1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

63 pages I don't feel much like filtering through...

When is any sort of deadline regarding Dmo/rockets?

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Llull see

1 person likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I would imagine there is a soft deadline for before the season starts, but technically I don't think there is one as long as we don't withdraw our QO.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As I recall, the only three remaining deadlines the thread has discussed are:

1. For the purpose of SnTs, if Morey wants a 1st rounder back, any 2016 first rounders cannot be traded for 30 days after signed. So some SnT scenarios might still be delayed due to the 30-day trade restriction.
    2. Oct 1st is the last day for DMo to sign the QO (unless Rockets extend the QO, unlikely).
    3. He can sign Offer Sheets up until March 1st, which the Rockets can match. But after March 1st, he can only sign with the Rockets.

Also, training camp starts Sept 26th, so DMo might impose that as a deadline for signing.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Poor Dmo. Having to sit back and waitwhile other scrubs have been signed already. Talk about bottom of the barrel.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Anyone else ready to just roll with Beasley and Harrell at the backup-4 spot?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Beasley is the 2nd worst player on the roster, I'd be sort of okay with Harrell as the backup 4, but Beasley shouldn't even be on the team honestly.

That said, if DMo accepts the QO it's the best possible scenario at the 4 given the fact that Anderson will get hurt at some point.

8. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Did you even watch the Rockets last yr? Beasley was our second best scorer last season. Judge a player by how he plays not his reputation.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Did YOU watch the Rockets last year? He was the 3rd worst defensive player on the team behind only Jones and Terry and nearly every game he was on the court he ended up being a net negative despite any scoring he might have done. The guy is terrible based on how he plays, not based on his reputation.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I still like Beasley as an offensive weapon off the bench, I've got to agree with Bobby here on his overall net performance (mostly due to his bad defense).

Per-36 minutes last season, Michael Beasley was a (-6.6) points per game.

By comparison (among quasi-regular contributors last season - minimum 400 minutes played):

Terrence Jones (-8.3)
    Josh Smith (-7.2)
    Corey Brewer: (-1.9)
    Dwight Howard (0.3)
    Trevor Ariza (0.5)
    Jason Terry (0.9)
    James Harden (1.4)
    Patrick Beverley (2.4)
    Clint Capela (2.4)
    Donatas Motiejunas (3.0)

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Beasley is now a good trade asset. Teams might shrug and say, Yeah, we'll take him....could help us out for this season that he's signed; hey, could we do worse for that kind of money?

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

For further point of comparison (and because I had a few minutes to run the numbers): In games last season in which K.J. McDaniels played 10 minutes or more (i.e., not counting 5-minute garbage time stints), K.J. averaged an impressive (+12.1) per 36 minutes (sample size = 14.1 mpg in 12 games). A couple of those games were huge blowout wins, but that number is still a good one.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Beasley was very bad defensively last year. The thing with Beasley is that we can't play him if he's not scoring relatively efficiently.

14. dmoneybangbang

In Beasley's defense (pun sorta intended) he did come on mid season from playing in a vastly different league. I have no beliefs that Beasley has some sort of hidden defensive powers waiting to be set free, but I think he can be closer to average than objectively terrible.

That said I think with Beasley's salary he would be a great trade asset if we need to sweeten a DMo SNT. I would much prefer to keep Harrell.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

BWHAHAHA man are you serious. Yeah you're such an expert recruiter for sure.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For the sake of comedy, what part of that do you disagree with?

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Him being the second worst player on this team. As well as he shouldn't be on this team. Nothing about that is comedic at all.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well...he is the second worst player currently on the roster now that Jones is gone. Then again, you were a big Terrence Jones fan so it makes sense that good basketball isn't exactly something you are a fan of.

You have to look at the impact that players make and overall Beasley's impact was fairly negative. Hell just look at the numbers Bima posted earlier today.

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Well at least Beasley is healthy. No body knows what heck is going on with DMo.

20. alethios

alethios Member

That's why we should limit his minutes and play him when we need to inject some offense. He's good for 10-15 minutes which allows him to score some needed buckets and limit the damage defensively.

Bima's numbers definitely suggest we still have a place for DMo.