1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas unsure he'll be ready

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 11, 2015.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yea this is pretty much how I feel. DMo has probably grown into a better individual player than Jones last season, but I thought Jones was the better fit with the starters.

Really excited to see the growth of these two next season, health is all you can ask.

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Holy **** you're one annoying ass poster.

3. basketballholic

Congrats. You've hit my ignore list. Chirp away. I won't see it.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

DMo played a lot more inside last season since he was playing the 5 so much....that's going to give him less shots on the outside.

Also, I don't want Jones taking 3's, he can't hit them at a respectable clip.

5. basketballholic

When you look at 5-man units from last season .... DMo with the starters was one of the very best lineups.

6. dmoneybangbang

Pretty much this. They are two opposite players who fill two different roles. DMo would be a very good 6th man with this team's current make up, especially as he plays back into shape.

7. dmoneybangbang

Based on what?

8. basketballholic

9. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Of course it was, Dwight and Harden are racists!!! It all makes sense now. And naturally McHale obliged to their 'request' of who they wanted to play with..:grin:

10. basketballholic

Here's the plain truth concerning DMo and Terrence.

Terrence will not be here after this season and will most likely be traded at some point during this season IF we can salvage any value for him at all. (He might also be waived under the right circumstances.) Harrell is his replacement. Harrell is a better player right now than Terrence is. And we've got Harrell locked up for 3 seasons at a minimum salary contract. We're simply not going to pay Terrence to not shoot jump shots and have our offense play 4 on 5 offensively while simultaneously not being able to match up defensively against other playoff bigs and not rebound. Sure he's a great garbage man. But you don't pay guys double-digit millions of dollars because they are great garbage men. Terrence may indeed find a team to give him $10+ million per season. But it won't be us. Because we aren't going to clog our cap with a garbage man. On the other hand, if Terrence regresses this year like he did last season....he might not get more than around 4/20 or possibly even less....which is still too much of a cap-clogging deal for us to maintain on our cap going forward. Terrence is a goner. Doesn't matter if he's your starting PF on opening night. He's a goner.

DMo may or may not be traded. If Morey can get the right deal he'll trade DMo. For instance, DeMarcus. If DeMarcus comes available, Morey will offer DMo plus other contracts/picks to get DeMarcus. Why? Because DeMarcus is the better 2-way player and because DeMarcus gives us tremendous leverage in dealing with Dwight's free agency. And if DMo continues his breakout he will be making more money in 2016 and 2017 than DeMarcus is making. Think about it. If DMo gets a max contract offer next summer...he'll be making close to $20 million in 2016. While DeMarcus will be making $16.9 million and $18 million respectively for 2016-17 and 2017-18.

Not to mention Durant. If Durant becomes available, Morey will trade everything but the kitchen sink for him (including DMo).

However, barring the right deal coming along, DMo will be sitting on the cap next summer with a cap hold of slightly above $6.2 million.

11. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

This is false. I don't know what "story" you heard, but it's inaccurate.

I think you're basing a "made-up story" on the chemistry between Dwight and TJ.

Dwight and James didn't control the rotation. It was McHale, along with a push from Morey.

James played his ball here in AZ and has plenty of ties/family here. It's obvious he knows that it's his team for now, but he isn't like LeBron, in terms of making demands. You have to have a championship for that. Unfortunately, neither James nor Dwight has a ring (yet).

If you're referring to the "dog house," plenty of players have seen it during parts of the season. McHale has a dog house, too.

If our two leaders had so much clout, the roster would be completely different.

Anyway, I hope DMo heals up more quickly than is expected. I'm not his biggest fan, but I understand his value as a young, versatile player. I'll even admit to doubting him, but TJ's starting role has nothing to do with our stars' reach.

Rick started giving TJ minutes in the past, and it's grown from there. We haven't had a pick and pop forward since Scola, and losing Josh to LAC makes TJ that much more important.

12. basketballholic

I said nothing about "demands" Codman. You're reading into what I said something that's not there. There were no demands. That's not even close to what I'm talking about. But you can keep guessing.

EDIT: Generally speaking, what you described is how it played out. But there's more detail there than what you laid out. You are downplaying James and Dwight's input. They did have plenty of input.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Important for what? For his lack of defense? For his inability to hit the 3? For his mediocre rebounding?

What does Jones bring to the team that is important? I like flashy dunks as much as the next person, but is that really all we want from a starting PF? Also, what does Jones bring that Harrell doesn't?

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i wish jones and dmo the best this year, with 164 games played between them. because that's what they both need is good health.

15. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I don't need to keep guessing. I have ears.

I'm simply pointing out that your claim is inaccurate.

We all see what you're implying, especially with all of your past posts about TJ and DMo.

It's like an obsession.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Possibly though the decline is three years going.
    He must take more this year and so should Jones. They are left unguarded.
    Now with lawson they will be left even more unguarded AND they will receive the ball in more rhythm in better spots.
    I expect that all the roleplayers 3pt% will rise. ariza's dmo's tj's. The good pg effect.
    Only 84 mins in the regular season with +0.8 for combination of Howard+ Jones.That's not enough sample. Not enough AT ALL.
    What it shows tho is that Harden is a better fit with DMO but still in the minus. (-0.6 for Jones, -0.1 DMO).

17. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Hahahah what truth? Harrell better, no value for TJ, TJ 100% gone? Oh you mean the plain made up bowl of manure you just made yourself in your own head there? Got ya ;)

By the way, keep going, I'm loving this delusion.

Tnx for clearing that nonsense up. Some people would still have believed him because he talks so much.

18. basketballholic

No, you don't know what I am implying. If you did you would have stated it. You guessed that I was implying "demands". I wasn't.

19. malakas

malakas Member

What Harell brings? I must have missed some matches because I haven't seen him playing in the NBA yet. Can you elaborate?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't matter if Jones is left unguarded, he has no business taking 3's till he can hit them consistently around 33% (He shot 28% from 3 last year in the regular season and playoffs). When it comes to Jones having the ball on the perimeter he just needs to pump fake hoping someone buys it so he can try to drive or he needs to pass it even if he's unguarded. If DMo was still shooting that poorly, I'd say the same for him.