreciate the lack of information we as fans are subjected to . Stats , injuries , and many more facets of the game are discussed on another level within the organization . This echoes my thoughts on the DMO injury . While I'm hopeful for a full and speedy recover , a back injury for a seven footer is a serious matter and there has been no real evidence either way pointing to a full recovery or complications . We just have to wait and see.